Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-11-2012, 03:47 PM   #1

Share |

Which exterior sheen for a white house with black shutters?

Last year I purchased a foreclosed home that had been sitting since 2008. It was built in 1994. The exterior consist of lap siding that looks like the dreaded - Louisiana Pacific brand. I will need to replace several boards, most of which are closest to ground level. When I go to repaint the whole house, what sheen should I use? I live near Atlanta, Ga if the climate makes any difference.
emory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 03:56 PM   #2

If your talking about that stuff that looks like Masonite siding, good luck trying to get it off without distroying the piece above it. It's like ground up cardboard and not worth a da*.
Most houses use semi gloss around here, It's easyer to clean that way.
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to joecaption For This Useful Post:
emory (02-11-2012)
Old 02-11-2012, 03:56 PM   #3

LP siding is the worst stuff in the world to use but you have it replace what you need with the same stuff. If you want a good paint here is what i recommend.
I lived in Atlanta for a while so I know what the weather is like.
I would use Sherwin Williams A-100 with a satin on the main body and A-100 semi gloss on the trim.
The SWP guys will try and sell you duration and tell you it has a lifetime warranty were as A-100 is only fifteen years. Here is the secret, Paint has a life span of 15 years period! So save some money and go with that.

Best of luck and have fun on your project.
Nailbags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 04:00 PM   #4

If your just doing this to try and resell it use the A100, going to live then then go one step higher and use the Super paint that Sherwin sells.
Go on there web site and see the differance.
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to joecaption For This Useful Post:
Gymschu (02-11-2012), housepaintingny (02-11-2012)
Old 02-11-2012, 04:05 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
If your just doing this to try and resell it use the A100, going to live then then go one step higher and use the Super paint that Sherwin sells.
Go on there web site and see the difference.
Joe I have painted homes for a living one of my best friends is a chemist for SWP and I do know what I am talking about. Why spend money on a product that will only last 15 years no matter what and SWP will even tell you at the fifteen year mark the life time of the paint is up buy more. That is why I told him to use A-100. I live in a part of the world that we measures rain by the foot each year. and A-100 stands up to the test of time.
Old 02-11-2012, 04:27 PM   #6

I wonder why its only the bottom 2-3 boards that have to be replaced, this includes areas where the boards are just above concrete, like the drive-way and walkways. The rest is very solid. I did notice that the paint at the bottom of the boards (lip area where they overlap) that face the ground is not as thick/covered as the boards above it. Could this be because the spray gun cannot get a good angle pointing slightly upward, because it's to close to the ground and not seal the lip where they overlap? [Not sure if that made sense.] I plan on the family staying in the house and dont want to replace the boards a few years down the road. Maybe I should prime and paint that lip area before putting them up.

I have a Sherwin Williams just ten minutes from here. I will wait for the weather to warm up a bit and hopefully a 30-40% off sale like they had on their store banner last year.
emory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 05:42 PM   #7

my question is this, How much space from ground to bottom of the first course? it should be at least 5 inches above the ground. Second how much rain splatter do you get on the house when it rains? that could be the problem too. If you want to reside with something that lasts for ever use James Hardie lap siding it is easy to work with comes pre primed and lasts for ever. Because once you start to tear in the LP siding it might become a night mare and a redo the siding job. If it come to that to let you know you can do it by yourself if you use a set of siding gauges like these.
http://www.pactool.us/geckogauge/index.htm
Best of luck.
Old 02-11-2012, 05:51 PM   #8
Painting Company, NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nailbags View Post
Joe I have painted homes for a living one of my best friends is a chemist for SWP and I do know what I am talking about. Why spend money on a product that will only last 15 years no matter what and SWP will even tell you at the fifteen year mark the life time of the paint is up buy more. That is why I told him to use A-100. I live in a part of the world that we measures rain by the foot each year. and A-100 stands up to the test of time.
SW Superpaint is a step up from A100. I recommend Superpaint over A100 too, unless you are just looking for a paint job to flip a house. A100 is a good paint, but SW Superpaint is a better paint and not priced much more, but yet priced less than Duration and Resilience.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

housepaintingny is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to housepaintingny For This Useful Post:
ltd (02-11-2012)