Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-19-2013, 09:37 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Exterior house painting questions

Hi all, I'm going to paint before the end of summer and would like some info on paints. I've been perusing various sites and have found many opinions/arguments about what is best. This site seems to be more objective than others, so I've stopped here. Is there a reliable paint in the 30-40$/gal range?

I will be painting aluminum siding that has been painted before. Currently it is painted in a flat beige-ish color. We will probably go with light grey.

I have a Wagner sprayer available. I suppose I will have to thin the paint some. Or is it better to apply another way?

Trim around the windows and sills is wood. It's a real old farm house. Someday I will have them wrapped, but currently need to paint them too.

What about a cleaner for the siding? Is there a such thing as a good spray on/rinse off cleaner?

Last- Are paint/primer combos a good way to go?

Thanks for the info and help. I know this is a lot to ask about, but I want it to last for a while.

Mr Robinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 11:51 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 500

Flat paint on aluminum has a tendency to oxidize over time. So making sure your siding is clean and free of chalk is critical to the success of the paint you put on.
Jomax makes a house wash that comes in bottles that attach to a water hose and add the chems to the stream of water. They make it easy to apply the cleaner, then you just rinse with the hose. This works fine for removing mildew and general grime.

But, if you rub the siding with your hand and a chalky substance comes off on your hand, that's oxidation and that requires more intensive cleaning to remove. The most effective way I have found to remove it is scrubbing with a soft brush, in conjunction with pressure washing.
Even that doesn't always completely remove the chalking. If this is an issue (almost always is with old flat paint on aluminum), there are paint additives that help paint bond to chalky surfaces.
Lots of threads here about oxidation problems.

With a decent airless sprayer, thinning is unnecessary for latex paint.

The paint & primer combo products are fine as long as a true primer isn't necessary. Like on your previously painted siding. If you have areas of raw wood on the windows or trim, those should be primed with a separate ext wood primer.

There are several good brands of paint in the 30-40$ range. From Benjamin Moore, I like the Ben, and the Ultra Spec just fine.
SW has A100, and Superpaint.

Jmayspaint is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jmayspaint For This Useful Post:
ltd (08-19-2013), Mr Robinson (08-20-2013), ToolSeeker (08-19-2013), Windows on Wash (08-20-2013)
Old 08-19-2013, 08:53 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,142

Use the "Search" function, there are literally DOZENS of threads on this very topic.

For example: Paint for aluminum siding
Gymschu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 09:30 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,270

SuperPaint beats Ben and is a very standard, quality house paint.

Flat finish is also a standard, and why that is is beyond me. Everyone wants eggshell inside their home, and flat on the outside. Makes no sense. Obviously the outside is going to collect some grime, so a satin finish makes a lot of sense.
jeffnc is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jeffnc For This Useful Post:
Mr Robinson (08-20-2013)
Old 08-20-2013, 12:00 AM   #5

We have a Sherwin Williams here in town. Think I'll start there.
Thanks for the info guys!
Old 08-20-2013, 01:51 AM   #6
paper hanger and painter

Rewards Points: 2,096

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Robinson View Post
We have a Sherwin Williams here in town. Think I'll start there.
Thanks for the info guys!

do not let them talk you into Duration, it is very hard to apply correctly
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chrisn For This Useful Post:
Mr Robinson (08-20-2013)
Old 08-20-2013, 07:38 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 2,276

If by a Wagner sprayer you mean one of those little yellow buzz sprayers you would be better off looking at renting an airless. With the buzz you need to thin quite a bit, with the airless no thinning. Here where I am satin is pretty standard for ext. thankfully. I really don't care for flat paint except on ceilings. Want to hear something crazy I just painted a ceiling high gloss white for a lady could not talk her out of it. You can't even imagine how bad it looks.
ToolSeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ToolSeeker For This Useful Post:
Mr Robinson (08-20-2013)
Old 08-20-2013, 08:28 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToolSeeker View Post
If by a Wagner sprayer you mean one of those little yellow buzz sprayers you would be better off looking at renting an airless. With the buzz you need to thin quite a bit, with the airless no thinning. Here where I am satin is pretty standard for ext. thankfully. I really don't care for flat paint except on ceilings. Want to hear something crazy I just painted a ceiling high gloss white for a lady could not talk her out of it. You can't even imagine how bad it looks.
It probably is a buzzer. I've had it for a couple years but it's still new in box. I was going to paint the barn with it, but decided the barn in going to be removed instead.

What's a decent homeowner type of airless sprayer? Are they pretty expensive?
Old 08-20-2013, 09:56 AM   #9

For HVLP the Wagner Flexio sprays the thicker latex paints fine. Graco also makes some higher powered ones that will spray latex.

Yes the airless sprayers are more expensive. You can find some good deals on refurbished units.
http://www.gleempaint.com/airspray.html

They can be super powerful, but the problem is the they throw a lot of spray in the air and if you're not careful it can get all over the place. Some pros use an airless sprayer to apply the paint, then the second painter comes in behind him to "back brush" it, meaning he goes over it with a brush which pushes the paint into all the little nooks and crannies and smooths out the paint. A lot of time in house painting is spent getting the paint from the bucket to the house with your brush, so this approach is very fast. Aluminum siding without the fake woodgrain won't have nooks and crannies.

Last edited by jeffnc; 08-20-2013 at 10:04 AM.
Mr Robinson (08-20-2013)
Old 08-20-2013, 11:39 AM   #10

Rewards Points: 2,142

I would just rent a sprayer if you're just doing your house. Any decent sprayer is gonna be at least $1,000. Rent one for a few days for a couple hundred dollars and save some $$$.
Gymschu is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Gymschu For This Useful Post:
Mr Robinson (08-20-2013)
Old 08-20-2013, 02:18 PM   #11

I have a different opinion on that - I don't think you need to spend $1,000 at all to get a decent sprayer, and personally I wouldn't ever rent something for $200 if I could buy something for that price. Yes a $200 rental is going to be a pro machine that can withstand lots of use, but you don't need one that is going to be used 200 days a year.
Mr Robinson (08-20-2013)
Old 08-20-2013, 02:49 PM   #12

I appreciate the info guys! You been helpful! SW is having a sale soon that I will be getting in on. I already bought some stuff to remove the chalk. I'll be getting started in a couple weeks hopefully.
Old 08-20-2013, 03:55 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 2,276

A few years ago I bought a Graco airless from the depot for about $300 if memory serves me well. It was my first venture into spraying. It sprays well without thinning. I have a bigger sprayer now but that old graco is still working for me. I use it on smaller jobs it's a good sprayer and will handle anything you throw at it. And yes overspray is a problem but with common sense and the right tools, such as tips it can be controlled to a large degree. On our sister forum Paint Talk I believe it's Jmayspaint has a very good post about controlling overspray. And you should not have to back roll on alum. siding. Witchever one you decide on, buy, rent or buzz let us know and we can help you.

ToolSeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ToolSeeker For This Useful Post:
Gymschu (08-20-2013), Mr Robinson (08-21-2013)