Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-16-2009, 10:42 AM   #1

Share |

exterior paint primer

This question is for very experienced people please. I am repainting an old screen porch. My first question is what is the best primer to use. Are high quality latex primers just as good as oil? I'd rather not bother with the mess of oil if I don't have to. Can you recommed a high quality primer. What is the best bang for the buck latex paint to use? Do products like Peel Stop or Peel Bond really prevent any further flaking of paint that I may have missed? I'm in Richmond,VA.

Thank you

Last edited by malabe; 08-16-2009 at 10:46 AM.
malabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 07:18 PM   #2
paper hanger and painter

exterior paint primer

Are you painting bare wood?
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 01:53 PM   #3
NAV

exterior paint primer

Peel Bond is a high build primer used to help hide the transition from the paint you scraped off to the paint that is still adhered. it also spans the cracks in paint that is still intact but alligator cracked. it will not prevent future failure of old paint material.

I would recommend scraping, sand if you want a smooth surface, prime with A-100 acrylic primer and finish coat with any Sherwin-Williams exterior acrylics - A-100, SuperPaint or Duration.

Exterior Oil Based Primers are good and all but they take 24 hours to dry and preform the same as acrylics. They block stains better but I dont see that being a problem on old wood unless you have water stains. I'm sure you already know but NEVER use an interior primer on exterior applications.

Clean, Dull & Dry - that is what you want the substrate to be.
NAV is offline   Reply With Quote