DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (http://www.diychatroom.com/)
-   Painting (http://www.diychatroom.com/f4/)
-   -   A Few Different Questions About Painting (http://www.diychatroom.com/f4/few-different-questions-about-painting-7967/)

Mayzee1 04-23-2007 02:23 PM

A Few Different Questions About Painting
 
Hello All, I am new to this site, but I see all the great advice everyone is getting and I'm hoping someone out there can help me with a few questions. I should close on my new home this week. It is a repo and has been vancant for years. The walls are dirty and in need of paint. I had figured that I would use Kilz and prime them all and then paint. Is this accurate? Also, how do you figure out how much paint you will need for each room? Do you normally apply two (even 3) coats even with a primer? I would appreciate any help you all can offer. Thanks!
Mayzee

slickshift 04-23-2007 02:53 PM

Welcome to the site Mayzee1

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mayzee1
The walls are dirty and in need of paint.
I had figured that I would use Kilz and prime them all and then paint.
Is this accurate?

No, not really
First off, usually there's no need to prime for re-painting

There are exceptions, but in general, when painting latex over latex, there's no need to prime

Some exceptions would be repairs, new drywall, painting over oil, some bathrooms, extreme color changes, nicotine/smoke stains, or using a tinted primer can help when painting deep reds or deep blues

However, the walls will need to be cleaned and scuff sanded
If you are painting the whole house, it will be worth it to invest in a sanding screen and a pole...it makes quick work of sanding
You'll want to use a pole for rolling too, so get one that you can switch the "head" on (to a paint roller)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mayzee1
Also, how do you figure out how much paint you will need for each room?

The paint "coverage" will be on the side of the can
It will be an average, or range (best/worst case)
Usually it's between 250 and 400

You'll need to measure the square footage of the walls (length X height = sq. ft.), then add the wall sq. ft. up for total sq. ft. of the room

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mayzee1
Do you normally apply two (even 3) coats even with a primer?

Two coats would be normal or standard for a quality paint
It might be "OK" after one, but two looks and lasts much better

The cheaper paints often need three or more

J187 04-23-2007 04:04 PM

Agreed ^^


My 2 cents -

when you buy a pole, price the roller and pole individually - I saved $15 and got a nicer product by purchasing the two seperately.

Buy good paint. I really don't mean to offend anyone and I'm not going to dance around the subject - Behr is not good paint. I haven't met a big box brand that I like. My opinion is use Sherwin Williams or Ben Moore. Thats it. Zinsser priming products are great! My favorite paint - Sherwin Williams Duration - its silky smooth application, covers like I've never seen and washes amazingly well. Its a little pricey - but more than worth it. Then again, Behr is really expensive because it takes 4 coats to get a decent finish.

BUY GOOD BRUSHES!! Dont' be tempted to save money here - honestly, even if you are just buying brushes to cut-in, pick up a quality Purdy brush and you will be sooo happy. Dont' throw out the cover it comes in, when you are down, wash it and dry and store it back in the cover. Use a brush cleaner and a brush comb.

When you add up your coverage needs, dont' forget to subtract for things like windows, closets, etc.

Don't trust masking tape - using it is fine, but don't expect it to block all paint - its not a license to just recklessly paint all over the place - still try to stick to a nice, clean, even line and use masking tape as a safeguard. Good luck.

shapeshifter 04-23-2007 04:34 PM

I agree with j187 about the Sherwin Williams paint. Also, I think this week, they are having a 25% off sale on their paints. Guess where I'm going tonite!

J187 04-23-2007 04:40 PM

If you do go to Sherwin - anyone that is - ask them to keep your records on file. They keep the EXACT formula of everything you buy if you ask them too - if you either

a. forget the color
b. need more paint

then they can make the aditional paint with the EXACT same formula - ensuring a near perfect match. You may think a formula is a formula right, paint is made same way each time? Nope. There are variances and this is one service that SW offers to eliminate them.

shapeshifter 04-23-2007 06:55 PM

Great advice, j, I haven't done that but I will. I used up all the paint that I had in the same room, so I didn't have to worry about that.

Paintguru 04-23-2007 07:50 PM

If the walls are dirty, simply clean them with TSP or a liquid detergent and water.

There is no need to prime the walls, unless there is an oil-base finish on them and you are planning on switching to latex.

The average gallon of paint covers roughly 350 square feet of wall. The amount of coats you will need will depend on the color of the wall now and the color that you are painting.

If they are similar colors, two coats will do. If they are drastically different you may want to use a colored primer to help coverage.

An average sized 12' X 12' room with 8' foot ceilings has about 384 square feet. Most people try to save money on paint by subtracting for doors and windows and any other openings. I always tell people to not subtract anything, as the excess paint you will have left over will come in useful for touch-ups later on or other projects you may have. So if you had a 12' X 12' room, you would need 2 gallons of paint for two coats.

I hope that helps a bit.

troubleseeker 04-23-2007 09:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J187 (Post 42011)
Agreed ^^


My 2 cents -

when you buy a pole, price the roller and pole individually - I saved $15 and got a nicer product by purchasing the two seperately.

Buy good paint. I really don't mean to offend anyone and I'm not going to dance around the subject - Behr is not good paint. I haven't met a big box brand that I like. My opinion is use Sherwin Williams or Ben Moore. Thats it. Zinsser priming products are great! My favorite paint - Sherwin Williams Duration - its silky smooth application, covers like I've never seen and washes amazingly well. Its a little pricey - but more than worth it. Then again, Behr is really expensive because it takes 4 coats to get a decent finish.

BUY GOOD BRUSHES!! Dont' be tempted to save money here - honestly, even if you are just buying brushes to cut-in, pick up a quality Purdy brush and you will be sooo happy. Dont' throw out the cover it comes in, when you are down, wash it and dry and store it back in the cover. Use a brush cleaner and a brush comb.

When you add up your coverage needs, dont' forget to subtract for things like windows, closets, etc.

Don't trust masking tape - using it is fine, but don't expect it to block all paint - its not a license to just recklessly paint all over the place - still try to stick to a nice, clean, even line and use masking tape as a safeguard. Good luck.

Spoken by a man with obvious experience. Unless you are into self abuse, so not even walk down the paint aisles at HD and Lowes, Both the Behr and American Traditions (Lowes) are sad stuff. We use only Benjamin Moore unless a customer requests Sherwin Williams, which we use with no hesitation, but anything else gets a thumbs down. If you want to make your painting easy on yourself, go where the pros go, use the products they use, and don't be afraid to ask for advise from the sales staff. They deal with professional painters and contractors daily, and they get to hear the negative feedback on poor quality products. If they sell junk product, they loose customers, and bad news spreads quickly among trades people, so their business suffers. Quality paint, rollers, and brushes removes 70% of the anguish most homeowners experience when the attempt to paint.:thumbup:

Mayzee1 04-24-2007 07:59 AM

Thanks so much to everyone for the great advice. Sounds like I can save some money on primer and buy the good paint. Thanks!!


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:03 AM.


Copyright 2003-2014 Escalate Media LP. All Rights Reserved