Exterior Paint - Painting - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-11-2009, 02:19 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Question

Exterior Paint

Hello,
I'm new at this. Here goes!
The exterior covering of the house is painted and stained cedar siding. We are at the scraping the warped stuff stage. I know we need to prime before painting. My question is: What is the best paint brand, latex or oil? One sontractor says, I need to apply paint, and the second one says I should use opaque stain. Any thoughts someone?

Advertisement

ntesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 06:58 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

Exterior Paint

Stain is better, especially on porous wood like cedar. It soaks into the the wood and wears off over time, no cracking chiping. Paint is actually a film on the wood that can crack after drying. If the surface was previously paint, you are committed to paint, unless you completely strip the old paint off. And that requires a good primer. Consumers periodically runs tests on paints and stains, check their website for recommendations.

Advertisement

Just Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 08:56 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Exterior Paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Bill View Post
Stain is better, especially on porous wood like cedar. It soaks into the the wood and wears off over time, no cracking chiping. Paint is actually a film on the wood that can crack after drying. If the surface was previously paint, you are committed to paint, unless you completely strip the old paint off. And that requires a good primer. Consumers periodically runs tests on paints and stains, check their website for recommendations.
Hi Bill,
Thanx for your reply.
Yes, the house has both paint and stain. The paint that is chipped, which we remove leaves the wood completely bare. Other places, there is solid white paint or stain which we sand. If we remove all of the chipping and blistering, then apply a good primer, can we apply a solid stain. We don't want to repaint the house every 2 years, we need something durable.
ntesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 10:53 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,066

Exterior Paint

Primer blocks stain from doing it's job, which is to soak into the wood. A painted surface will block the stain as well. If a good portion of the house already has paint on it, you may need to prime and paint.
Matthewt1970 is offline   Reply With Quote