Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-07-2009, 07:55 PM   #1
CDH

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Exterior Paint Which One?

I know most of you guys are a lot more knowledgable about this than me so here goes. I am getting ready to paint the exterior of my house, hardi-plank trimmed in cedar, I have been looking at pittsburgh,coronado and richard's paint, have absolutely ruled out behr and valspar, the paints that I am looking at are 30 dollar a gallon paints and were recommended from the salesman at each paint store, now for my question is the duration paint from SW really a lifetime paint? if so I would gladly give the extra 20 dollars a gallon to not have to paint again, but I am not sure I believe this, all the others at the aforementioned paint stores told me I could realistically expect 10 to 12 years with their product before re-painting. I live in Fla, not on the coast, but it is still extremely hot and humid. Thank you in advance for taking the time to answer my questions.

CDH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 03:59 AM   #2
paper hanger and painter

Rewards Points: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDH View Post
I know most of you guys are a lot more knowledgable about this than me so here goes. I am getting ready to paint the exterior of my house, hardi-plank trimmed in cedar, I have been looking at pittsburgh,coronado and richard's paint, have absolutely ruled out behr and valspar, the paints that I am looking at are 30 dollar a gallon paints and were recommended from the salesman at each paint store, now for my question is the duration paint from SW really a lifetime paint? if so I would gladly give the extra 20 dollars a gallon to not have to paint again, but I am not sure I believe this, all the others at the aforementioned paint stores told me I could realistically expect 10 to 12 years with their product before re-painting. I live in Fla, not on the coast, but it is still extremely hot and humid. Thank you in advance for taking the time to answer my questions.
Has anyone ever lived long enough to test this warranty?
With proper prep and application 10 to 15 years would be the upmost for just about any top of the line paints available today.

chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 06:01 AM   #3
Doer of Many Things

Personally, in your case I'd be tempted to go with the Richards. We sell several Richards products and they've always been pretty good for the price. The advantage here is that Richards is a Florida based company and the products they make are designed for the local climate first and foremost.
poppameth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 12:45 PM   #4

I live on the coast in Texas where it very humid and hot.I am planninng on having my exterior sliding painted.I am confused which type of paint to use. I was told by 5 painters that SW super paint would be what they would use. I have been looking at valspar Duramax paint and also Behr selfpriming paint.Which paint would you use if you we're me
Fmartorell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 04:12 PM   #5
Git

Quote:
is the duration paint from SW really a lifetime paint?
Well I hate to say it - but whose lifetime, the life of the company or the life of the purchaser?
Git is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 05:14 PM   #6
CDH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Git View Post
Well I hate to say it - but whose lifetime, the life of the company or the life of the purchaser?
Well I really did'nt think that SW was going anywhere so I meant my lifetime, I not planning on moving and I really did'nt buy into the lifetime paint thing , I was just thinking if it even lasted twice as long as other brands that it might even be worth looking into, but like one other poster stated about the best you can expect is 10 to 15 years. Does any of you know how the warranty works if I still owned my house say 15 years from now and the paint was shot would SW give me all new paint or is there something in the SMALL print in the warranty, or are they just banking on the fact that most people will have sold their house by then , or that most people won't actually follow up on a claim after that amount of time, I am sure some of you that paint for a living have some answers, thanks in advance for taking your time to answer my questions.
Old 08-09-2009, 04:06 AM   #7
paper hanger and painter

Quote:
Well I really did'nt think that SW was going anywhere so I meant my lifetime, I not planning on moving and I really did'nt buy into the lifetime paint thing , I was just thinking if it even lasted twice as long as other brands that it might even be worth looking into, but like one other poster stated about the best you can expect is 10 to 15 years. Does any of you know how the warranty works if I still owned my house say 15 years from now and the paint was shot would SW give me all new paint or is there something in the SMALL print in the warranty, or are they just banking on the fact that most people will have sold their house by then , or that most people won't actually follow up on a claim after that amount of time, I am sure some of you that paint for a living have some answers, thanks in advance for taking your time to answer my questions.

probable all of the above and the fact that you will have to prove that you followed exactly all the prep and application procedures.
Old 08-09-2009, 04:09 AM   #8
paper hanger and painter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fmartorell View Post
I live on the coast in Texas where it very humid and hot.I am planninng on having my exterior sliding painted.I am confused which type of paint to use. I was told by 5 painters that SW super paint would be what they would use. I have been looking at valspar Duramax paint and also Behr selfpriming paint

.Which paint would you use if you we're me
Listen to the painters
Old 08-09-2009, 09:14 PM   #9
CDH

Thank's Chrisn and Poppameth, I think I will go with either the Richard's or the Coronado, both of which are Fla companies, I appreciate your response's to my questions.
Old 08-11-2009, 08:26 PM   #10
Tom3982s

I would consider going with Richard's. I would think you can only expect so long out of the paint. My BEHR had been great on my hardie plank.
Tom3982s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 09:38 PM   #11

Hello, I've been a professional painter for 15 years and I thought I'd give you my recommendation. I live in the Cleveland, Ohio area so I'm not terribly familiar with the 3 brands you've mentioned but I paint a TON of Hardie Plank including a house for ABC's Extreme Makeover Home Edition (Novak Family 2005). So I'll tell you what my system is and you can take it from there. First, I use ICI Dulux Paints (Glidden) which I believe are available in FLA. First, I highly recommend priming the hardie and cedar prior to painting. The primer I use is called Gripper and its excellent! It is a universal primer sealer stain-killer and will be key to the longevity of your paint job. It will also prevent tannin bleed from your cedar. I cannot stress enough how important the priming is and I do not know of a better primer than the Gripper for this application. Next, I use ICI's Fortis exterior paint as the topcoat. This is their premium acrylic exterior paint. It is high-solids high-build which means you can put it on thicker with fewer sags AND it dries thicker giving you more protection. I warranty my Hardie jobs for 20 years. I use this same system when refinishing aluminum siding and I give it a lifetime warranty. The difference is that even though hardie will not rot when exposed to water, it does absorb water to an extent which can cause problems for paint. Which also reminds me to tell you to be sure to use a high quality paintable caulk and seal all appropriate joints well. Finally, I have used SW's Duration exterior paint on other projects and had problems. And the SW rep proceeded to basically tell me that their "Lifetime" warranty didn't apply to this wood house historic renovation, even though it only had been painted a month before problems arose. So, I hope this information helps you and I wish you well on your project. Good luck!
Spray Away is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 12:58 PM   #12
CDH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spray Away View Post
Hello, I've been a professional painter for 15 years and I thought I'd give you my recommendation. I live in the Cleveland, Ohio area so I'm not terribly familiar with the 3 brands you've mentioned but I paint a TON of Hardie Plank including a house for ABC's Extreme Makeover Home Edition (Novak Family 2005). So I'll tell you what my system is and you can take it from there. First, I use ICI Dulux Paints (Glidden) which I believe are available in FLA. First, I highly recommend priming the hardie and cedar prior to painting. The primer I use is called Gripper and its excellent! It is a universal primer sealer stain-killer and will be key to the longevity of your paint job. It will also prevent tannin bleed from your cedar. I cannot stress enough how important the priming is and I do not know of a better primer than the Gripper for this application. Next, I use ICI's Fortis exterior paint as the topcoat. This is their premium acrylic exterior paint. It is high-solids high-build which means you can put it on thicker with fewer sags AND it dries thicker giving you more protection. I warranty my Hardie jobs for 20 years. I use this same system when refinishing aluminum siding and I give it a lifetime warranty. The difference is that even though hardie will not rot when exposed to water, it does absorb water to an extent which can cause problems for paint. Which also reminds me to tell you to be sure to use a high quality paintable caulk and seal all appropriate joints well. Finally, I have used SW's Duration exterior paint on other projects and had problems. And the SW rep proceeded to basically tell me that their "Lifetime" warranty didn't apply to this wood house historic renovation, even though it only had been painted a month before problems arose. So, I hope this information helps you and I wish you well on your project. Good luck!
Thank's for the info Sprayaway do you prime hardi-plank on older homes as well as new construction? I was under the interpretation that if your hardi-board was'nt chalky and had already been painted in the past that you did'nt need to re-prime as it came pre-primed and then had two coats of exterior paint applied 7 years ago, but by all means if re-priming it with the gripper is going to get me more life out of my paint then I would want to do it.Thanks for taking your time to answer my questions and for the advice.
Old 08-14-2009, 04:46 PM   #13

Hey if the siding is already painted then the priming is not as critical. Just make sure it is good and clean. You will obviously want to spot prime any bare areas or nail heads. However, if you are changing colors I would prime first with the primer tinted towards your finish color and then paint.

Spray Away is offline   Reply With Quote