Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-12-2012, 11:58 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Electric Airless Sprayers?

I have a Huge 2 story Home that I entend to paint this Fall, and Have a Friend that has a Large Electric Airless Sprayer, But I hate borrowing tools, always have I would rather Buy, New or used? My qustion is with some many out there what have you had good luck with and why?

Thanks for your Time.
Dave/ splinter2

splinter2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 02:46 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 626

Graco is the best if you want one that will do the job the X7 is good for the home owner.

Nailbags is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Nailbags For This Useful Post:
Mr. Paint (06-14-2012)
Old 06-13-2012, 08:05 AM   #3
Rubbin walls since'79

Rewards Points: 2,000

Ever sprayed before? Not as easy as it may seem. I watched a neighbor ruin his roof, cement and paint all his windows. Wasn't pretty.
Not sure about the cars on the block.

If you do do this, and don't have much experience- try and get someone to help you who does. Lots to know.
user1007 (06-13-2012)
Old 06-13-2012, 08:25 AM   #4
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

Definitely make sure spraying is the option that makes the most sense for you and the material on your home. Everything, and I mean everything, you do not want painted is going to need to be masked off just to start. You will likely end up painting trim by hand anyhow.

As mentioned, if you have no experience with spraying find someone who does to coach you along.

I guess some of the homeowner class spray equipment is decent but you might think of renting nice high end spray equipment and maybe buying your own tips if you do not want to buy lesser equipment. Your qualms about borrowing and lending tools are sound. Just let my guard down and loaned some out to have them returned in pretty rough shape. My own fault. I knew better. Handing your neighbor back a mucked up sprayer will not win brownie points. Your order for a steak done medium rare on his new grill will not be taken seriously.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 11:13 AM   #5
jschaben

Rewards Points: 502

Quote:
Originally Posted by splinter2 View Post
I have a Huge 2 story Home that I entend to paint this Fall, and Have a Friend that has a Large Electric Airless Sprayer, But I hate borrowing tools, always have I would rather Buy, New or used? My qustion is with some many out there what have you had good luck with and why?

Thanks for your Time.
Dave/ splinter2
For a large, two story house, spraying is the way to go, BUT, reread Brushjockey's post. With no experience a large project is a heck of a way to learn.
You can likely buy a good sprayer for about the same as rental as you will likely be using it for 3 or 4 days. Spraying doesn't take much time but moving ladders, scaffolding and spray rigs do. I've had very good luck with the reconditioned sprayers. Stay away from the Craigs list or other individual sales. Those sprayers are pretty particular about being clean and many newbie spray owners just don't clean them adequately and consequently, after being stored awhile, they are hopelessly clogged with dried paint.
I've picked up a couple of sprayers from this outfit
http://www.gleempaint.com/airspray.html
I use a sprayer that uses a .015 maximum tip. I've had no issues with it but I do have to be careful of paint selection as some of the heavier bodied high end paints will require a .017 tip.
Good Luck.

"Where all think alike, no one is thinking very much"

Last edited by jschaben; 06-13-2012 at 11:16 AM.
jschaben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 10:01 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 202

i kept reading and comparing airless sprayers for about a month. ive wanted one for a long time. only ever heard good about Graco. after reading the reviews on homedepot and lowes site about the ITS17, lowes, and the X7, homedepots version, i went with the graco ITS17, got it at homedepot cheaper price, because they didnt stock it. anyway i havent used it yet but the 54 + reviews were all great. they also had the lts17 pro but i couldnt justify the extra $200.00. now if could only find something to paint.

hotrod351 is offline   Reply With Quote