Experiencing Problems After Wallpaper Removal - Painting - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-06-2008, 12:37 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

experiencing problems after wallpaper removal

Hi everyone, first post here and I wanted to say thanks ahead of time for any input. Here is my problem and its details:

I am working with plaster walls after stripping wallpaper. The walls were stripped using TSP and thouroughly cleaned/rinsed afterwards. I allowed the walls to dry overnight before I applied an oil-based primer. I was told to use this over latex because it would create a barrier against any moisture left in the wall and my top coats. After priming, I sanded the walls and applied some mud to areas that needed attention using powder sheetrock (45 minute). I allowed the mud to dry 24 hours before I sanded, vacuumed and primed the patches. Since I had some laying around I used a flat white latex to prime the patches and everything looked good, no bubbles yet. I allowed the patched and primed areas another 24 hours of drying time before applying my wall color. Now when I applied the first coat of wall color (latex, eggshell) I noticed a few bubbles but they flattened out by the next day. 24 hours later when I applied the finish coat I noticed alot more bubbling and this time they did not flatten upon drying.

So now I'm not sure what I should do. Most of the bubbles are so small I am tempted to not touch it because it really isn't that noticeable from even five feet away. I am however worried about premature peeling if I leave it alone. Should I sand the bubbles down and throw another coat on?

So I guess I'm looking for a few things here...Options on where to go from here and also, What did I do wrong? Should I have primed the patchwork with something other than a flat white? Should I not have used an oil-based primer for latex paint? I was told you can use latex over an oil-based primer but not oil-based paint. Anyway, apologies for the length but I wanted to be as specific as possible. Any suggestions would be great and thanks again.

Advertisement

Last edited by gocubs; 09-06-2008 at 12:40 PM.
gocubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 05:59 PM   #2
Tired, Cold, and Damp

Rewards Points: 2,000

experiencing problems after wallpaper removal

If could be any of a number of factors
But before we get into that:

What was the exact oil primer used, and what was used as a top coat?

Are the bubbles only over the areas patched with quick mud?

When the wall covering was removed, was there paint underneath?

Advertisement

slickshift is offline   Reply With Quote