Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-28-2014, 04:40 AM   #1
Chris from Philadelphia

Share |

Eye/face protection for spraying with airless

I love using my airless sprayer. The only problem is when spraying indoors, there is overspray everywhere and when I'm done spraying, I have paint on my face and in my eyes. I considered using goggles or a face shield, but I figured they would just get overspray on them constantly and I'd have to keep wiping them off and basically smear paint all over them and then have to wipe them off even more and waste all sorts of time. I'd be spending more time cleaning them off than I would be actually painting. Any suggestions/tips for what to use to protect my face and eyes? Don't worry, I already where gloves, a hat, and a respirator.

hellohello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 06:57 AM   #2

I use these.

https://advanzgoggles.3dcartstores.c...ew_full_site=1

They have a roll of film that covers the eye piece. When overspray accumulates, you turn a knob and it changes the film.

There a little hard to find in stores. I order mine through SW.

Jmayspaint is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jmayspaint For This Useful Post:
hellohello (02-28-2014)
Old 02-28-2014, 07:24 AM   #3

Use a lot smaller tip and remember to hold the the gun 12" from the wall. Put a whip hose on the end of your hose, it is a smaller diameter and cuts down on overspray. Spraying inside use a 410ff or even a 510ff (ff=fine finish). Sounds like you are using the tip that came with the sprayer, it is usually a 517 which is OK for outside but makes a fog inside. Plus it wastes a lot of paint.
ToolSeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ToolSeeker For This Useful Post:
hellohello (02-28-2014)
Old 02-28-2014, 07:41 AM   #4
Chris from Philadelphia

Thanks for the tips TS. Yeah I've been using a 515 inside. I'll have to pick up some fine finish tips. And what do you mean by a whip?
Old 02-28-2014, 08:44 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellohello View Post
I love using my airless sprayer. The only problem is when spraying indoors, there is overspray everywhere and when I'm done spraying, I have paint on my face and in my eyes. I considered using goggles or a face shield, but I figured they would just get overspray on them constantly and I'd have to keep wiping them off and basically smear paint all over them and then have to wipe them off even more and waste all sorts of time. I'd be spending more time cleaning them off than I would be actually painting. Any suggestions/tips for what to use to protect my face and eyes? Don't worry, I already where gloves, a hat, and a respirator.
Hi Chris...

I'm curious what kind of interior painting are you doing with airless spray? Residential? Commercial? The reason I ask, you should not be getting that much overspray with airless spray - believe it or not, the transfer efficiency of airless is actually pretty high...

I don't know what you know or don't know about spraying with airless, so take no offense to the following basic suggestions...

Typically (unless you're spraying irregular surfaces with many difficult angles) overspray is determined by technique. Bounce-back, often confused with overspray, is due to application too close to the surface - and/or spray with too high of pressure...Pressure setting on an airless should never be any higher than it takes to atomize your paint - higher pressure beyond that will not apply the product any faster, and will not save any time, especially when you factor clean up time...But it will result in more product used than necessary and increase labor time.

In contrast to bounce-back, overspray is usually caused by improper tip size, too high of pressure and/or your gun being too far away from the surface (try to maintain gun distance from surface at about 8" - 12" from the surface).

If you maintain passes with your gun perpendicular to the surface - and avoid sweeping arcs as you spray, this will also help keep overspray to a minimum. Personally, I prefer to release the trigger at the end of each pass and engage once you begin your next pass...but many don't agree with me on that.

Obviously, using the proper tip will, again, keep overspray to a minimum...and, depending what type of paint you're using, replace your tips every 50 gallons or so to eliminate pump wear and transfer inefficiency.

If painting walls and ceilings in a residential or commercial setting, I find it best to use a 24" gun extension that allows you to stand a little further from the surface during application...this also helps with the overspray situation, especially on standard ceilings.

I hope some of this info helps...good luck.
ric knows paint is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ric knows paint For This Useful Post:
hellohello (02-28-2014), joewho (02-28-2014), oh'mike (03-01-2014)
Old 02-28-2014, 04:12 PM   #6

Ric you say it much better than I can. To the OP a whip hose is a short length of hose that goes on the end of your hose then your gun goes on the end of that. It basically reduces the size of the hose at the gun.
I really had to laugh at your post, it made me remember my first time spraying it looked like a fog had settled in. When I was done about the only thing that wasn't painted was when I took my glasses off.
The Following User Says Thank You to ToolSeeker For This Useful Post:
hellohello (03-01-2014)
Old 02-28-2014, 05:09 PM   #7
JOATMON

You don't need no stinking 'protection'.....

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ddawg16 For This Useful Post:
hellohello (02-28-2014), ToolSeeker (02-28-2014)
Old 02-28-2014, 11:06 PM   #8
24+ years of fixin'

I use a spray hood, and petroleum jelly on the exposed areas of my face.
gmaint is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gmaint For This Useful Post:
hellohello (03-01-2014)
Old 03-01-2014, 05:50 AM   #9
Chris from Philadelphia

Thanks guys, are interiors typically painted with whips and fine finish tips then?
Old 03-01-2014, 06:48 AM   #10

It really depends on new construction with nothing in the house it's blow and go. And a lot depends on the person spraying and their experience level. Re-read Ric's post it has a lot of info on cutting down on overspray. The little whip and ff tips are just a couple things that will help. Technique is probably the biggest thing and that comes with experience.
Spraying has evolved a lot in the last few years. Instead of being in it's infancy it's in like the teen years, (probably not the best analogy). Sprayers are now affordable to home owners, with the new sprayers the pressure is more manageable, the new tips, guns, and other things help control overspray. Now you can go into a room and paint the trim with an airless and minimal masking. Things like 3M hand masker make it possible to mask an entire room in about 20 minutes so you can spray the ceiling.
Spraying is not for everyone, there are pro's on here who don't like like it, heck I was one for a long time. Spraying is not a fix all you MUST know when to spray and when spraying is not the answer.
Sorry guess I got off topic. There are some really good videos on you tube by Idaho painter on spraying that may help you. On a couple he goes into tip sizing. Good luck on your project.
Old 03-01-2014, 07:38 AM   #11
Chris from Philadelphia

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToolSeeker View Post
It really depends on new construction with nothing in the house it's blow and go. And a lot depends on the person spraying and their experience level. Re-read Ric's post it has a lot of info on cutting down on overspray. The little whip and ff tips are just a couple things that will help. Technique is probably the biggest thing and that comes with experience.
Spraying has evolved a lot in the last few years. Instead of being in it's infancy it's in like the teen years, (probably not the best analogy). Sprayers are now affordable to home owners, with the new sprayers the pressure is more manageable, the new tips, guns, and other things help control overspray. Now you can go into a room and paint the trim with an airless and minimal masking. Things like 3M hand masker make it possible to mask an entire room in about 20 minutes so you can spray the ceiling.
Spraying is not for everyone, there are pro's on here who don't like like it, heck I was one for a long time. Spraying is not a fix all you MUST know when to spray and when spraying is not the answer.
Sorry guess I got off topic. There are some really good videos on you tube by Idaho painter on spraying that may help you. On a couple he goes into tip sizing. Good luck on your project.
Thanks TS, yeah I'm a big fan of the Idaho Painter on YouTube; watched all his stuff. I guess my problem is that I haven't really experimented with different tip sizes. So I'll see how I fare with a fine finish tip, as well as a whip.

The Following User Says Thank You to hellohello For This Useful Post:
ToolSeeker (03-01-2014)