Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-08-2012, 12:03 PM   #1

Share |

exterior front door

Used exterior high gloss latex paint on entrance door. Can I polyurethane over the paint to protect it?

Beca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 04:10 PM   #2

exterior front door

Don't do it!!!!!!!!! Number one, poly will break down from the UV rays of the sun, and #2, if you ever want to repaint the door you will have to strip the poly or at the very least, have to apply a bonding primer before repainting. Trust me, the high gloss will be more than enough to protect that door. On my own house I have used high gloss on both metal entrance doors and they look as good today as they did when the paint was applied 8 years ago.

Gymschu is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gymschu For This Useful Post:
ltd (07-08-2012), martinchris (07-10-2012)
Old 07-08-2012, 04:46 PM   #3
paper hanger and painter

exterior front door

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beca View Post
Used exterior high gloss latex paint on entrance door. Can I polyurethane over the paint to protect it?

Why in the world would you want too? If quality paint was used then it is protected as much as it needs to be.
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 09:11 AM   #4

exterior front door

door was a pre-primed door. didn't reprime and now if you run a nail along it you see white where the paint was. Don't know what to do. I have 3 coats on it.
Old 07-09-2012, 09:39 AM   #5

exterior front door

Quote:
door was a pre-primed door. didn't reprime and now if you run a nail along it you see white where the paint was. Don't know what to do. I have 3 coats on it.
How long since it was painted? If its that exterior acrylic paint it takes a while to set up hard. You said it was factory primed, was it a really smooth finish or did it "feel" like primer? May of needed to be sanded it first.
hayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 04:52 PM   #6

exterior front door

Of course we all forgot the million dollar question. Was it box store paint or quality paint from Sherwin_Williams or Benjamin Moore?
Gymschu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 04:56 PM   #7
paper hanger and painter

exterior front door

Quote:

Well ,duh, stop scratching it with the nail, let the paint cure for 30 days. If you went scratching poly with a nail what do you think would happen?

Unless you ment FINGER nail? Either way let it cure properly, it should be fine, unless you put on the 2nd and 3rd coats on without drying properly
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 02:00 PM   #8

exterior front door

Thanks, I'll wait longer. Used Valspar paint. Waited between coats. It was my fingernail that hit it, accidently, after about 3 days. I didn't realize it might take a month to cure.
Old 07-10-2012, 08:12 PM   #9

exterior front door

I did some recent painting with latex exterior and noticed it was still a bit soft. I painted some buildings with metal siding last year with exterior acrylic latex paint and checked it out today. That stuff is real hard. You can't touch it with a finger nail, it would take a screw driver or something sharp to scratch it down to metal. I suspect being that its painted on metal and not wood or drywall its going to take a lot longer to cure also.

hayman is offline   Reply With Quote