Exterior Painting Questions - Painting - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-15-2011, 07:24 AM   #1
DIY Enthusiast

Rewards Points: 25

Exterior painting questions

I'm about to start repainting several exterior portions (front entry, sunroom doors/trim) of the house and have a couple questions-
1. I've read to use oil primer but have also read that oil doesn't expand/contract as well as latex in colder climates. I'm in NE Ohio. Which should I use? I prefer SW products.
2. Should I remove all of the old paint to bare wood? Some areas are chipping while others seem to be in pretty good shape. I don't want to cut any corners, but don't want to waste time either.
3. Can I use a small (Harbor Freight) soda blaster to remove paint from details and molding profiles? What other stripping techniques do you guys recommend?
4. Which SW product would be best for trim around doors and windows- Superpaint or Duration (gloss/semi-gloss)?
Thanks in advance for your advice!

Advertisement

Last edited by Ed G; 04-16-2011 at 06:15 AM.
Ed G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 05:16 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,272

Ed, there's no problem using oil-base primer. SW has the best OB primer in my opinion. It soaks into the wood at a slower pace and gives the top coat more "bite." As for finish coats, I love SW's SuperPaint. Duration is great too, but, a bit overrated. High gloss or SG is fine for doors and trim, whatever your preference is. As for scraping/stripping I feel it is overkill to strip it all off unless it's really, really bad. Scrape what you can with a carbide blade and putty knife, sand to feather out the edges and remove dust and prime. You should be good to go. I live in NE Ohio and have been painting like this for many, many years with much success.

Advertisement

Gymschu is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Gymschu For This Useful Post:
Ed G (04-16-2011)
Old 04-16-2011, 04:13 AM   #3
paper hanger and painter

Rewards Points: 2,214

He has got it again ( gymschu)
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to chrisn For This Useful Post:
Ed G (04-16-2011), Gymschu (04-16-2011)
Old 04-16-2011, 06:52 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,000

Ed, I agree with gymschu. Oil is your best primer. Oil based enamel finish doesn't flex like latex, primer is not an enamel. The longer a primer takes to dry, the deeper it penetrates into the wood. BM makes a great product, Penetrating Alkyd Primer, which I like, especially for old or weathered wood. Also, stripping non-failing paint is a lot of unnecessary work. Scrape what's failing and sand using 80 grit paper. It's very important that wood exposed for any length of time be thoroughly sanded to remove the surface of the wood that has been damaged by UV. Lack of, or inadequate, sanding will produce a bad primer bond and failure. As to scraping tools, it sounds like you might need some specialty scraping tools. I like Stortz tools. The various shapes and sizes allow for easy access and removal. They're a local company in Philly, and not available everywhere, but you can order on line. They're a quality tool. Good Luck.
jsheridan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jsheridan For This Useful Post:
Ed G (04-16-2011)
Old 04-22-2011, 07:27 PM   #5

Ted, I assume you're a grown man. I assume everyone here is a grown up. I assume that everyone here knows inherently that it's unsafe to breathe in dust, don't you know that? I assume that people will use that inherent understanding to take whatever steps they feel necessary to protect their own health. I'm here to tell people how to prepare surfaces for paint. Should I put a sanding disclaimer in all my advice, like the paint companies do on the can? Where in the OP's post did he express concern for lead, or breathing in dust for that matter? In what post did I ever mention, or suggest, that people shouldn't be concerned about dust, or not wear respirators? Did Gymschu mention about breathing dust, he did mention sanding. Or, are you just concerned that I, along with many, many others, give advice to sand without including a disclaimer about the dangers of lead and dust. Ted, I've been sucking dust, lead, silica, fumes for decades, and that's just the breathing. Over those decades, I probably had a gallon or two of paint and a ton of dust on my skin that gets absorbed. I'm still alive at fifty. If the paranoia and hysteria surrounding paint and its debris was legitimate, I, along with many others would be dead by now. Do you really believe that a homeowner, exposed to a very tiny bit, on a very infrequent basis, is in grave danger? I'll ask again, short of omission, where did I give "dangerous advice to disregard health and laws."?
Old 04-22-2011, 09:48 PM   #6
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

Just to anchor to reality.

You are not looking for an oil based product, your are looking for the alkyd film and paint layer it will leave in place when it dries and cures.

Alkyd is the great equalizer. The good stuff tends to come suspended in solvent based products.

There are a couple of waterbased primers out there claiming to leave alkyd on the surface. I do not trust them.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 02:29 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 1,066

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed G View Post
I'm about to start repainting several exterior portions (front entry, sunroom doors/trim) of the house and have a couple questions-
1. I've read to use oil primer but have also read that oil doesn't expand/contract as well as latex in colder climates. I'm in NE Ohio. Which should I use? I prefer SW products.
This what I sad in another post regarding oil based paint and primer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthewt1970 View Post
I am starting to see a lot of mis-information about oil based paints not expanding and contracting. Do you realize automotive paint is some of the most brittle paint you can use and the metal on your car expands and contracts just like anything on our house. Go push on one of your fenders and see how much it will flex. That is a lot more than the wood on your house expands and contracts. It will also survive quite a ding/dent before it's bond is broken and cracks. This constant stating that oil base paints won't expand and contract is simply not true. We have been using oil based paints on plenty of products for over 100 years. We use oil based pint on radiators for in-home heating systems and there isn't much in, around or even on your house that will expand & contract on a daily basis more than that.
Does latex expand more than oil? Sure it does. Are you going to have the wood on the side of your house expand beyond what oil can handle? Not even close.
Old 04-23-2011, 05:59 AM   #8
paper hanger and painter

Rewards Points: 2,214

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsheridan View Post
Ted, I assume you're a grown man. I assume everyone here is a grown up. I assume that everyone here knows inherently that it's unsafe to breathe in dust, don't you know that? I assume that people will use that inherent understanding to take whatever steps they feel necessary to protect their own health. I'm here to tell people how to prepare surfaces for paint. Should I put a sanding disclaimer in all my advice, like the paint companies do on the can? Where in the OP's post did he express concern for lead, or breathing in dust for that matter? In what post did I ever mention, or suggest, that people shouldn't be concerned about dust, or not wear respirators? Did Gymschu mention about breathing dust, he did mention sanding. Or, are you just concerned that I, along with many, many others, give advice to sand without including a disclaimer about the dangers of lead and dust. Ted, I've been sucking dust, lead, silica, fumes for decades, and that's just the breathing. Over those decades, I probably had a gallon or two of paint and a ton of dust on my skin that gets absorbed. I'm still alive at fifty. If the paranoia and hysteria surrounding paint and its debris was legitimate, I, along with many others would be dead by now. Do you really believe that a homeowner, exposed to a very tiny bit, on a very infrequent basis, is in grave danger? I'll ask again, short of omission, where did I give "dangerous advice to disregard health and laws."?

Wel said and written but who are you talkin too???
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 09:18 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 2,272

Ed, how's your paint project going? I haven't even been able to work outside yet due to this NE Ohio weather that is more like Seattle Washington weather. Rain the last 27 out of 34 days......ugh.
Gymschu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 12:58 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisn View Post
Wel said and written but who are you talkin too???
Apparently, you missed, and I came in on the tail end of, a dust up over my apparent disregard over people's health because I, and apparently just I, don't attach a disclaimer to every mention of sanding. I'm deceitful and trying to pull the wool over peoples eyes about RRP, so my "company", which would be just I, can, willfully and without abandon, subject my customers to the ravages of lead and dust. HEHEHEHEHE. The mods filled me in via PM and this fellow had his posts removed. I have my first stalker. I may have to hire a bodyguard. Thanks for the compliment.
Old 04-23-2011, 09:41 PM   #11
DIY Enthusiast

Rewards Points: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gymschu View Post
Ed, how's your paint project going? I haven't even been able to work outside yet due to this NE Ohio weather that is more like Seattle Washington weather. Rain the last 27 out of 34 days......ugh.
Thanks for asking, but I haven't even been able to start- this weather is absolutely terrible and the forecast isn't much better!

BTW- the house was built in '85, so lead paint is not a concern.

Advertisement

Ed G is offline   Reply With Quote