Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-25-2010, 09:32 PM   #1

Share |

Filler

Caulk or putty to fill trim nail holes in baseboards and doors? (new work)

Thanks

Last edited by diykc; 01-25-2010 at 09:36 PM.
diykc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 12:57 AM   #2
Exotic NooB

Filler

Joint Compound usually does the trick.

However, You could use Water Putty, or Oaty plumber putty, or maybe toothpaste. I used wood putty once because I did not have anything else and it worked on patching small holes.

How many places do you have to patch?

You may be able to get away with a substitutions for small jobs like patch work...

Sounds like you are doing the whole banana. I would use the mesh and joint compound. (It comes in a 4-5 gallon bucket for about $12.00.)

...Are you talking about finishing stuff? If so then Waterputty and Woodputty works kind of nice... You can mix the color of the stain into the putty to match the colors of stain is on the existing wood... If you tap the nails in enough for putty, you can leave the holes as an option. It's all cosmetic and nothing these days are really worth the effort unless it is the fancy stuff. Some of the fancy woodwork camouflage the holes anyway.

Last edited by inlikeflint; 01-26-2010 at 01:13 AM. Reason: Thought he was talking about covering drywall holes. Read it too quick.
inlikeflint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 04:06 AM   #3
paper hanger and painter

Filler

Quote:
Originally Posted by inlikeflint View Post
Joint Compound usually does the trick.

However, You could use Water Putty, or Oaty plumber putty, or maybe toothpaste. I used wood putty once because I did not have anything else and it worked on patching small holes.

How many places do you have to patch?

You may be able to get away with a substitutions for small jobs like patch work...

Sounds like you are doing the whole banana. I would use the mesh and joint compound. (It comes in a 4-5 gallon bucket for about $12.00.)

...Are you talking about finishing stuff? If so then Waterputty and Woodputty works kind of nice... You can mix the color of the stain into the putty to match the colors of stain is on the existing wood... If you tap the nails in enough for putty, you can leave the holes as an option. It's all cosmetic and nothing these days are really worth the effort unless it is the fancy stuff. Some of the fancy woodwork camouflage the holes anyway.

Toothpaste is absurd.
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote