Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-14-2011, 06:09 PM   #1

Share |

Exterior: choices are Valspar Medallion, Ben Moore, Sher Wms, ColorPlace, Coronado??

I'm really confused. Painters going to start painting the exterior of our house in a couple of days. As far as paint, my only choices in the town I live in for the 5 gallon amounts are as follows:

Sherwin Williams ColorPlace--Wal Mart (77.00)
Ace (125.00)
Valspar Medallion (159.99)
Coronado (gallon cans only at $34 each to equal 170.00 per 5 gallons)
Benjamin Moore (190.00)

I hear all the time that Benjamin Moore is the cadillac of all these paints. But look at the price. I'll do it if I have to, but are ANY of the others as worthy??

Thanks for any help.

purplegrapes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 06:44 PM   #2

Exterior: choices are Valspar Medallion, Ben Moore, Sher Wms, ColorPlace, Coronado??

Coronado
ACE
Benajmin Moore

Any these three brands will be fine.

StevenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 06:57 PM   #3

Coronado is a Ben Moore product.
jsheridan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 07:02 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenH View Post
Coronado
ACE
Benajmin Moore

Any these three brands will be fine.
Really!! Even Ace?? Hooray!!
Old 03-14-2011, 07:49 PM   #5
ltd

are they painting 1 coat or 2 if 1 you want to use the best paint you can get. for that matter the paint is only a small part of cost .i dont know ben moore line but of the choices you said i would go top of line Ben . or at lest next best ben you can save a few bucks on interior paint and i do but when it comes to exterior get the best you can.
ltd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 08:49 PM   #6
Painting Company, NY

I prefer to use Sherwin Williams Super Paint. Have never had a problem with it. I would not use ace or walmarts and I would not buy the paint exclusively based on the price. If you go with Sherwin Williams or Ben Moore you'll be good.
housepaintingny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 10:06 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by housepaintingny View Post
I prefer to use Sherwin Williams Super Paint. Have never had a problem with it. I would not use ace or walmarts and I would not buy the paint exclusively based on the price. If you go with Sherwin Williams or Ben Moore you'll be good.
I haven't used SW for a while, but
Have you notice a change with their coverage?
Old 03-15-2011, 10:29 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by housepaintingny View Post
So you are basically saying go with Ben Moore (since the Sherwin Williams I can get is only Wal Marts ColorPlace)...but would you still recommend Coronado as compared to getting JUST Ben Moore's?? (Yes I know that Coronado is Ben Moore, but is it as good as straight Ben Moore?
Old 03-15-2011, 07:34 PM   #9

Forget Wal Marts ColorPlace

If you get top of line of BM and SW paints, you will be fine.
But for Cornando paint

It depends what you are willing to spend. If you need a lower priced product with some quality, Cornando paint is fine.
The Following User Says Thank You to StevenH For This Useful Post:
purplegrapes (03-15-2011)
Old 03-15-2011, 07:40 PM   #10
Painting Company, NY

What does the painter propose to use in the written estimate he submitted you? You said you had a contractor starting to paint your house. I am confused. If you have a painter that will be painting your house then the company should have given you options as far as paint and that should have been included in your estimate and then again included in the contract between you and the painting company.
housepaintingny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 07:46 PM   #11

Here's how my story turned out: Turns out that they didn't have enough on hand for the Benjamin Moore. They would have had to ordered it.

Coronado was available, but they closed before we could get there.

We decided to drive to the next town--20 minutes away. Found the Sherwin Williams--BOY WAS IT HIGH PRICED. Higher than Benjamin Moore. So, we headed to Home Depot--to my surprise, they had Behr's Premium Plus. Though we saw one painter on a forum who HATES it, the reviews were excellent.

So....we got Behr's Premium Plus. Paid just over what we would have paid for Coronado thanks to 10% off from getting their credit card, and FAR less than Sherwin Williams and even less than Benjamin Moore, yet still rated really high.

I sure appreciated all your comments. It all helped. thank you!
Old 03-15-2011, 08:08 PM   #12
Doer of Many Things

You need to stop trusting ratings. Especially Consumer Reports. I get more people in my store looking for paint to fix the nightmare they got into with Behr than any other brand. Behr is junk.
poppameth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 09:01 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppameth View Post
You need to stop trusting ratings. Especially Consumer Reports. I get more people in my store looking for paint to fix the nightmare they got into with Behr than any other brand. Behr is junk.
Can you be more specific on how its junk? This is exterior satin mix of paint and primer.
Old 03-15-2011, 09:47 PM   #14
Doer of Many Things

That right there is the number one problem. There is no such thing as paint and primer in one. Primer and paint serve different purposes and there is no combining them. You will just end up with a product that does neither job well. Application is another big issue. Most of the pro painters I deal with tell their customers up front now that if they insist on Behr then the price to do the job will be higher. They all seem to run into application and coverage issues. Often they end up using far more product than estimated because the coverage is nothing like Behr claims. I had a customer bring me a can of interior Behr Premium Plus today we had to put on some quarter round we are installing along with some flooring for them. The stuff was drippy and runny with poor coverage and left a ropey finish. I'd hate to have to use it on a big project.

Most of the other complaints I head involve life expectancy. Many of the unhappy Behr customers I run into are complaining that the paint only lasted a couple of years before it needed recoated. Often the film had started peeling already. Behr is poor quality but usable on the interior. On the exterior I would refuse to use it if I were a professional painter. I wouldn't want to deal with the inevitable callback to fix product failures.
poppameth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 06:21 AM   #15
Mod

The only reason Behr is the best selling paint in America is because HD decided to market it.

There are no shortcuts (p&p in 1 can) you only get what you pay for.

If your contractor was a “paint pro” you would already know this and he/she would never even let you near HD or Wal-Mart.

Last edited by kwikfishron; 03-16-2011 at 07:02 AM.
kwikfishron is online now   Reply With Quote