Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-27-2010, 10:02 PM   #1

Send a message via ICQ to farmerjack
Share |

exterior paint prep

How much is enough?
I'm preping a 60s house with cove lap siding. In scraping, I am finding that, when scraping a damaged area, on some boards, I can peel off the old latex paint well past any visable damage. It comes off like a sheet of paper with a putty knife all the way down to bear wood.
My question is, if it comes off that easily, should it be removed till I reach a point where it is still holding on, or am I wasting my time removing paint that could be painted over satisfactorily?

farmerjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 05:01 AM   #2

exterior paint prep

Keep up with the prep. Prep is 87% of painting.

mark942 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 11:39 AM   #3

exterior paint prep

Scrape, sand and strip until you feel your arms are going to fall off. Now keep on scraping, sanding, stripping until you get to a good/solid substrate.

Then use the best long oil primer money can buy. Ask the paint store to tint the primer to half the color formula of the topcoat to give you a head start on coverage. (or as much tinting as the primer's manufacturer recommends)

Good prep. will maximize the time when you have to repeat this miserable process.
hennyh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 04:42 AM   #4
paper hanger and painter

exterior paint prep

It sounds like maybe moisture is a problem also. Besides all the previous good advise,I might look into this site. I have used these with good results( my own home included)

http://www.wedgevent.com/
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 08:18 AM   #5

exterior paint prep

I would start with pressure washing. Pressure washing is the best method for removing old caulk and flaking paint. A clean surface is a crucial step that needs to be done at the beginning.
The next step is scraping and sanding. The scraping and sanding should be done at the same time as each step can find loose paint that the power washer missed. I either use a palm sander which makes life much easier but for those hard places you have to do it by hand.
Now if you have rough wood, like rough sawn cedar, your only choice is to roll up your sleeves and use a wire brush. Wire paint stripper attachments for power drills can also be used which you can find at your local paint supply or home center.
Now before you decide on being all gung-ho you have to remember this is the most labor intensive part of exterior painting, but the most important. All of the loose paint must be found and then removed; this forms the foundation for the entire paint job and if you do it right it will last you a long time and if you can get yourself a scaffold instead of a ladder that would make life so much easier.
Oh I almost forgot there are also environmental concerns with any scraping and sanding of the existing finish on your home. If your home was built before 1978 the exterior finish might contain lead based paint. Lead paint safety is a major concern when painting. Many painted or finished surfaces can contain lead and protecting yourself and your family needs to be a first priority. You need to know what to do and not to do. You can buy a lead test kit which is very easy to use to test for lead. If you do find lead then you would have to contact the proper authorities on your situation.
Now that you have done all of the above the other things you need to do are caulking, masking and priming. I canít stress enough that top quality products are required in the beginning in order for the final look to be its best. After all preparation is finished; choose the best exterior paint and exterior painting techniques for your project.

epson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 05:30 PM   #6

exterior paint prep

As usual, Chrisn hit it right, (actually, how the heck do I know) Sure sounds like a moisture issue, with it, your new paint will peel off as well. One house I've seen had problems with the basement, too damp down there.
Old 07-29-2010, 06:37 PM   #7

exterior paint prep

If you do pressure wash then wait a while until you paint
Presure washing will force water into cracks & everywhere else
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 02:31 AM   #8
paper hanger and painter

exterior paint prep

Also,NEVER chalk the under neath of the lap siding!
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 05:45 AM   #9

exterior paint prep

Quote:
Originally Posted by farmerjack View Post
How much is enough?
should it be removed till I reach a point where it is still holding on, or am I wasting my time removing paint that could be painted over satisfactorily?
That's the idea. If it is stuck to the house, leave it.

Matthewt1970 is offline   Reply With Quote