Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-25-2011, 05:15 PM   #1

Share |

Exterior sanding and priming question

I'm getting ready to prep the boxing and facia on my home. After scraping loose paint, how do you guy's go about sanding? I've been using a palm sander and I go through quite a bit of sand paper trying to feather the paint out and get it ready for primer.
Any suggestions on how you guy's do this and what type of sand paper you are using would be appreciated.
Also, do you wash it down with a hose before you prim to get all of the dust off?
Thanks

DIY DUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 05:34 PM   #2

Hey Dude, firstly, no water! Just use some sort of a brush. An old 3" paint brush, preferably bristle, with the handle cut off makes a great duster. No water. As far as feathering old paint edges out, unless you're doing it for the looks, you don't need to. A palm sander with 80 weight paper will make you good time on the flats, and then you can use the same by hand. Split a full sheet in half, then trifold each half for your handpaper. For the areas that will be seen to clean up the edges, you can use some 50 or 60 on the sander, then follow it up with some 80. Alternatively, you could spackle (not joint compound, good exterior patching compound) the areas rather than feathering the edges. But up high and out of the way, it's not a valuable use of time, and some of that is too be expected/forgiven on old homes.

jsheridan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 07:20 PM   #3

Thanks for the advice.
Any brand of sand paper you prefer over others?
DIY DUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 08:10 PM   #4

I like 3M best. Paint stores generally sell 3M. HD sells Norton, and I don't think it holds up as well.
jsheridan is offline   Reply With Quote