Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-22-2013, 06:13 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

fence staining easiest way

What is the best tool for staining a fence? I have a light commercial sprayer that uses 5 gal cans double action piston it's new still haven't broken it out yet would this be over kill? If not, some tips might help. I've two fences to do, neither one has had stain applied yet. One is 1 year old the other is 2 years old.The smaller fence I was thinking of having my 17 year old daughter do, so maybe the big rig is too much for her? What would a good choice for a hand held airless sprayer that does a fine job and will last for years?

wmurky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 07:24 PM   #2
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

Need more input. What type of fence construction is it? What kind of wood and how rough is it? Are you responsible for staining both sides? Do you know if you plan to use a semi-transparent, semi-solid or solid stain?

You mention the fences are 1 and 2 years old? Do you need to clean and condition them before staining? Are you able to spray or are their houses and cars nearby that might be damaged from overspray?

Generally speaking, I think it is usually difficult to get the coverage you want from a stain with spray equipment (especially if using a penetrating type) but it may make sense depending on your answers to the above. For most fences I have done, I have used thick nap rollers (usually 9"w and 4"w) chased with a brush. It can be handy to have someone chase drips or work along with you on the opposite of the fence. It is good exercise to run around it though.

Last edited by user1007; 06-22-2013 at 07:32 PM. Reason: Added stain example chart
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 07:35 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmurky
What is the best tool for staining a fence? I have a light commercial sprayer that uses 5 gal cans double action piston it's new still haven't broken it out yet would this be over kill? If not, some tips might help. I've two fences to do, neither one has had stain applied yet. One is 1 year old the other is 2 years old.The smaller fence I was thinking of having my 17 year old daughter do, so maybe the big rig is too much for her? What would a good choice for a hand held airless sprayer that does a fine job and will last for years?
I don't think a bigger sprayer would necessarily be overkill. On most any sprayer you can turn down the pressure and use a small tip if you want to reduce the volume of material sprayed. Although smaller sprayers can be better when smaller amounts of material are needed.

The Graco True Coat sprayers are good little hand held units. And they are not real expensive, the simple corded version is not much more than 200$.

It's always a good idea to wash exterior wood before staining, even with new wood, and certainly if its 1-2 years old. It will greatly increase the life of any stain or coating you put on.
Also, if you spray stain, back brushing it to work it into the wood grain is necessary for the stain to perform and look like it should. Most stains say that right in the can.
Attached Thumbnails
fence staining easiest way-image-2315893941.jpg  
Jmayspaint is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 07:54 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,146

........and nothing wrong with rolling and brushing. I can usually roll out a section of regular dog-eared flat panel fencing in 10 minutes or so depending on the type of staining product being used. Definitely make sure your fencing is clean before progressing with stain.
Gymschu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 09:19 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 10

pressure treated pine semi transparent stain {cedar color}, rough sawed, but not really rough. both sides. one is a shadow fence (wood alternating on both sides 6' tall, the other 4' dog ear slats on one side only with 2" spacing both are the same wood and cut.
wmurky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 04:17 AM   #6
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

Personally, I would roll and brush it. No risk of overspray, less waste, and I should think just as fast. That said, I guess you might use less stain overall spraying it but am not sure you will get the coverage and penetration you want even back brushing or backrolling it.

user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote