DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (
-   Painting (
-   -   fat (2" circumference) 4" rollers vs. regular hot dog (

amakarevic 04-21-2013 12:55 PM

fat (2" circumference) 4" rollers vs. regular hot dog
I was wondering if anyone could explain what the difference in application is between the regular skinny hot dog 4" rollers vs those that are much bigger in circumference (like 2"). also, what is the name for the latter.

Here is what I am referring to:

joecaption 04-21-2013 01:46 PM

More surface area to hold more paint.

amakarevic 04-21-2013 01:55 PM


Originally Posted by joecaption (Post 1164260)
More surface area to hold more paint.

do you know if the fat ones cause more splatter for that same reason?

also, do you know what the fat ones are called?

ddawg16 04-21-2013 03:59 PM

I like the little hot dog shaped ones that are about 1" in dia.....the get into tight areas behind the toilet tank.

Splatter? The all splatter....some just more than others....and depends on how fast you go....

jsheridan 04-21-2013 06:27 PM

"Hot dog" rollers are for what dawg pointed out, for getting behind tight spaces and rolling things like spindles, pipes, etc. They're really not for rolling walls. I've used the 4" velour/mohair minis for finish rolling shelving and cabinets and it leaves a nice factory looking finish. The 4" (2in dia) are just the short end of the standard roller cover length - 4, 7, 9,14, 18" - and they come in 1/4, 3/8, and 1/2" naps. They are designed for rolling walls and come in handy when you have a lot of areas too small for a 9" (or 7) cover and too large to brush out, or where a nap texture is preferred/required over a brushed look. There are multiple other uses for each, but technically, they're not exactly interchangeable.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:50 PM.

User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2016 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.