Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-13-2011, 07:02 AM   #16
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Cape May, NJ
Posts: 2,392
Rewards Points: 1,000
Default

Epoxy or Resin Paints for Outdoor Wood Deck


What layer does it peel down to, the previous layer of stain or bare wood?

jsheridan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 04:40 PM   #17
Member
 
CruiseDivaNJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 61
Rewards Points: 75
Default

Epoxy or Resin Paints for Outdoor Wood Deck


Quote:
Originally Posted by jsheridan View Post
What layer does it peel down to, the previous layer of stain or bare wood?
Bare wood....

CruiseDivaNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 07:08 AM   #18
Member
 
CruiseDivaNJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 61
Rewards Points: 75
Default

Epoxy or Resin Paints for Outdoor Wood Deck


Any one else with suggestions?

CruiseDivaNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 07:41 AM   #19
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Cape May, NJ
Posts: 2,392
Rewards Points: 1,000
Default

Epoxy or Resin Paints for Outdoor Wood Deck


Hi Diva, since the stain is failing down to the wood, the initial coat is failing. It may or may not be a deck wide failure, but localized. However, the failed areas will continue to expand as moisture penetrates the now exposed wood. You didn't give us an extent so it's hard to tell. You can strip the deck, at least the horizontals, prepare the exposed wood and refinish. Or, you can do a good sanding of the failing areas and refinish. You're looking to do a start over using a high tech finish, so what you need to do to prepare for that finish is going to be determined by what the manufacturer specifies. You need to find a product you think you can believe in first. I asked what part of NJ are you from, I'm outside Cape May. When I suggested hiring a pro deck outfit, this is why I did. Go to this page and scroll down for the pics. http://www.painttalk.com/f6/behr-acr...removal-13283/
jsheridan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 10:37 AM   #20
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 13
Rewards Points: 10
Default

Epoxy or Resin Paints for Outdoor Wood Deck


Quote:
Originally Posted by Duration View Post
Epoxy resins become so very hard that they will not flex when your wood deck expands and contracts with varied temperature and humidity. Coat the deck with epoxy and you'll have a very expensive paint failure on your hands. Also, epoxy resins are very unstable in regard to color and gloss retention. The average epoxy cannot be touched up after 2 weeks in direct sunlight.
I built a screened porch using vertical grain fir exposed framing. All six sides of the fir were coated with two or three coats of marine epoxy by West System with sanding between coats. I also is used to glue all the framing members together just like a boat is built. On top of this I primed and painted with white paint. After several years it still looks great. And cleans easily. But it is a very expensive and labor consuming way to go. And can be somewhat dangerous to use if you are not trained in its use. I would never recommend epoxy on deck wood unless all six sides are coated. But if you want a boat deck like appearance it is possible if you use the right materials. If you do you must use a UV acceptable catalyst and top coat of marine grade varnish. I would use stone for decks though. Less expensive in the long run.
dobbsj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 04:57 PM   #21
Member
 
CruiseDivaNJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 61
Rewards Points: 75
Default

Epoxy or Resin Paints for Outdoor Wood Deck


Quote:
Originally Posted by jsheridan View Post
Hi Diva, since the stain is failing down to the wood, the initial coat is failing. It may or may not be a deck wide failure, but localized. However, the failed areas will continue to expand as moisture penetrates the now exposed wood. You didn't give us an extent so it's hard to tell. You can strip the deck, at least the horizontals, prepare the exposed wood and refinish. Or, you can do a good sanding of the failing areas and refinish. You're looking to do a start over using a high tech finish, so what you need to do to prepare for that finish is going to be determined by what the manufacturer specifies. You need to find a product you think you can believe in first. I asked what part of NJ are you from, I'm outside Cape May. When I suggested hiring a pro deck outfit, this is why I did. Go to this page and scroll down for the pics. http://www.painttalk.com/f6/behr-acr...removal-13283/
We live near Princeton. I think it would be the best decision to strip the deck and refinish it NOT using latex stain! The peeling is too widespread on the horizontal areas. It really should be done the right way anyway!

I KNOW IT WILL LOOK GREAT!

Thanks for sending me over to painttalk.com, appreciate it.
CruiseDivaNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 04:58 PM   #22
Member
 
CruiseDivaNJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 61
Rewards Points: 75
Default

Epoxy or Resin Paints for Outdoor Wood Deck


Quote:
Originally Posted by dobbsj View Post
I built a screened porch using vertical grain fir exposed framing. All six sides of the fir were coated with two or three coats of marine epoxy by West System with sanding between coats. I also is used to glue all the framing members together just like a boat is built. On top of this I primed and painted with white paint. After several years it still looks great. And cleans easily. But it is a very expensive and labor consuming way to go. And can be somewhat dangerous to use if you are not trained in its use. I would never recommend epoxy on deck wood unless all six sides are coated. But if you want a boat deck like appearance it is possible if you use the right materials. If you do you must use a UV acceptable catalyst and top coat of marine grade varnish. I would use stone for decks though. Less expensive in the long run.
I dont think Im looking for the finish you're describing, but thanks so much for your reply!

CruiseDivaNJ

CruiseDivaNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CruiseDivaNJ For This Useful Post:
dhooks (04-04-2014)
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Deck Staining Nightmare steven994 Painting 6 04-06-2014 09:10 PM
epoxy coating for waterproof deck Jeremy Hillary Boob, PhD Building & Construction 3 08-27-2010 06:33 AM
Drylok or epoxy paint for sealing concrete Deck? ohman Painting 7 07-24-2009 03:51 PM
Building a new deck....and creative uses of granite scrap in outdoor living space Rhizzlebop Building & Construction 9 05-15-2009 11:17 AM




Top of Page | View New Posts

Copyright © 2003-2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.