Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-20-2011, 09:21 AM   #1

Share |

exterior front door painting after builder paint

This is the painting on a metal door once being painted by the builder. I am working with black (what gloss I am not sure). I skuffed sanded and cleaned the door with tsp and rinsed well. The first coat I applied (my mistake) was with Valspar Exterior Semi Gloss, tinted black. Their black and my black are totally different. The homeowner also agreed that a very dark charcoal was not black. I skuffed sanded (and in an area the the wreath on the front door cut down to bare metal, I primed that with spray kilz applied with an artist brush) and then painted with what the Sherwin Williams clerk recommended. Being that I was only doing one door I did not want to buy a whole gallon, which is the only way you can buy a deep base in the Duration, if I was I would have bought the Duration. For the one door I purchased a quart of "All Surface Enamel". The clerk told me that would be my best way to go to get a gloss (even tho not the gloss I was hoping for), in a deep base and cover the Valspar. Ok----I skuffed sanded, cleaned the dust off, opened the door to the interior so it would not get to hot and in the application on the All Surface Enamel if got horrible brush marks. I tried to do a quick second coat, partially to cover any missed areas but to also give the best protection I could. The second coat almost looked like brushed stainless steel. The color was good, but on a metal door with those brush marks what can I do to fix this??

www.picturetrail.com/mickey51
m1951mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 10:11 AM   #2

tought situation now.you may need to take the door off and use a paint stripper.and sand paper wet/or dry.this time around to get a professional finish.spray a primer several coats.wet sand any over spray.let dry use a tack cloth and spray the door while laying flat.remember to let the coats of paint flash off before apply next coat.

good luck

Marbledust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 10:25 AM   #3

Ok, are you going to be there for me to help remove a steel door??? This is just one single front door and I am not sure weather the client will mind the brush marks or not since they are out of town, it is my eye that is unhappy. I wish I had spray equipment, but then again, I love what a brush and good paint will do, let alone having to clean the equipment for one door, time is money.

I very much appreciate your input!!!! Thank you for being interested!!!!1

Old 08-20-2011, 12:05 PM   #4

M, sand the marks out the best you can, then switch to oil. Stop screwing with latex on a steel door in the summer, especially with a high gloss. Go to Ben Moore and get alkyd Impervo gloss, you can buy it in quarts.
Impervo® Alkyd High Gloss Metal & Wood Enamel C133

A premium quality interior/exterior, alkyd enamel that when used according to label and system directions provides superior rust inhibition and dries to a mirror-like, high gloss finish. Impervo Alkyd High Gloss Metal & Wood Enamel provides for years of durability and is suitable for both exterior and interior surfaces.

Here's what you'll get, just be sure to use a good quality latex brush, something thin that doesn't hold a lot of paint.
Attached Thumbnails
exterior front door painting after builder paint-img00534-20110714-1609.jpg  
jsheridan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jsheridan For This Useful Post:
m1951mm (08-20-2011)
Old 08-20-2011, 12:31 PM   #5
Painting Company, NY

When painting smooth doors, especially metal if you use a low nap mohair mini roller you will not have brush marks and you'll end up with a sprayed looking finish.
housepaintingny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 12:32 PM   #6
Painting Company, NY

When painting smooth doors, especially metal if you use a low nap mohair mini roller you will not have brush marks and you'll end up with a sprayed looking finish. I have used SW all surface enamel a lot. I think the heat may have played a part in your problem.
Old 08-20-2011, 01:12 PM   #7

I opened this door to the inside of the house, air conditioned, dropped the doorway closed to keep the dog and the cat from getting out, so heat was not necessarly my problem. Being a six panel door a mini roller did not seem to be necessary since I needed to brush in the styles. It took less than 10 min to do the coat, but it was still setting up way soon. I appreciate Jsheridan's input about doing an oil base, but I sure was hoping to get good results with a water borne paint and not spending $40.00 or more per gallon to do it.

Old 08-20-2011, 01:42 PM   #8
Painting Company, NY

[AQUOTE=m1951mm;711527]I opened this door to the inside of the house, air conditioned, dropped the doorway closed to keep the dog and the cat from getting out, so heat was not necessarly my problem. Being a six panel door a mini roller did not seem to be necessary since I needed to brush in the styles. It took less than 10 min to do the coat, but it was still setting up way soon. I appreciate Jsheridan's input about doing an oil base, but I sure was hoping to get good results with a water borne paint and not spending $40.00 or more per gallon to do it.[/QUOTE]

I was only suggesting a mohair mini roller, because I do understand that you have to cut the panels in, but the mohair roller will leave the flats on the door brush mark free. It can be done with a brush too without leaving brush marks if the paint is backbrushed and laid off correctly with a quality brush. You don't want to try to re paint before the first coat has dried. Using any gloss especially on metal or smooth surfaces is tricky. I was only giving you an opinion to the problem as for the heat, because I've used SW All Surface Enamel countless times and have not had a problem. Personally I would have used SW semi-gloss DTM. Only giving you a suggestion using the mohair mini , as I've literally done hundreds of metal doors and metal jambs interior-exterior over the years and if I'm not spraying them using a mohair mini is my method.
The Following User Says Thank You to housepaintingny For This Useful Post:
m1951mm (08-20-2011)
Old 08-20-2011, 07:24 PM   #9

I would go with the mini mohair, juice the paint up quite a bit, do all the panels first and let the lap onto the stiles and rails set till just about dry to the touch, then whizz stiles and rails. I'll often do troublesome, flush steel doors that way. Rather than trying to brush through tacking paint, allow it to set and come back to it. Sometimes I'll do it in three sections when brushing, panels, let set, stiles, let set, rails done. Oh, and get the heel or toe done first thing, wipe the overage on the doorface with a rag. Don't feather it out because your just adding more paint to tack and drag. Keep a wet brush.
jsheridan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 08:20 PM   #10
NACE Coating Inspector

i like to use a mohair on metal doors. also adding some penetrol to oil will help it lay out and bite a little better.

mustangmike3789 is offline   Reply With Quote