Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-27-2004, 08:11 AM   #1

Share |
Question

faux paint colors

I amtrying to come up with a combination of colors to do color washing to a diningroom. i want the final outcome to be a dark red...on the maroon side, not orange. if i try to use lighter colors next to the dark red i get pink. Does anyone know of 3 colors to use together that will achieve depth but not go pinK?

KCpainter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2004, 01:59 PM   #2

faux paint colors

Is what I've heard (I'm no painter) is to go 2 shades down for the background color. I would only go with 2 colors but that's just me.

hatchet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2004, 06:03 PM   #3
Paperhanger/painter

faux paint colors

You can use any and all colors for faux finishes. My suggestion would be to get three colors you like, and test drive them on a piece of scrap drywall to see what looks best. Layer them differently, and you will get different looks.
Old 02-01-2004, 06:03 PM   #4

faux paint colors

The best results your going to get when using a 3 colour wash is to apply it it in the 3 shades you desire starting with the medium colour first, the darkest second and the lightest last. I would try a dark red, deep burgundy and black in this wash to try to retain the true burgundy look. Use some sample boards and experiment a bit using a sponge (dense chair foam) or a cotton rag and be sure to cut the paint with at least a 6:1 ratio of glaze/water to paint to get good flow. Also whatever base color you start with make sure to use a pearl sheen to give added slide during application.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCpainter
I amtrying to come up with a combination of colors to do color washing to a diningroom. i want the final outcome to be a dark red...on the maroon side, not orange. if i try to use lighter colors next to the dark red i get pink. Does anyone know of 3 colors to use together that will achieve depth but not go pinK?
Mark is offline   Reply With Quote