Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-06-2014, 12:44 AM   #1

Share |

Exterior Paint Removal - Lead

Our house is in need of a new paint job. Unfortunately, lead is an issue.....
House is 65+ y.o. and I don't remember ever hearing about it being painted...at least I know it hasn't been done in the last 30 yrs. Anyway,
looking to do this myself.

What is the best method... lots of peeling paint involved.

Thanks for your input.

mmatx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 01:17 AM   #2
Retired from the grind

You would need to get a test kit. They are available at your local Public Health department, Lowe's, Home Depot, Sherwin Williams stores, should also carry them.

Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gregzoll For This Useful Post:
mmatx (04-06-2014)
Old 04-06-2014, 03:25 AM   #3
paper hanger and painter

http://www2.epa.gov/lead
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 09:42 AM   #4

It should only cost about $30,000 to remove all the lead from the exterior. Good luck.
Gymschu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 11:27 AM   #5

You should be able to find some general guidelines for safety in the link Chrisn provided.

I personally don't recommend anyone take this type of thing on as a DIY project. An RRP certified contractor will be better prepared to do the job safely. But if you do, the best option is probably to use a lead neutralizing stripper such as;

http://www.leadoutpaintstripper.com/

One of the biggest hazards with this type of work comes from airborne lead dust. It's extremely fine (microscopic) and will stay airborne for a long time once disturbed.

Other than the stripper, as far any scraping or manual removal of peeling lead, this is most safely done wet. Wetting the surface your working on reduces the chance of airborne dust being created. Also having a fine mist of water introduced into the air around the work area helps. The water droplets capture airborne dust and drop it to the ground.

A common method is to have a helper standing next to the person scraping (everyone wearing appropriate protective gear) misting the air with water while the scraping is going on. A squirt bottle in 'spray' setting could work, or a water hose with a nozzle set to 'mist'
Jmayspaint is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jmayspaint For This Useful Post:
fixrupr (04-12-2014), Gymschu (04-06-2014)
Old 04-12-2014, 04:36 AM   #6

Painting is the first problem because paint is composed of sealants and that's why its very hard to remove the paint If it is a solid hide stain then that is like paint so you will be able to cover the color and many spot is disappeared when you do paint on the wall...
darren222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 08:32 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by darren222 View Post
Painting is the first problem because paint is composed of sealants and that's why its very hard to remove the paint If it is a solid hide stain then that is like paint so you will be able to cover the color and many spot is disappeared when you do paint on the wall...
Huh?
Gymschu is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Gymschu For This Useful Post:
chrisn (04-13-2014)
Old 04-12-2014, 08:53 AM   #8

I'd be really careful about trying this on your own. For the sake of your safety and peace of mind it might be more worth it to hire a contractor, if only to professionally do the stripping. If you do end up doing this on your own I'd listen to Jmayspaint. Get a specialty scrapper and keep the surface and surrounding area wet.
fixrupr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 06:31 PM   #9

How do people feel about DIY Paintshaver Pro and HEPA vac? That's what I plan on doing next summer, as well as a steamer or perhaps infrared stripper to tackle the exterior moldings.
PaintChips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 08:49 AM   #10

There is a lot of liability with lead removal. That is why painters need to be certified, and even lead removal/encapsulating contractors carry huge liability insurance policies.
Will22 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Will22 For This Useful Post:
Gymschu (04-23-2014)
Old 04-22-2014, 04:14 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will22 View Post
There is a lot of liability with lead removal. That is why painters need to be certified, and even lead removal/encapsulating contractors carry huge liability insurance policies.
While this is true for contractors it is not so for homeowners.
ToolSeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 09:03 AM   #12

So I'm a DIY type of guy, clearly since I'm on the forum - but also I don't know if there is anyone in the area who would be able to do the job to the level of completeness that I want it to be done. I have every intention of stripping off every ounce of old paint on this house and it's a big house

I plan on following as many of the RRP guidelines as it takes to be safe for myself and my family.

I haven't tried to get any quotes yet, but I can't imagine that what I want would be anything less than $15k - if not more than that.
Old 04-23-2014, 04:33 PM   #13

If this is the route you want to take then I would use strippers. (not the dancing kind)
ToolSeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 07:41 PM   #14
Home Remodeler

Try an infrared paint remover. I built one myself and it works great. Lot of time involved but it does a great job. Google it.
mikey48 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mikey48 For This Useful Post:
Gymschu (04-23-2014)
Old 04-24-2014, 01:04 PM   #15

I think that using chemical paint stripper would not only be more expensive ultimately than using a paint shaver or infrared remover, but also take way more time. The house is 2.5 story victorian that has about 3k sq/ft. I'm not sure what the external siding square footage is.

Mikey I have looked into them - and the only reason I would prefer to use a paint shaver over the infrared on the clapboard is because the shaver can take off the very top layer of wood too. Something I think needs to be done to promote adhesion of the new paint. This clapboard is 110 years old

I'll either be using the infrared stripper or a steamer on parts of the house that the shaver won't get to.

Tags
lead, removal