Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-05-2013, 05:41 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 2,220

Even a pro screws things up, SHEESH!!!

Dummy me, I had some Cover Stain leak through some lightweight drop cloths onto a new laminate counter top in a kitchen where I am painting cabinets. I panicked and grabbed the Goof-off thinking it would not harm the laminate. WRONG! Now the counter has dull spots where I took the paint off. The customer is calling in the counter guy to see what can be done. In the meantime, I was wondering if anyone has any ideas? I figure I'm about to make the 2nd insurance claim of my 34 year painting career. The first was a church where the preacher claimed we got paint chips inside a pipe organ that was completely covered in plastic and drops.

BTW, I know Goof-Off is not formulated to remove any oil-based paint, but that's all I had on hand so I gave it a try on a smaller spot and it didn't APPEAR to cause any problems........

Last edited by Gymschu; 09-05-2013 at 08:39 PM.
Gymschu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 06:28 PM   #2
ltd

Rewards Points: 508

try a little cooking oil on a soft cloth and kind of buff it out . or see if home owner can live with it if you knock off a hundred. hope all works out for you we have all been there

ltd is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ltd For This Useful Post:
Gymschu (09-05-2013)
Old 09-05-2013, 09:37 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,450

Cooking oil per se isn't a very good idea, but he might be on to something. Think of a different kind of oil maybe..... (you don't want anything organic on there....)

Last edited by jeffnc; 09-05-2013 at 10:31 PM.
jeffnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 10:24 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,478

We've all been there or will be there someday. I have started using the rubber backed drops for this very reason spills won't soak thru. SW has a new drop that is supposed to not soak thru, bought one haven't used it yet. Good luck on the repair. One time I mark a piece of marble with a sharpie, BAD idea.

Last edited by ToolSeeker; 09-06-2013 at 09:23 AM.
ToolSeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ToolSeeker For This Useful Post:
Gymschu (09-06-2013)
Old 09-06-2013, 08:16 AM   #5

Still haven't heard back from the HO's who were to contact the laminate installer to see what could be done. I thought by now they would have called me one way or another so my hopes are not high. Small kitchen and it was laminate.......so total cost should not exceed the original $1400 install.......$500 insurance deductible so, basically I painted their cabinets for free. Only my 2nd claim on insurance in 34 years so I guess I'm doing pretty good that way. Just irks me that I was so stupid and careless. I got complacent thinking there was only a small amount of painting on the underside of the cabinetry.........lesson learned, again.
Old 09-06-2013, 08:32 AM   #6
Mod

Regardless on how it plays out it looks like you're going to make it right. I applaud you for that! Many homeowners aren't so lucky.
The Following User Says Thank You to kwikfishron For This Useful Post:
Gymschu (09-08-2013)
Old 09-06-2013, 08:45 AM   #7

I cheat sometimes and don't cover all the surfaces I should (I put tools on countertops, don't cover all floors I might be better of covering.) I'm going to get dinged by it someday if I don't tighten up.

When I lived in a condo (my property, not a customer property) I had no work space, which I hated, so I had to do all projects on my kitchen counter. I had to fill up the water in my jet ski battery. At some point a few drops of liquid (i.e. acid) from the battery must have gotten on the black "galaxy" Formica countertop, because the next day there were white spots on it. Nothing to be done to really fix, but I think I touched it up with a Sharpie best I could when I sold the condo.
Old 09-06-2013, 11:44 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 250

Your a stand up guy Gym that's what counts.There has only been one perfect man on planet earth.He wasn't a painter he was a carpenter.
AndyH24 (09-07-2013), ltd (09-07-2013), ToolSeeker (09-07-2013)
Old 09-08-2013, 11:13 AM   #9

Well, thanks for all the kind words. I am usually very open and honest about any mistakes I make that impact the homeowner. Like many of you, I know that what goes around, comes around, so to try to slide out of the responsibility would be dishonest and wrong. I haven't heard from the homeowners which means, well, it could mean anything. I'm thinking their counter guy hasn't checked it out yet OR, they are soooo mad about it that they don't want to call me. I have to go back on Tues. to finish the kitchen so I guess I will know then what my fate is...........I guess paying in to 30 years of liability insurance is going to bail me out.......hopefully.
Old 09-08-2013, 07:33 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gymschu View Post
they are soooo mad about it that they don't want to call me.
Possible, but unlikely. I tend to assume when I don't hear from someone, something's wrong. But 95% of the time it's basically because they've got other things taking their time.
Old 09-09-2013, 10:54 AM   #11
Roofmaster

Rewards Points: 2,094

I too applaud your stance on this but I think you should take the bull by the horns, and YOU contact the laminate installer, meet him at the site, and come up with a solution with the HO. You dont want this to simmer. You want to resolve it, and move on.

They could be thinking

"Here we hired a professional, he screws up the counter tops, and now WE have to contact the laminate guy??? The reason we hired a pro in the first place is because we did not have the time or knowledge to deal with this"

Take a pro-active approach, and deal with the laminate guy yourself. Dont expect him to wait for you to get an insurance check, pay him as soon as he completes the work, and YOU wait for the insurance check.

Kill this thing fast, with a happy customer at the end, because its not the screw-up that matters, its the recovery. And dont beat yourself up, we ALL make mistakes.

"Experience is recognizing the mistake the second time you make it"

jagans is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jagans For This Useful Post:
Gymschu (09-09-2013)