Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-01-2012, 01:04 PM   #1

Share |

Exterior Paint for Trimwork

Hello,

My contractor is spray painting our interior trim (baseboards, interior doors, crown and door/window casings) with Exterior paint. I have a feeling it is because of the durability of the exterior stuff, or has something to do with the look, but either way his subcontractors are professionals and they seem to do a great job and seem to know what they are doing. I was told that they have spray painted interior trim with exterior paint many times before.

My concern is that the exterior paints have fungicides, and this may continue to release chemicals in the air for years. It is a low VOC paint, but because it is an exterior paint I am worried that applying it indoors to the trim will possibly be harmful long term (either because of the fungicides/mildewcides or other stuff they put in exterior paint).

Am I being too paranoid by thinking that the exterior paint is dangerous indoors even for just the trim, or do I have a reason to complain and ask for Interior trim paint? (The trim has already been sprayed, in which case I do not even know if anything can be done.) If I do have a case, or if they should have mentioned this before spraying, what can they do to remove the stuff, remove and throw out all the trim?

I would love to hear from people that have either used exterior paint for trim many times and continue to do it, or others that are totally against it and why.

Thanks!

Last edited by cityslicker; 08-04-2012 at 09:25 AM.
cityslicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 02:19 PM   #2
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Ever take your clothes to the dry cleaner? Bring them home all clean and shiny under plastic wrap? The VOCs hiding in just one trip from the dry cleaner released in your home when you take that plastic cover off are probably greater than all the paint combined in your home will cause in its lifetime! I hope you are not going near young children or old adults with fresh clean clothes on are you?

Do you have any furniture or drapes, hopefully treated with fire retardants? Do you know you breath the VOC's from the fabric dyes and those worthless additives on a daily basis more than you do from your kitchen paint trim once dry?

And those nice smelling orange kitchen cleaners and especially the bathroom scrubbing bubble stuff!

Do you fard? Have you ever seen one of the major network exposes on the stuff left by the six women in front of you? Like organisms from human feces left in sample containers in makeup or lipstick samplers left on sample counters even in highend stores? Do you know how many chemicals are added to kill such things? And VOCs per content amount in liquid make up foundations are higher than most any paint.

Relax, I am the quintessential tree hugger and think it great we are cutting back on VOCs. We can use paints with less harmful solvents. We wouldn't or didn't until we were told we had too. But in perspective, the paint finishes are such low risk compared to everything else you subject yourself to on a regular basis you all getting nervous about it make be giggle.

Open a window once in awhile in your interior VOC count has to go down. I have been thinking of selling a VOC detector by the way. $99.94 not $99.95. I love things with blinking lights that mean nothing but mine would sniff fresh air for about $.40 in parts.

That said, I worked on classic antique homes and am not sure why your contractor is spraying with the product he is. It will not hurt you though.

Last edited by user1007; 08-01-2012 at 02:31 PM.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to user1007 For This Useful Post:
Evstarr (08-02-2012)
Old 08-01-2012, 04:21 PM   #3

Thank you for your reply!

I am not concerned with the VOC's, even though it may be hard to believe. The VOC level is low, its water based paint, etc. No issues there. We will not be living in the house for at least a month after the trim is painted.

The issue is with the fungicide and other chemicals that off-gas (if that's the correct word) over the years with these exterior paints. VOC's off gas in much shorted time frames (within days to a month).

Could it be that the fungicide level in these paints is too high that it is not within approved indoor levels, thus making the paint an exterior paint, and not interior or interior/exterior?

Thanks again for your reply, but from your last line it makes me think that this has never been done before... is it that much of a surprise to you that he is doing only the trim with exterior paint?

Last edited by cityslicker; 08-01-2012 at 09:20 PM.
Old 08-01-2012, 05:13 PM   #4
paper hanger and painter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cityslicker View Post
Thank you for your reply!

I am not concerned with the VOC's, even though it may be hard to believe. The VOC level is low, its water based paint, etc. No issues there. We will not be living in the house for at least a month after the trim is painted.

The issue is with the fungicide and other chemicals that off-gas (if that's the correct word) over the years with these exterior paints. VOC's off gas in much shorted time frames (within days to a month).

Could it be that the fungicide level in these paints is too high that it is not within approved indoor levels, thus making the paint an exterior paint, and not interior or interior/exterior?

Anyway, the paint being used for all trim is the Dulux Weatherguard exterior paint.

Thanks again for your reply, but from your last line it makes me think that this has never been done before... is it that much of a surprise to you that he is doing only the trim with exterior paint?

I would be worried about that also. Ask the contractor WHY??There is a reason they call it exterior paint and no reason( that I know of) for applying it inside
chrisn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 05:58 PM   #5

It may be analogous to pressure treated wood. My understanding is that most pressure treated wood with all that chemical (which is prob some form of fungicide to prevent mold etc) is supposed to be for outside use. Maybe a bad analogy, but kinda makes sense to me.

As for asking the contractor. I can almost guarantee that he will give me some song and dance as to why it's being done (or it could very well be a good legit reason). Why would he take the blame on this and have to redo trim and paint, which was a huge job after all.
Old 08-01-2012, 07:06 PM   #6
Painting Company, NY

I have never heard of anyone doing this, especially a professional painting company.
Interior and exterior paints are formulated different and each is designed for its particular function. Interior paints generally dry harder and are more scrubable and washable than exterior paints. Exterior paints are formulated to withstand the elements, allowing for more contraction and expansion, generally not as scrubable as interior paint, contain fungicides and different midicides. Some quality interior paints are mildew resistant too.
Your contract with the painter should specify the paint that he would be using.
I personally would only use interior paint on an interior. There are numerous interior paints that are quality for trim.
housepaintingny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 09:05 PM   #7
Paint Pro

there was a lawsuit because of this not too long ago. science has proven that prolonged exposure to certain mildewcides in exterior paint will cause cancer
Expert Paint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 09:16 PM   #8

Spoke with contractor, his painter recommended the exterior one as they have used this many times before and it works well, more durable etc. He went with the painters recommendation.

If I want this remedied, how can this be do done?

Last edited by cityslicker; 08-04-2012 at 09:27 AM.
Old 08-02-2012, 04:30 AM   #9
paper hanger and painter

Quote:
Spoke with contractor, and he said that he was told to use interior paint for trim by the designer, but his painter recommended the exterior one as they have used this many times before and it works well, more durable etc. He went with the painters recommendation. He is a freekin idiot, good luck see post 6 from housepaintguy, he has it nailed down

If I want this remedied, how can this be do done?
It's the contractors problem and he is at fault for hiring a bunch of morons.( although he is probably a moron also)IMO all this exterior paint needs to be removed and painted properly. A good lawyer will most likely be the next step, unless the contractor is actually a responsible type.

What did you're contract say?
Old 08-02-2012, 06:02 AM   #10

Does that mean that all the trim has to be removed and replaced, or just the paint removed somehow?
Old 08-02-2012, 12:47 PM   #11

Quote:
Hello,

My contractor is spray painting our interior trim (baseboards, interior doors, crown and door/window casings) with Exterior Dulux paint. I have a feeling it is because of the durability of the exterior stuff, or has something to do with the look, but either way his subcontractors are professionals and they seem to do a great job and seem to know what they are doing. I was told that they have spray painted interior trim with exterior paint many times before.

My concern is that the exterior paints have fungicides, and this may continue to release chemicals in the air for years. It is a low VOC paint, but because it is an exterior paint I am worried that applying it indoors to the trim will possibly be harmful long term (either because of the fungicides/mildewcides or other stuff they put in exterior paint). The total square footage of the house is 2400, so there is a substantial amount of trim. The walls will be painted with Interior paint.

Am I being too paranoid by thinking that the exterior paint is dangerous indoors even for just the trim, or do I have a reason to complain and ask for Interior trim paint? (The trim has already been sprayed, in which case I do not even know if anything can be done.) If I do have a case, or if they should have mentioned this before spraying, what can they do to remove the stuff, remove and throw out all the trim?

I would love to hear from people that have either used exterior paint for trim many times and continue to do it, or others that are totally against it and why.

Thanks!
I think as long as the exterior DuLux Paint is not one of their "lifetime" paints (which usually has an elastomeric-type resin), and is a higher quality acrylic product, you'll be fine. I agree with most others here as to why they would choose to use an exterior - doesn't make a whole lotta sense, an interior product would've been the better choice AND most likely, would've been cheaper...but that's not to say the exterior paint won't perform as you expect it to. With acrylic technologies, there's not a tremendous amount of differences between the 2 designations (as long as we're talking higher quality products).

But your real question had to do with exposure. You are being paranoid, but it's not all your fault. "Off-gassing" is the newest paint related buzz-term suggesting to consumers that exposure to paint, in any form, is harmful. Yes, mildewcides are a poison, and very heavily regulated. But, as long as the product is not being misused (and by misused, I mean drinking or main-lining the paint), you're pretty safe. For such a heavily regulated product, there are many mildewcide paint additives you can buy, in every state, across the counter, to add to both interior or exterior products to kill mildew or thwart colonization - all packaged with proper warnings against misuse (from both a health and legal perspective) - and all can be used without fear of any adverse health effects.
ric knows paint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 04:45 PM   #12
paper hanger and painter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ric knows paint View Post
I think as long as the exterior DuLux Paint is not one of their "lifetime" paints (which usually has an elastomeric-type resin), and is a higher quality acrylic product, you'll be fine. I agree with most others here as to why they would choose to use an exterior - doesn't make a whole lotta sense, an interior product would've been the better choice AND most likely, would've been cheaper...but that's not to say the exterior paint won't perform as you expect it to. With acrylic technologies, there's not a tremendous amount of differences between the 2 designations (as long as we're talking higher quality products).

But your real question had to do with exposure. You are being paranoid, but it's not all your fault. "Off-gassing" is the newest paint related buzz-term suggesting to consumers that exposure to paint, in any form, is harmful. Yes, mildewcides are a poison, and very heavily regulated. But, as long as the product is not being misused (and by misused, I mean drinking or main-lining the paint), you're pretty safe. For such a heavily regulated product, there are many mildewcide paint additives you can buy, in every state, across the counter, to add to both interior or exterior products to kill mildew or thwart colonization - all packaged with proper warnings against misuse (from both a health and legal perspective) - and all can be used without fear of any adverse health effects.

good to know, which I did not
Old 08-02-2012, 04:48 PM   #13
paper hanger and painter

Quote:
Does that mean that all the trim has to be removed and replaced, or just the paint removed somehow?

Apparently there is no need for concern, except for the expense of applying an exterior paint inside, this still baffles me and I would love to know the reasoning for it
Old 08-03-2012, 12:21 PM   #14

To answer your question about what contract I have; its a CCDC (Canadian Construction Contract), so I am certain that everything will be fixed properly. As to the reason why; who knows, but I am told its because of the durability and look for that specific paint, which has been used for trim many times before by his painter. I understand now that this is actually the opposite when it comes to durability.

Either way, contractor acknowledges that this is an error and client has to be happy and comfortable with the final resolution.

As for those that say "just leave it, your paranoid etc". It's not the VOC or the off-gas. It's the fungicide in it that is a form of poison/pesticide and can be chipped off and possibly eaten by small kids as they roam the house, for example. It has nothing to do with the gas. As well, I was told that it's the "level" of fungicide that makes it an Exterior paint, or else it would be able to be named an Interior paint. I am not sure what level of concentration those mildewcide packs are or anything like that, but if they can be used in the house, then they must be within the legal limits. I do not think we are comparing apples to apples by using that analogy. Just because you can add a type of Mildewcide into paint does not mean that you can use Exterior pain indoors unless you know exactly the concentrations and the specific chemical in there.

Bottom line is this. There are rules and regulations for a reason. All I ask for is that we keep stuff out of the home that shouldn't be there in concentrations that are not within Health Canada limits.

If Health Canada has approved a Mildewcide packet mix to be used inside a home in paint, then am I OK to use an Exterior paint inside my home that they have NOT approved for indoors??? I don't think so.

Thanks for everyone's opinions. I will update again once I have more info or once we decide on what exactly will be done.

Last edited by cityslicker; 08-03-2012 at 05:53 PM.
Old 08-03-2012, 03:34 PM   #15

Quote:
To answer your question about what contract I have; its a CCDC (Canadian Construction Contract), so I am certain that everything will be fixed properly. As to the reason why; who knows, but I am told its because of the durability and look for that specific paint, which has been used for trim many times before by his painter. I understand now that this is actually the opposite when it comes to durability.

Either way, contractor acknowledges that this is an error and client has to be happy and comfortable with the final resolution.

As for those that say "just leave it, your paranoid etc". It's not the VOC or the off-gas. It's the fungicide in it that is a form of poison/pesticide and can be chipped off and possibly eaten by small kids as they roam the house, for example. It has nothing to do with the gas. As well, I was told from Dulux that it's the "level" of fungicide that makes it an Exterior paint, or else it would be able to be named an Interior paint. I am not sure what level of concentration those mildewcide packs are or anything like that, but if they can be used in the house, then they must be within the legal limits. I do not think we are comparing apples to apples by using that analogy. Just because you can add a type of Mildewcide into paint does not mean that you can use Exterior pain indoors unless you know exactly the concentrations and the specific chemical in there.

Bottom line is this. There are rules and regulations for a reason. All I ask for is that we keep stuff out of the home that shouldn't be there in concentrations that are not within Health Canada limits.

If Health Canada has approved a Mildewcide packet mix to be used inside a home in paint, then am I OK to use an Exterior paint inside my home that they have NOT approved for indoors??? I don't think so.

Thanks for everyone's opinions. I will update again once I have more info or once we decide on what exactly will be done.
Personally, I'm glad you got everything resolved to your satisfaction, but, just so we're all on the same page here, you're the one who brought up "off-gassing"...and you're the one who mentioned something 'bout being paranoid. But as long as the Dulux guy set the record straight by saying "it's the "level" of fungicide that makes it an Exterior paint" ...OK...

I can't speak for others, but I kinda think we all knew what your concerns were from the start. You asked the opinions from those in this group, and you got several. Most of the responders here are pretty responsible and knowledgeable, and none would recommend a system that'd be harmful (to kids, especially). But think about this, kids will be kids - and those kids with the propensity to pick up paint chips and eat 'em would probably be the same kids to pick up and eat the paint chips that fall outside as well. And since it's more likely that paint is gonna peel outside than inside, you really think the paint manufacturer (or fungicide mfr) will be excused from any liability just because that kid ate a paint chip from paint that's peeled outside?

(sigh)...I've said enough.

ric knows paint is offline   Reply With Quote