Exterior Mythic Paint Reviews?? - Painting - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-01-2012, 04:32 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 150

exterior mythic paint reviews??

Ive used the interior and been happy with it. I love the non toxic zero voc aspect and in that sense its the best paint out there. Having a hard time finding exterior reviews though......much harder to repaint the whole exterior... anyone used it??

Advertisement

organick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 06:55 AM   #2
Doer of Many Things

Rewards Points: 526

I haven't used the exterior. I have used the interior and was not impressed. Overpriced, ropey, burnished easily. I think the EPA has brainwashed too many people with the low VOC non-toxic aspect of paint.

Advertisement

Old 02-02-2012, 08:33 AM   #3

Your welcome to that opinion but there is alot of really nasty stuff for humans and the planet in most paint. Its the same price as other good paint. Not pushing Mythic but paint is #2 producer of VOC send only to cars. That being said if I have to repaint in 5 years as opposed to 12....well
Old 02-03-2012, 06:58 AM   #4
Doer of Many Things

Rewards Points: 526

I understand. Use what you are comfortable with. I will say that pretty much all of these products I've seen have significantly higher VOCs in their exterior products than the interior. You can get away with removing more of this stuff on the inside. Exterior products need to be more durable and you can't take out but so much of the chemicals that make it actually work without ending up with a bad product. Also keep in mind that while not all paint is zero VOC and non-toxic, the majority of them have long since reduced their VOC content to within LEED spec, which is fairly low now.
Old 02-03-2012, 08:29 AM   #5

Thats exactly my concern. I think mythic is way healthier and better for the environment being without any voc's, fermaldehyde, etc etc......but that being said if I can only get half the life of say SW super paint then it becomes a big question.....

Ever used like the SW or BM or other high quality low/zero voc?? I cant imagine they would put out a lower quality product??? Thanks
Old 02-03-2012, 10:57 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 1,000

Organick, you have some exterior painting to do, correct? With all due respect, what is your primary concern, getting a quality, durable, protective finish, or not contributing an infinitesimal amount of voc's into the air painting your infinitesimal, on a global scale, porch? Just curious. If the product is already made and waiting to be used, if you don't, someone else will. Therefore, your not using it is not doing anything to reduce VOC's on a larger basis. If it's a point of conscience, fine, but just pick one that you believe will satisfy you and your needs. Opinons are just that. Most of us, ricknowspaint possibly excepted, have no clue how well these new no/low/zero voc products are going to fare over time across varied geographical areas and climates. The Delaware Bay is less than a football field away from my front door, the Atlantic Ocean is fifteen minutes away, infinitesimal distances when placed in scale. Painted surfaces here are under constant torture from the environment. Should I be more comfortable with a chock full of voc paint or a zero one? I say the former. There are trade offs in life, pick the one you can best live with and make it happen.
jsheridan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 11:28 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsheridan View Post
Organick, you have some exterior painting to do, correct? With all due respect, what is your primary concern, getting a quality, durable, protective finish, or not contributing an infinitesimal amount of voc's into the air painting your infinitesimal, on a global scale, porch? Just curious. If the product is already made and waiting to be used, if you don't, someone else will. Therefore, your not using it is not doing anything to reduce VOC's on a larger basis. If it's a point of conscience, fine, but just pick one that you believe will satisfy you and your needs. Opinons are just that. Most of us, ricknowspaint possibly excepted, have no clue how well these new no/low/zero voc products are going to fare over time across varied geographical areas and climates. The Delaware Bay is less than a football field away from my front door, the Atlantic Ocean is fifteen minutes away, infinitesimal distances when placed in scale. Painted surfaces here are under constant torture from the environment. Should I be more comfortable with a chock full of voc paint or a zero one? I say the former. There are trade offs in life, pick the one you can best live with and make it happen.
Change only happens one person at a time......Just looking someone who has experience with it.
Old 02-06-2012, 02:30 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 10

I am really confused why professional painters seem opposed to safer paint.... they are the ones whose occupation is listed as a cause of cancer all by itself and they are the ones breathing this crap.

I have a Mythic paint store www.SmarterPaint.com and the painters that buy from us are happy to not be breathing in BPA, NPEs, Formaldehyde and all the other things that the paint companies can and do hide legally in their cans.

As far as the product goes, after over thirty years in trades, I know that Mythic is no different than the other brands in that there is a "best paint" in each line for any specific application, color and surface conditions. Their exterior paints test higher than almost any brand including the big guys for all the things you care about like scrub-ability and coverage.

With the three lines of paint, there is no company out there offering non toxic, let alone three lines for three applications including an exterior and a water based gloss. Once fellows pick the right paint for the right purpose they love it.
smarterpaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 05:06 PM   #9

Smarterpants,
I, nor any painter I know, oppose safer paint. That's a gross mischaracterization. Let's first establish our different perspectives, the proverbial "sides of the counter". You sell paint, period. Your liability, assuming you don't own Mythic paint, ends basically when I walk out the door with your product. If it doesn't, it's limited to the cost of a couple of gallons. I, on the other hand, pick up that liability as I walk out your door. My liability, minus your small contribution, is only limited by the scope of the application labor, and the cost of any prep involved in getting failures corrected prior to refinishing, with your small contribution. In addition to the financial exposure are the added damage to reputation and the aggravation of any mess that failures could incur.
Now, I've been in this business for decades as well, working day in day out with the "unsafe" products of the past. I knew what was needed for what, what each product would and wouldn't do, and how I could expect them to perform over time. That's for the most part all changed. Existing products with "safer" formulations don't behave as they used to, that gives me grief. New products, the "safe" ones, I have no clue what to expect. And, no one can show me test results where these new "safe" paints have been tested and have proven to withstand blistering sun, driving rain, temperature extremes, etc. Excuse me but, when my livelihood and reputation are on the line, I'm a skeptic, especially when it's your word I'm going on.
I've been slowly adapting to the changes. My father started out each morning making that day's batch of product, things change. I understand that. I do take an exception to the forced nature of the changes and the lack of education from the paint cos to bring us along more seamlessly.
I take exception also to the premise of the changes. I'm not a global warming believer, therefore I do to a degree resent the forced changes, especially when I'm approaching the tail end of my days in the business. Yes, I'm disgruntled. I'm being forced to relearn/retool in short order.
I also take exception to the hysteria created by "safe" and "non-toxic" marketing hype. If paint was that dangerous, a man as myself, who breathes fumes day in day out for decades would be dead or at least incapacitated and unable to work. The marketing hype leads people to believe that a weekend job of painting a bedroom with "unsafe" paint is going to create life long serious health issues. We see that mindset here. It's not. The same issue applies with small incidental exposures to lead, of which I probably am carrying around a few pounds. Hysteria abounds. Example: people who spend all day walking in the putrid polluted air of NY City go batsheet when they get a whiff of cigarette smoke, as if that's going to kill them. Get a life. I truly believe the hysteria leads to a hypochondriachal reaction in people to paint, and lead. A situation I'm glad to be encountering near the end of my painting days, because if I had to do this for too many more years, I wouldn't be able to be as nice as I'm being right now.
PS If you think your paint is "non-toxic", try putting some in a fish tank. Today, as we find out, even our OJ is becoming toxic.

Last edited by jsheridan; 02-06-2012 at 05:47 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jsheridan For This Useful Post:
Nailbags (02-14-2012), Will22 (02-16-2012)
Old 02-06-2012, 05:46 PM   #10

Ok. So what is your liability if a product performs better....is cheaper....and safer. I deal with fussy, experienced painters all day long and I help them to start to understand what they are doing to themselves, their DNA and their clients, kids and pets. Most simply don't care.... at all.

Plasticizing chemicals that are in paints are very dangerous and you should consider that about 5 POUNDS of volatile volume evaporate into your breathing environment per gallon. Water based or solvent based doesnt make a whole lot of difference except that different illnesses result like asthma and allergies. All of this information is available on the net for you to read and I suggest that you do. The chemicals you are exposed to are mutagens, endocrine disruptors, hormone mimicking compounds and lots of other things. The state of Maine requires paint companies that use BPA and NPEs in paint to register them as harmful to children.

A lot of painters defend their choice of paints and don't grasp some of this because the paint companies follow the law to the letter and only tell you what they legally have to and that is almost nothing. As far as the fish tank remark, Mythic is the only paint to my knowledge that has no marine pollutants to protect our waters from the uneducated painters that wash brushes in the sink. We have a parakeet in our mixing room and if we bring in any other paints into the room and open them to match, she goes "batsheet" trying to fly away. Otherwise she is friendly and calm. Canaries in the coal mine!

I chose to sell Mythic in our store because of the advanced polymer science that developed it and the fact that the Pentagon thought enough of its performance specs to use it in their facility. I am selling this product at the price I sell it not to get rich but to change things for the better out there. It would be great if all people in America could get up the courage to fix what they touch on a daily basis so we can leave a better world for our kids. Aside from being safer, it is also great paint.

You are in NJ and we ship paint. If you find that you want to try some we can help you. I can tell you what to expect from each of our products and that can make your life easier. You know after all these years that paint is not paint. They all have different profiles that are made for different methods of application, surfaces and general desired finish product. I think we are on the same page here. All the best.
Old 02-06-2012, 05:53 PM   #11
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

Bubbas! Stop!

He and the others jumping in are paid PR people. Trust me. I know.

Let it go. There is no battle to be won with this.

Mystical, just conceptually, sounds like a wonderful finish to me. I remember Mysty from the 70s. Nice respectable woman but for rather loose sexual behavior.

I would give Mystic a try if my clients that did not trust me to get better products---on a not totally off the wall for what it is price point---would just give it a chance.

Of course it is zero VOC and I do breathe easier. But the cheap brush you bought to paint with in a Chinese manufacturing environment. Hmmm. I guess VOCs only apply to these pure paint people if they are the ones involved. Screw global concerns?

Mystic people. Learn where you are coming from when you try this again. Don't ever come at this forum so unprepared again.

Last edited by user1007; 02-06-2012 at 05:57 PM.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to user1007 For This Useful Post:
Will22 (02-16-2012)
Old 02-06-2012, 10:15 PM   #12

Smarterpants, I can respect your opinion, that's how you feel. I'm not hostile to change, my health or my clients, or a cleaner environment. Quite the contrary. I understand the risks of working with what I do, just as the miners do, and anybody else who works with hazmats or in dangerous conditions. It's you that doesn't understand I/we do, which is why your painters blow you off. I'm not a victim of anybody or anything. The world is a dangerous place, and violent at times. Life is full of risks. Can you tell me, without a doubt, that the chemicals in your paint will not be found to create some form of health or environmental issue twenty years from now? You can't. How many additives we thought would be helpful that we found out weren't? It's become almost faddish. Many people believe that many health problems and obesity are a result of preservatives the government forced into food to avoid spoilage and increase shelf life. What happened to better living through chemicals? The point is that no one truly knows what the long term consequences of today's actions will be, no one. We're moving toward mercury laden light bulbs to clean the air, and in the process will be transferring that mercury from below ground to above ground and our water supply. No action is without equal and opposite reaction, and that reaction may be decades away.

I've worked with paint and lead most of my life. The only real problems my work has created are bad knees, elbows, neck, carpal tunnel, etc. What do we do about those disabilities? My father worked for a major electric utility in the hot zones of asbestos, "like snowfall", and radiation, nuclear reactor type, without much of the safety procedures of today. Twenty years out from his retirement, he still gets tested annually for the effects of both, and the tests are always negative. I worked for a pregnant woman in her mid thirties a few years back on a job where I used a lot of cover stain. I asked her if she wasn't concerned about it. She told me her father was a painter his whole life and her entire house was a constant work in progress. He used nothing but oil based paint, some of it most likely lead. Her mother was pregnant, gave birth to, and raised six children in that environment and they all went on to live happy, healthy and productive lives and gave their parents many healthy grandchildren. She expected that she would do the same. Keep working she said. She survived. We survive. Life kills you slowly. Everbody suffers some form of setback in pursuit/occupation that drives society forward. Some suffer, some die, but most won't suffer enough to not enjoy life, and society progresses. It's your mentality that doesn't understand that.

I wish I could say I appreciate your concern for my health more than I do, but I can't. Don't. You can think it, but don't act on it, please. It's that concern that wants to take my mayonaise away, my sweets, and the other guilty pleasures I enjoy. It's that mentality that puts, by law, full combat gear on kids riding bikes. That puts dread in their hearts that we're "killing polar bears". You can't eliminate all risk from life, and attempting to destroys its enjoyment. We're not perfect, we're going to make mistakes. Progress is fine, but don't use fear tactics to advance it and shove it down our throats, let it evolve. And, if a little kid wants to ride his bike and feel the wind in his hair and the thrill of the risk, it shouldn't be anyone else's business or concern but his parents.

Last edited by jsheridan; 02-06-2012 at 10:23 PM. Reason: To paragraph for BJ
The Following User Says Thank You to jsheridan For This Useful Post:
Nailbags (02-14-2012)
Old 02-06-2012, 10:30 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 25

I say go with the nastiest, most foul smelling, highest voc product you can buy.

The epa is ruining me here in california. The problem with exterior reviews is that even accelerated weather machines they use to run tests on paint dont have results until after the companies have changed their formulas 3 or 4 times. By the time they find out they had a good formula, they are no longer allowed to use it.

Its very frustrating as a painting contractor not being able to give people long lasting paint jobs, even with the most supreme prep job on the planet, the products just don't do it.

Consumer reports are pretty amusing to look at. The top names will be rated in the "Best" one year and then the "worst" the next. There's no constants. The paint is better for you and the environment sure when your looking at this time around. But you have to consider the other 2 times you have to paint your house to get the longevity. Have to compare the damage to the environment and your body for 3 paintjobs compared to 1.
conspikuous is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to conspikuous For This Useful Post:
jsheridan (02-06-2012), Nailbags (02-14-2012)
Old 02-06-2012, 11:26 PM   #14

Search psychoorganic syndrome and get back to me.
Old 02-07-2012, 07:53 AM   #15

jsheridan....

I fully understand your point and I am am sure it is a big issue for pros dealing with formula changes etc. But will all do respect approx 45% of all american adults have chronic health issues......Likely in large part due to chemicals in our food and daily lives......Our waterways are all polluted, our ground water is polluted.......obviously not just from paint but to say that the chemicals in paint play no part isn't quite accurate either.

Smarterpaint.......can you provide us with some good info about the paint??? like outside 3rd party info about how the paint lasts, and performs outside?? Thanks

Advertisement