Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-22-2009, 10:18 PM   #1

Share |

Failure of primer to dry to a smooth film, results in uneven paint marks.

My wife used Sherwin Williams Primer to prime cabinet doors but it left the uneven paint brush marks once it dried, every thing got affected. Do I need to start over (strip 100%) or can I lightly sand the surface to a SIMI smooth surface and then paint? Will the paint from Sherwin Williams truly level out as it says on the can with the surface SIMI smooth? The cabinets are from 1966 and in great shape until my wife took it upon her self to start my project because I was taking to much time to get started. Now that I am ready to start I am not sure in what direction to go. I need your help!!!! Thanks

jCaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 06:22 AM   #2
Too Short? Cut it Again!

You don't have to strip it all off but definitely sand the surfaces down so they are smooth and prime again if you need to to do so. Do not make the mistake of thinking the finish coats will fix mistakes in the base coat no matter how bold the self-leveling claims of the best of paint manufacturers.

Make sure you are using a good brush! The cheap ones can have, coarse, unevenly trimmed bristles to start with and will leave brush marks if not the bristles themselves stuck in your finish. They have terrible brush anatomy and you will fight using them because they don't function well. A nice 2-1/2" angled sash brush is a good choice for most around the house projects and will make your projects go a lot smoother. Invest the $15-25 and take care of them and you will have them for quite awhile. Purdy and Wooster are a couple of good brands I usually buy but real paint stores have their own private label professional brushes that tend to be alright in my experience. Be sure to get brushes to match the type of paint you are using.

Add some Floetrol per the instructions to your finish coat to almost eliminate brush or roller cover marks. Use good paint from a paint store like you are with Sherwin Williams. "Feather" out your brush strokes as you go. Rinse out your brush if you leave it for any length of time or you notice it getting heavy on you. Always clean it after every use. Don't cheat and leave it in the fridge in plastic or drowning in water.

Alternatively, a 3/4" nap roller cover and semi-gloss gives a nice finish to kitchen cabinets. In any case, work with the doors off and all the hardware out of your way if you have the luxury of having someplace to put them.

And note the lesson learned here. Next time move faster on your assigned projects! All of them! All at the same time! Or she will feel empowered to start meddling in the plumbing and electrical next (and you will soon be stubbing toes on the new heated bidet in the bathroom), you will find cute pink tools in your box or you will find new shelves with shoes in your garage or basement workspace!

Last edited by user1007; 10-23-2009 at 07:17 AM.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 05:22 PM   #3

3/4 nap for cabinets?
waynech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 06:00 PM   #4
paper hanger and painter

I am pretty sure he ment 1/4
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 06:33 PM   #5
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Almost always use 3/4" with semi-gloss. Am I different or something? It is the way the old geezers taught me. Only thing I use 1/4" for is contact cement.
Old 10-24-2009, 04:48 AM   #6
paper hanger and painter

Wow, never head that before. I would think for semi, it would be laying on way too much paint to finish off smoothly, but hey,if it works for you.I do normally use 3/4 for all walls and ceilings against the norm 1/2, so who knows? For cabnets and flat smooth surfaces and semi, I do use a 1/4
Old 10-24-2009, 06:58 AM   #7
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Like I say, it was training from a couple of old time painters so I must admit I never thought of using a thinner nap cover since as much as they annoyed me at times they were usually right. And remember, like you, I only use nice, full bodied paint and would never try it with box store crap. I guess I would worry a thinner roller would not put enough paint on to get a good surface but will give your approach a try. 1/4 scares me though so may compromise around 3/8 or 1/2 for my trial.

Last edited by user1007; 10-24-2009 at 07:05 AM.
Old 10-24-2009, 08:44 AM   #8
paper hanger and painter

3/8 will do it, 1/2 is still holding a lot of paint. Maybe the old timers had it right? I am considered an old timer by most standards, so must be somewhat careful how I respond.