Which Exterior SW Paint To Use? - Painting - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-20-2008, 02:16 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Which exterior SW paint to use?

I would like to repaint the exterior of my house. However, I am also planning to sell this house in the early Fall of this year. I am a DIYer (enjoy it and to save money). I looked at Sherwin paint at lunch and feel there a 2 exterior paints to choose. The first is Superpaint Exterior latex and the other is A-100 Exterior latex. Cost is a consideration here, but I want to do a quality job using quaility paint. I plan to use 2 coats of paint. I know every manufacturer has really good products and some a little lacking. Will either one work as well as the other with 2 coats? Your thoughts, please.

Advertisement

madavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 03:07 PM   #2
Tired, Cold, and Damp

Rewards Points: 2,000

If you are doing the same color, then in the SW line-up I strongly suggest Duration
For most maintenance paint jobs (not color changes), it is a simple one-coat procedure
With it's high build properties it will make even a so/so prep job look much better
As for the one coat, IMO that m o r e than makes up for it's higher cost
It makes a 5 day paint job a 2 and 1/2 day paint job, A two day job a one day job, etc...

Less time, looks better, well worth it

Advertisement

slickshift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 10:07 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 75

I agree with slickshift about the Duration. We used it last year on the trim on our brick ranch and we will never use anything else, ever. Very easy to apply and looks great.
cjett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 12:40 AM   #4
Pro Painter

Rewards Points: 250

Superpaint is the better paint, hands down. It's 25 yr. mfg. warranty is the first clue.

There's always a monthly sale at SW and I'm sure superpaint will come up somtime. Supepaint is a high volume seller, so it should be very hard to find a store that will knock a few buck off the retail price.

Duration would be the number one choice here. It's chemistry is in another class than SP or A-100. One generous coat of duration is equal to two coats of superpaint in durability and longevity.
joewho is offline   Reply With Quote