Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-19-2010, 10:53 AM   #1

Share |

Everything was already painted, including the crown moulding!

Hello everyone! So I just bought a house and in pursuit of trying to make this place mine, I've decided to paint the rooms. The problem is, the last owners painted before me and there's about 5 coats on now. They also painted right over the crown moulding. I have a couple of questions: 1) how many coats is okay to apply to the walls before I should strip everything and start over? 2) should I remove the old crown moulding and apply new? 3) should I or can I strip the paint off the original crown moulding and repaint it? Thanks!

C_Sato23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 11:17 AM   #2

do you know if the trim is wood that you can stain?

Tom Struble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 11:29 AM   #3

I can't tell because the paint that's on it is so thick, but I'd rather prime and paint it white, if I can.
Old 09-19-2010, 11:49 AM   #4

If you do a good sanding job before hand then that will make the job look better. Really concentrate on any runs, paint boogers and roller rope (Lines from the roller). I like to use a pole sander as you can really put some muscle behind it. Stripping crown moulding can be a real pain in the rear and often times it is just easier to replace it.
Matthewt1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Matthewt1970 For This Useful Post:
C_Sato23 (09-20-2010)
Old 09-20-2010, 12:10 AM   #5

be careful on the walls or you may find yourself with the compressor and texture hopper fixing the texture you sanded off. often times a quality paint will easily cover the old in 2 coats tops. your crowns also may have been primed mdf, if they were they have to carry some paint, white is the most common. unless you have a lot of runs or weirdness i would just paint over what you have. you can find plenty of quality paint for under $25 a gallon, sherwin williams pro mar 200 is my favorite cheap paint, miller is another good cheap paint.
racebum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 12:53 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by racebum View Post
often times a quality paint will easily cover the old in 2 coats tops. your crowns also may have been primed mdf, if they were they have to carry some paint, white is the most common. unless you have a lot of runs or weirdness i would just paint over what you have.
Thanks so much everyone! I do have some additional questions: So of I do have a few runs here and there, should I spot sand? If the paint on the corners and edges look really thick, should I sand that too? Lastly, how well will the moulding hold up to a stripper like jasco, and is that even recommended?
Old 09-23-2010, 02:38 PM   #7

I would try sanding first. It depends on how bad it really is and of course your expectations of the finished product. If the paint that you are sanding is latex try green sandpaper from 3M it's heat resistant and will help to prevent the paint from heating up from the friction and peeling off. If you think you still want to try jasco get a small container and test it out in a small section to see if it's something that you really want to take on. Jasco will not hurt wood or mdf, but it will harm the finish on hardwood floors so make sure you cover up anything that you care about, including your skin!

Hope this helps!

www.PearlPainters.com
Pearl Painters Portland Oregon

Quote:
Originally Posted by C_Sato23 View Post
Thanks so much everyone! I do have some additional questions: So of I do have a few runs here and there, should I spot sand? If the paint on the corners and edges look really thick, should I sand that too? Lastly, how well will the moulding hold up to a stripper like jasco, and is that even recommended?

Pearl Painters is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Pearl Painters For This Useful Post:
C_Sato23 (09-23-2010)