Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-25-2014, 10:41 AM   #1

Share |

Eliminate paint "creep" under tape

This one is probably well known to professionals but was new to me when a painter told me at a paint store. If you use tape to try to get a straight border between 2 colours (like ceiling & wall; wall & trim etc.) try this - it worked great for me. Take a white (flat) ceiling and beige wall as an example. Paint the ceiling & let it overlap onto the wall - the usual 2 coats. Then run your tape around the edge of the ceiling flattening as well as you can. Now you deliberately paint a narrow strip of white on the top of the wall overlapping it onto the tape. Use lots. Let it dry completely. Now you have a seal on the wall edge of the tape. If any creep happened it will not show on the ceiling being white on white. Then do your beige covering any white paint at the top of the wall and overlap the beige onto the tape. Now you can carefully remove the tape giving a straight line (as straight as you managed to apply the tape.) The white seal prevented the beige from getting under the tape onto the ceiling. Try it. It is easiest if the last coat is the darker colour but works either way. With the tape on the wall using beige to seal the ceiling edge, it will just take multiple brushings of white to cover up the beige seal.

DIY99 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DIY99 For This Useful Post:
Jmayspaint (02-25-2014)
Old 02-25-2014, 10:53 AM   #2

Good post. That method does work well.

Another way to seal the tape edge is with a thin smear of clear acrylic caulking. After taping run a very small bead along the edge of the tape then wipe it down smooth. This method is a little trickier and the tape needs to be pulled fairly quickly before the paint and caulk dries completely. But its useful when the surface you are taping to is not being painted, or is textured.

There are various other clear acrylic products that can be used instead of caulk.
Frog Tape sells a little bottle of edge sealer with some of there tape. That works well also, just more costly.

http://frogtape.com/index.php/produc...xtured-surface

Jmayspaint is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 11:01 AM   #3

Thanks Jmay. Caulk sounds better for stucco ceilings My house has lots of it.
DIY99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 05:24 PM   #4
paper hanger and painter

Or( easier, IMO) seal it with a small brush and Gardz
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 06:22 PM   #5

Just read frog tape now has one for texture. A roll of tape and a bottle of sealer that seals the edge of the tape I guess.
ToolSeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 12:23 PM   #6
Painting Contractor

Sounds like the method would work, but would be extremely time consuming. Why not just put the extra time into painting a straight line to begin with.
kkeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 03:05 PM   #7

I had to show an interior decorator that trick over the summer when she was painting stripes.
Old 02-27-2014, 12:01 PM   #8

When we were younger, my dad would make fun of artists who did "silly" abstract paintings like this. I can appreciate it a little more now.

p.s. try the 3M Edge-Lock tapes.

p.p.s I would never try this at wall/ceiling borders - never found a need for tape there, thus no bleed through. This is really for color borders out in the "open field", e.g. painting stripes like matthew's decorator.
Attached Thumbnails
Eliminate paint "creep" under tape-abstract1.jpg  

Last edited by jeffnc; 02-27-2014 at 12:04 PM.
jeffnc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 01:22 AM   #9

This is the method I use for razor sharp lines every time, even on heavy orange peel textures. Thanks for sharing!
bilug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 06:13 AM   #10

Eliminate 1 step and when you paint the ceiling and you are going to paint the walls. Don't tape the walls, deliberately bring the ceiling paint down the wall say 1/2". Then if you tape all you have to tape is the ceiling then when you paint the walls your wall cover will go over that 1/2". Do the same for cutting this makes it so much easier because you don't have to twist your neck to cut in the ceiling. When you cut the walls again you cover the 1/2" of ceiling paint on the walls and you are looking straight ahead to do your cutting.

ToolSeeker is offline   Reply With Quote