Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-21-2013, 11:03 PM   #1
*RJ
Avoid divorce, hire a pro

Rewards Points: 10

Fair Bid?

I've only received one bid but I believe it to be a good one...I think. I have no idea what it costs to paint the exterior of home these days. Anyhow the bid is for a 1700 sq ft, two story home.

photos of house: http://www.flickr.com/photos/rjander...7616234455215/

Bid: (quotes from painter)
-powerwash
-caulk where needed
-prime raw wood
-2 coats of Sherwin Williams SuperPaint on body & trim
-$2200

This guy is a neighbor. Super nice guy. Has painted another house on the street and it looks great. Trusted. The reason I post this is I always get more than 1 bid on projects. But my instinct tells me not to even bother in this case as it's a good bid (again...instinct, not sure if it's a good bid or not). But I wanted to ask some pro's to be sure.

Thank you

Last edited by *RJ; 06-21-2013 at 11:21 PM.
*RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 11:08 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 3,352

Fair Bid?

Get more quote and then you'll know how good it is.

Old 06-22-2013, 12:48 AM   #3
JOATMON

Rewards Points: 2,398

Fair Bid?

I can relate to your gut feeling....but if you don't get another quote....then you will always wonder.....

And if he is stand up guy....it will not hurt his feelings at all....in fact, if knows he is giving you a deal...he will relish in the fact that you now know how good of a deal he gave you.

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 05:58 AM   #4
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 2,476

Fair Bid?

That price sounds really low----He isn't a pro, correct?

If he is including the cost of paint, he is not making minimum wage---Just my uneducated guess---I just shelled out $400 for paint for one large room with a large entertainment wall---
Old 06-22-2013, 07:26 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 500

Fair Bid?

That does sound quite cheap.....

I guess if the guy plans on doing it by himself in a couple week period, and making 8-900 each week (after material) and doesn't have to worry about paying insurance, etc.....

I sometimes to quick and cheap exterior jobs for a realtor in anticipation of a sale, or in between rentals. Even in that context, it sounds cheap.

I doubt you could get close to that price from a professional company. Could be wrong, its hard to get a good feel for a job by looking at pics.
Jmayspaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 07:58 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 2,154

Fair Bid?

I thought these type of questions were not allowed on DIY? There's just no way to answer the question. Fair to us is not gonna be fair to YOU! Most of us on here are professionals with overhead,INSURANCE employees, taxes, vehicle and equipment maintenance so our pricing structure is gonna be way different than some neighbor doing it on the side with NO INSURANCE, etc. That $2200 paint job may be the most expensive painting you ever have done at your home if this guy falls and breaks his neck or gets overspray on cars, other vehicles.......without insurance. Just saying.
Gymschu is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Gymschu For This Useful Post:
cdaniels (06-22-2013), chrisn (06-22-2013), Jmayspaint (06-22-2013), ltd (06-22-2013), oh'mike (06-22-2013), user1007 (06-22-2013)
Old 06-22-2013, 08:02 AM   #7
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

Fair Bid?

Here is the language the site moderators came up with....

"How much will it cost?" Asking for price estimates here.

That said I too would make sure you can afford someone who is not bonded, insured, etc. Make sure your personal liability insurance is in force (a $1M rider is not a bad thing to have anyhow and is not expensive).

Last edited by user1007; 06-22-2013 at 08:11 AM.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to user1007 For This Useful Post:
Gymschu (06-22-2013)
Old 06-22-2013, 12:39 PM   #8
Painting Company, NY

Rewards Points: 516

Fair Bid?

Also, most states charge sales tax on repairs and maintenance, painting of a structure that has been previously painted is considered repairs and maintenance. You should find out, ask your painter about this for your state. If so, then there should be sales tax added to that price too. I do agree with most here. I would ask to see current certificates of insurance, both general liability and workers compensation insurance. An un insured painting contractor could cost a home owner a lot more than just the contracted price.
housepaintingny is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to housepaintingny For This Useful Post:
user1007 (06-22-2013)
Old 06-22-2013, 01:01 PM   #9
Remodel and New Build GC

Rewards Points: 2,002

Fair Bid?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddawg16 View Post
I can relate to your gut feeling....but if you don't get another quote....then you will always wonder.....

And if he is stand up guy....it will not hurt his feelings at all....in fact, if knows he is giving you a deal...he will relish in the fact that you now know how good of a deal he gave you.
Just my personal opinion....

1) Dawg brings up an excellent point if you are concerned with bottom line price.

2) I flip homes at times and am very cost conscious (value conscious is perhaps better) as I set my own spec's and often buy my own paint (to control degree of application on dry old cedar). I think you have a very good bid.

3) I really don't know your siding condition (is it ship lap) and your weather, but a significant consideration / spec is whether it is sprayed and brushed out, or just sprayed.

4) If you have history on the man's work, and he is a neighbor, you are a heck of a good leg up over hiring some unknowns.... in my opinion.

Good luck
Old 06-22-2013, 09:00 PM   #10
*RJ
Avoid divorce, hire a pro

Rewards Points: 10

Fair Bid?

Good points from a lot of you and I thank you. I will ask him a few more questions such as "sprayed & brushed". I will also seek another bid to be sure.

You guys rock!
*RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 12:04 AM   #11
DIY Enthusiast

Fair Bid?

Quote:
Originally Posted by *RJ View Post
Good points from a lot of you and I thank you. I will ask him a few more questions such as "sprayed & brushed". I will also seek another bid to be sure.

You guys rock!
Why another bid?
You stated you have already seen his work on another house in the neighborhood and it looks great.
you think he's a great guy.
Mike and others have given you an example of the real cost which would probably be atleast double what great guy neighbor is charging you.

Do you really want to offend him(sees guy walking around your house) and risk having him back out of his offer to paint your house by having another guy bid on it when you already know the quality of his work and his great price?
sublime2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 03:19 AM   #12
paper hanger and painter

Rewards Points: 2,120

Fair Bid?

I am going to throw my 2 cents in and repeat the obvious.

INSURANCE issue is very important.
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to chrisn For This Useful Post:
Gymschu (06-23-2013), user1007 (06-23-2013)
Old 06-23-2013, 07:01 AM   #13

Rewards Points: 1,000

Fair Bid?

Couple of things:
Does that price include paint?
Just because a paint job looks good doesn't mean it is good.
Every horror story I've ever heard starts out with "a friend" "a neighbor" or an "unemployed relative".
I don't even need to know what market you're in to tell you that price is too low. You're either getting a super deal or no deal at all.
jsheridan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jsheridan For This Useful Post:
user1007 (06-23-2013)
Old 06-23-2013, 07:11 AM   #14

Rewards Points: 2,024

Fair Bid?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gymschu View Post
That $2200 paint job may be the most expensive painting you ever have done at your home if this guy falls and breaks his neck or gets overspray on cars, other vehicles.......without insurance. Just saying.
From the above statement I read it as, If a painter falls from a ladder on my property, then I am going to incur something more expensive than the cost of the paint job.

I disagree with a blanket statement like that.

Clearly the dangers of ascending and descending a ladder are open and obvious and so far as the homeowner does not create nor aggravate the open and obvious danger then a fall from a ladder by a painter could be just a fall from a ladder due to no fault of the homeowner.

-Did the homeowner direct the painter to ascend or descend the ladder in a certain way that constituted a hazard? Like backwards using only one handhold while the other hand patted the top of the painter's head. This would be considered "Active Participation" by the homeowner.

-Was the painter an employee of the homeowner or an independent contractor?

-Who owned the ladder?

-Why did the painter fall?

I will not even get into homeowner responsibility regarding overspray on other vehicles.

Just saying.
hammerlane is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to hammerlane For This Useful Post:
MTN REMODEL LLC (06-23-2013)
Old 06-23-2013, 09:47 AM   #15

Fair Bid?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammerlane

From the above statement I read it as, If a painter falls from a ladder on my property, then I am going to incur something more expensive than the cost of the paint job.

I disagree with a blanket statement like that.

Clearly the dangers of ascending and descending a ladder are open and obvious and so far as the homeowner does not create nor aggravate the open and obvious danger then a fall from a ladder by a painter could be just a fall from a ladder due to no fault of the homeowner.

-Did the homeowner direct the painter to ascend or descend the ladder in a certain way that constituted a hazard? Like backwards using only one handhold while the other hand patted the top of the painter's head. This would be considered "Active Participation" by the homeowner.

-Was the painter an employee of the homeowner or an independent contractor?

-Who owned the ladder?

-Why did the painter fall?

I will not even get into homeowner responsibility regarding overspray on other vehicles.

Just saying.
This is something I have been curious about as well. It doesn't seem to be so cut and dry as "its not my fault, I didn't cause the accident"
It's different from state to state, but in a lot of states a homeowner can be held responsible in some situations. If a homeowner knowingly (or unknowingly) hires an uninsured worker, labor codes in some states define that worker as an employee of the homeowner. Thus putting insurance responsibility on the HO.
It's confusing, with a lot of gray areas. I would certainly check your states labor laws before making the assumption that you are not at risk.

A 2003 CA state Supreme Court case, Fernandez v. Lawson, is a good example of how uninsured workers can be trouble.

At the least, check your homeowners policy for potential complications.
It does seem far fetched thinking about it logically, that you could be responsible in any way. But in some areas/cases you would be.

Last edited by Jmayspaint; 06-23-2013 at 09:50 AM.
Jmayspaint is offline   Reply With Quote