Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-29-2012, 05:39 PM   #1

Share |
Question

Exterior paint to prevent mold/mildew to grow back

Hi there, how are you doing?

We live in a neighborhood in San Francisco where fog and moisture is a constant problem. Because of this, our wooden fence and concrete pole/base has grown a lot of mildew (or mold??)... Although we continue to use those anti-mildew spray to clean it, but it just keep growing back... See this picture:

Is there another better way to keep these areas free of mildew/mold?? Can I throughly clean these areas, then paint it with some type of special paint that would prevent mildew to grow back? If so, what type of paint?

I have heard about PermaWhite, but never used their "exterior" paint so not sure if that would work well (especially for the concrete surface, not wood).. thoughts or comments?

ohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 06:16 PM   #2

You must live in the Sunset neighborhood. Before you paint you will need to kill the mildew and scrub off dirt and residue. Be sure when you spray on your solution, you put in on heavily and let it sit and do the work before you wash it off.

Look for Zinsser Perma-White at your local paint store. This product touts a five-year guarantee against mildew growing oon it.

Good Luck with your project!

Mr. Paint is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mr. Paint For This Useful Post:
ohman (10-30-2012)
Old 10-30-2012, 05:37 PM   #3

Thanks Mr. Paint!

BTW, I purchased a gallon of Perma-White (for interior), and later found out that I got the wrong type of paint. Now, I also have a smaller project which I have a stand-up shower room that need to be repainted for the ceiling. I already used Bulls-Eyes 1-2-3 (oil-based) to prime the area and it looks fine now (wondering if I could just save one step and skip with the Perma-White top coat)....

Questions:
1. It seems that Perma-White has three different paints: interior, bathroom, and exterior. What's the difference between the "interior" paint and the "bathroom" Perma-White??

2. Can I just skip the step to put up Perma-White top coat and just leave the stand-up shower painted with oil-based primer only (bulls-eye 1-2-3)... right now it looks fine, and the primer is oil-based and we added bathroom ceiling fan so ventilation is much better than before...I did NOT added any mildewcide in the primer though...)

3. I don't want to keep buying all kind of different paints for small projects. As I haven't opened the "interior" Perma-White paint yet, I guess I can exchange it for the "exterior" Perma-White paint and use it to paint for the larger exterior paint project. I'm wondering though if that would be OK if I use the "exterior" Perma-White paint to paint for the small ceiling in my stand-up shower room?? Would that be OK?? Thoughts or comments? Thanks!!
Old 10-31-2012, 10:31 AM   #4

Ohman,
the Zinsser Bull's Eye 1-2-3 that is on the market is a 1005 acrylic primer. however whether you have oil-based or water-based is not the issue. The issue is: can a primer alone withstand the wet, hot environment of a small shower. the answer is, no. primers provide sealing and adhesion as an anchor coat; they do not have the moisture-resistance of finish coat.

I have a small shower that one doesn't have room enough to change his mind. I primed it and top-coated with Perma-White Bathroom Paint years ago after trying multiple systems in it. This wes years ago and the Perma-White is still holding up.

I'm not sure of the difference of "Bathrrom Paint" from their regular interior line; perhaps some investigating on their website may yield some guidance. I do know that for your exterior, you will need the exterior version of their product. A dealer will be able to trade any un-opened container for something else.

Good luck with all this...
The Following User Says Thank You to Mr. Paint For This Useful Post:
ohman (10-31-2012)
Old 10-31-2012, 04:00 PM   #5

Thanks again Mr. Paint! Also by the way, does Sherwin Williams has any similar products like Zinsser Perma-White?? Thanks!
Old 10-31-2012, 04:08 PM   #6

Ohman,
I'm not sure if S-W has something; perhaps a painter may offer some direction here. BTW: I forgot to mention that my shower is tiled; I only paint the ceiling.
Old 11-01-2012, 04:31 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Paint View Post
Ohman,
I'm not sure if S-W has something; perhaps a painter may offer some direction here. BTW: I forgot to mention that my shower is tiled; I only paint the ceiling.
Yes my shower is tiled too and I only need to paint the ceiling. It seems that Perma-White no longer has a specific "bathroom" paint now, on their web site they only mention about "interior" and "exterior" paint.. no more "bathroom" Perma-White... any idea whether the "interior" one would be as good as the "bathroom" one? Thanks!
Old 11-02-2012, 10:20 AM   #8

Go for the interior. That product is excellent; I have sold it to large apartment communities on the Peninsula with great results. The last thing a property manager needs is lawsuits from mildew complaints by their tenants.
Old 11-05-2012, 12:30 PM   #9

you should cover the floor are with marble and wall area with weather sheet paint, then you safe your floor and wall side. My grand pa use weather sheet paint for out side walls therefor his house looking new even after many years.
Gaven32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 04:31 PM   #10
paper hanger and painter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaven32 View Post
you should cover the floor are with marble and wall area with weather sheet paint, then you safe your floor and wall side. My grand pa use weather sheet paint for out side walls therefor his house looking new even after many years.

what is that?

chrisn is online now   Reply With Quote