Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-17-2012, 10:47 AM   #1

Share |

Faux finish glaze color for dark orange bathroom?

I have been using valspar's translucent mocha color glaze to faux finish walls with a tan base coat, and absolutely love it. I am in the process of painting my bathroom, and thought "hmmm... I wonder what the glaze would look like"... well, it just made the wall look dirty.

I am assuming I need a glaze that would lighten the overall appearance rather than darken it... could you guys give me some opinions/advice?

Attached is a pic of the work in progress so that the color can be seen.

Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Faux finish glaze color for dark orange bathroom?-bathroomcolor.jpg  
ThePatriotWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 02:19 PM   #2

Anyone? Would really love to give the bathroom a good look.
Old 09-18-2012, 06:21 PM   #3

Faux finish glaze color for dark orange bathroom?-image-3857983604.jpg

I don't know if this helps or not, but this is the only project i have ever done where I glazed lighter.

In this photo....I bought the artwork for my bathroom and then tried to semi-match it. The ceiling was popcorn so I scraped it off and spread on Sheetrock mud for a textured finish. Then I painted it blue and put a beige glaze on it. I made the glaze from my trim paint. I wasn't sure how the beige glaze would work but I liked it.

On the far right, you can see where I painted the wall blue and put a brown glaze on it. The brown glaze was made from the brown stripes wall paint. And yeah, it does just make the paint look dirty but it was perfect to match my weathered looking artwork.

So glazing lighter over dark orange might look a little weird if there's no reference to it in the room. I think you ought to try making your glaze from the same color family, like a lighter or darker orange. I've never tried that so its merely a suggestion.

I'm kind of like you.... Other than the above bathroom project, my glazing is always brown glaze over tan or gold.

Good luck! I'm sure it will be beautiful!
Beeba is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Beeba For This Useful Post:
ThePatriotWay (09-19-2012)
Old 09-19-2012, 07:20 AM   #4

Thank you for your time and reply.

Did you make the glaze by mixing untinted glaze and paint? If so, do you recall the brand/type glaze you used and the ratio you used?

I am thinking about buying a couple shades lighter, and a couple shades darker of the orange, some glaze, and experimenting... the worst that can happen is that I have to paint over it. I'm painting it anyway, and if it doesn't get faux'd, it needs a second coat anyway.
Old 09-19-2012, 08:41 AM   #5

My recipe for glaze is one part paint, one part glaze (Ace brand) and two parts water. I am not sure exactly what the label says... Maybe "decorative finish glazing". I can't remember. There was only one type available when I bought it.

I have heard several times that glazing liquid is simply wallpaper paste. I also can't be sure that is correct because I have never used it. It does look identical, though.
Beeba is offline   Reply With Quote