Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-08-2008, 04:13 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Exterior paint questions Sears Ultra WB and how many gallons?

Buying my first house. But it needs an exterior paint job and I'll be pretty strapped financially for the next year or two but would like to get a coat of paint on the wood siding since it is bare in some spots. The paint itself is not really peeling, its just worn, faded, and just makes the house look run down.

Honestly, I really just want the paint to last 5 years or so because I'll go ahead and get new siding at that point. I know, I know, prep work is 90% of the battle but...

I saw an ad today in the Sears catalog for weatherbeater ultra - says no prep work, no primer, lifetime warranty, at 28 bucks a gallon. I've been nothing but happy with all my Sears products down to my landscaping equipment to my tools. And given I only want this paint job to last 5 years or so anyway good deal?

So I guess two questions:

1. Anybody used/heard about this paint?

2. Approximately how many gallons to paint a 1 story ranch-style house that is approximately 26 feet by 48 feet rectangular shape (1300 sq foot)?

Thanks

snosurfa7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 04:43 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 500

I will not comment on big box paint.But what I use depending on how old a paint job is that I am working on square footage is usually 250 to 300 a gallon. Myself,I would sand all bare area edges.(The jury is out on power washing before or after)Then prime with a oil base primer/brush for the bare areas. Wait till it cured,depending on oil used.Then I would paint(brush/spray) top coat to finish. Hope this helps you..........................

mark942 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 07:24 PM   #3

Thanks!

So one or two coats of paint after the primer? Read some differences in opinion.

Remember, I plan on redoing the exterior anyway in 5-10 years after all my student loans are paid off. In the meantime just want to make it look nice at an affordable price.
Old 05-09-2008, 05:16 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by snosurfa7 View Post
Thanks!

So one or two coats of paint after the primer? Read some differences in opinion.
The number of coats depends on a variety of things.To sum it up in a nut shell. If you apply one coat(after doing the above mentioned) and it looks good to you then it is one coat. If it doesn't look good,then two coats will be needed..................

mark942 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 06:55 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 502

It is very difficult for a DIY to get complete coverage w/ one coat. In addition, one coat just doesn't last as long as two, especially with BigBoxCo paint you are using.

I know that you plan on re-doing the siding in a few years, but plans change...

I would go with two.

SirWired
sirwired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 09:38 PM   #6
Pro Painter

Rewards Points: 250

For your 5 yr. purposes, just prime it and paint it white, one coat.
joewho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 10:42 PM   #7

Thanks for all the advice. I have done some painting before but on my car and never on a house, and I agree, two coats does look nicer than one.

So I guess I'll just put the extra effort and do it up right. It paid off when I did my car. Two coats. Now what about these primer plus paint all in one? I guess a real primer plus 2 coats is the way to go...

5 years is min on the siding though more likely within 10. I just want to get something on it so the siding doesn't rot away. It is already chipping off a little at the bottoms in places dont want it to get worse. I really like the color on there now will match that - all white would just look funny on the style of house...