DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Exploding paint can

5K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  BigJim 
#1 ·
I went to open a gallon of previously used latex paint(last opened about 2 months ago) in a finished furnished room and as soon as I cracked the lid it blew off in my face and all over the room.

I've never experienced this before and I was the one who put the lid on last. I've always used the same method - rubber mallet around the radius of the lid until it's nice and snug. Never had paint blow in my face before in 10 years. I did notice the paint looked bubbly.

Any idea why this would happen? LOL :whistling2:

#7 ·
Same thing happened to me with a can of sorghum molasses, blew the lid across the room with a big puff of blue smoke. It had fermented, that is the first thing that popped in my mine about your paint.

#3 ·
No heat that I know of. It's been stored with the rest of my cans in a shelf away from any direct heat source and the last time I used it was at room temp.

Luckily my body took most of the splatter and since it's latex the rest cleaned up with.... effort, and lots of it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.