DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Exposed Wood Beams...Paint or Stain?

10K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  BCClassic 
#1 ·
We've just bought a house and it has exposed wood beams. The previous owner painted the walls and got paint on the beams, so now I'm wanting to paint or stain the beams but don't know which is best to use.

Also, I have ceramic tile around my fireplace and I want to know what is the best way to remove this so I can put up something I like.

I have lots of DIY plans but will need advice, so thanks in advance to anyone and everyone who responds.

#2 ·
I'd vote for stain, but that me, minwax, choose a stain color. The way I think if you don't like the way it looks you can always paint over it, you can't do that if you paint first.

A bit of sanding to get the old paint off, or some trim moulding to cover it if that is easier.

Ceramic removal, hammer, safety glasses or shield, has always worked for me.

#3 ·
It's your preference on this one.......depends on the look you want. I know I had beams in my living room that I eventually removed to make the room look bigger. No matter what you choose you're gonna have quite a project on your hands. You could remove as much paint as you can with goof-off or Oops, lightly sand and recoat with whatever clear coat was used originally. To paint the beams, you're gonna have to prime with a bonding primer so the paint will "stick" to the finish on the beams,& then apply your color of choice......2 coats.

Reactions: getrex
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.