DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Exterior Door Jamb Paint Repair Help!!

3K views 15 replies 7 participants last post by  JKeefe 
#1 ·
Hello -

I have a bunch of door frames and even my garage frame that need to be repainted. I know I will have to scrap and maybe sand. But how do I get the paint that will not come off blend in or feather in to make it look like a smooth transition from old to new paint jobs? Not a little craters where the paint use to be.

I can’t find the right key works or industry name to describe it. I attached two images of what my door frames look like.

Thank you,
David

See less See more
#2 ·
It's called "feathering". It sometimes requires some aggressive sanding on peeling like that, but, you sand the area around the bare wood a few inches all around the bare spot to remove any high spots that create the "crater" effect. It takes some practice and you have to develop an actual feel for the wood to know that you have succeeded in leveling the surface.

#3 ·
Got some real issues there.
Horrible caulking job, lack of routine mantaince.
No J moulding where the siding meets the Brick moulding.
No bonding between the primer and the paint.
If it was mine I would remove that storm door and replace the old wooden brick moulding with new vinyl brick moulding. Then just a bead of caulking between the moulding and the siding.
Insist on using what you have now then a paint scraper then a random orbital sander, primer then two coats of or paints needed.

#7 ·
I've never seen or heard of prebent metal in the shape of brick moulding.
However it can be done with a brake buddy on a brake.
Google it.
That old aluminum siding expands and contracts a lot. Looks like someone added that door after the siding was installed.
No one in there right mind would have installed in without J moulding.

#10 ·
I've resided at least at least 100 houses that had aluminum siding and never once saw one without 3/4" J moulding around the doors and windows. Sure way to have caulking fail. J would cover the gap, caulking's just going to fail.
Been in every HD, Lowes, ABC Supply, and Lancing within 50 miles and never have seen premade coil stock bent to the shape of brick moulding.
Not a bad idea, just never seen it.

#13 ·
Well - After weighing all the great tips and ideas from everyone. I broke down this past weekend removed the wooden brick moulding and replaced it with new vinyl brick moulding. I think it looks great and worked out great. Even replaced the doors sill

The hardest steps of the whole thing was caulking... haha

Thank you to everyone for their post. Would have not been able to do with out them.

David

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.