Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-24-2011, 08:01 PM   #1
retired guy

Rewards Points: 77

efficient wall prep product

What do you guys recommend for an efficient (quick dry, no shrink) method to fill cracks and nail holes prior to painting? When I get on the job, I may find areas that need to be addressed before painting. I usually use a lightweight spackle (off the shelf at Lowes/Hd) and then cut the ceiling/baseboards/trim and return to sand and prime. Often, I can't continue due to the spackle not drying soon enough.

igneous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 08:13 PM   #2
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 2,916

There is no magic product that I know of---Most simple patching I use Durrabond 20 minute(powdered drywall compound) still--that can't be painted for at least 4 to 6 hours----

Old 02-24-2011, 08:29 PM   #3
ltd

Rewards Points: 508

i here you man i like spackle use it every day. for large patches i use sheet rock 20 set ,hot mud .but it not magic eather .it still takes time to dry .use a fan to help dry ,little nail holes i will patch and some times paint right over them is it right ?no oh well.some times i will roll first coat on walls and feather roll up to patch so now i have first coat on walls and patch has more dry time .then second coat i will roll over patch put fan on patch it drys quick then second coat all walls .i only do this on a one day in and out job .if its more than 1 day i hit all patches first then no problem
ltd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 08:33 PM   #4
Super Master Painter

Rewards Points: 250

use regular patch and a hair dryer or fan .or like the guys said, 20 set
Ole34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 04:48 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,236

In a pinch and if you're really in a hurry, Durarock Water Putty will bail you out. Mixes like quickset joint compound and sets up in about 10 minutes. Harder to sand but if you want something that sets up quickly, that'll work for ya.
Gymschu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 07:16 AM   #6
DIY staff

The problem with all of the 'quick set ' muds is this-----Yes,they are hard in a few minutes.

However they are still wet----if you paint a wet surface the paint can( and often will ) skin over but not bond properly to the high moisture patch.

This will crack --alligator-bubble or sag----If you get lucky and that doesn't appear to have happened'
there is a very good chance that that spot will lift right off when you do the second coat--

Perhaps a highly experienced painter could cheat--use a 'trick' to make this work--But failure is likely,

When advising a beginner it is always best to give the best methods--the trade standards --
Not 'tricks' --cut corner methods are the sign of a hack---

--If you use the best methods--your job will be a success---Mike----
Old 02-26-2011, 07:36 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 1,000

The best advice, imho, is to plan the job layout wisely. I never plan to do my painting on the day that I spackle. I use a three coat system, two coats of 45 minute compound followed by the final coat of premixed USG. The following day I sand, spot prime if necessary, then paint. For in between coat touch up work, I use light-weight vinyl spackle. It's easy to use, dries very quickly, and can be painted over immediately if needed and sanding isn't necessary. For a while, I was using three 45 min coats but found I was sometimes getting blisters on certain finishes. I'm thinking the heat from the plaster in the 45 was causing it, primed or not. Proper dry and recoating times were followed. I switched to my current system and haven't had any problems. I second oh mike's sentiments, quick dry compounds could be very problematic. Don't try that at home, we're trained professionals.
jsheridan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jsheridan For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (02-26-2011)
Old 02-26-2011, 09:04 AM   #8
retired guy

Proper planning is of utmost importance; I agree. The problem is that on a small job (1 or 2 rooms) the idea of removing furniture, etc. to fill/sand/prime on one day and come back and paint the next might not be cost effective. Often, the prep is for only 1 or two nail holes or corner cracks. These little fixes require down time before painting can begin. I appreciate the comment on proper trade practices and no cheating. That's why I'm in here.
Old 02-26-2011, 12:51 PM   #9
Super Master Painter

i dont know whats up with you guys having so many problems...........20 set will dry completely to the point were you could sand it off entirely to dust ................i paint right on after it sets up, never had a problem in my entire life ...........EVER
Old 02-26-2011, 01:00 PM   #10
Super Master Painter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsheridan View Post
I'm thinking the heat from the plaster in the 45 was causing it, primed or not
multiple coats of that stuff will create heat ..........i usually do
1-2 coats of quick set then 1-2 coats of blue top and never have problems..............sometimes maybe 1 quick set and 1 blue top depending on what i have to do
Old 02-26-2011, 01:19 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 2,236

Obviously no one WANTS to take short cuts and avoid proper painting procedures, but, in this business shortcuts have to be taken in many circumstances. Working for landlords who want an apt. painted (for example) TODAY because the renters move in TOMORROW requires some innovative thinking and creative shortcuts. Not saying it's right........but in a pinch and with a short time frame you gotta do what you gotta do or else you don't get paid.
Gymschu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 06:32 PM   #12
paper hanger and painter

Rewards Points: 2,192

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gymschu View Post
Obviously no one WANTS to take short cuts and avoid proper painting procedures, but, in this business shortcuts have to be taken in many circumstances. Working for landlords who want an apt. painted (for example) TODAY because the renters move in TOMORROW requires some innovative thinking and creative shortcuts. Not saying it's right........but in a pinch and with a short time frame you gotta do what you gotta do or else you don't get paid.
Again, you are gearing you're thoughts as a professional painter, which is all well and good, but we are here to help the home owner, who is not looking to get paid, just looking for some good advise.
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 10:35 PM   #13
retired guy

I have to say that as homeowner and a pseudo-painter, I appreciate all the good stuff I have been privy to read in this forum. I check in daily for advice and ideas, but I also am entertained by the personalities that just jump off my monitor. I would hire any of you and be glad to work along side as well.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to igneous For This Useful Post:
chrisn (02-27-2011), jsheridan (02-27-2011)
Old 02-27-2011, 03:12 AM   #14

Rewards Points: 500

Personally I like lightweight spackle, I have really good stuff although can't remember the name off hand...It's real fluffy to use, much lighter than typical spackle at big box stores.

all I can say is they sell the better stuff at paint stores-BM, general paint, etc.

Can't find the real good stuff at HD or lowes, in my experience
chrisBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 08:39 AM   #15
DIY staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by igneous View Post
I have to say that as homeowner and a pseudo-painter, I appreciate all the good stuff I have been privy to read in this forum. I check in daily for advice and ideas, but I also am entertained by the personalities that just jump off my monitor. I would hire any of you and be glad to work along side as well.
It's comments like yours that make this place fun and satisfying. Thank you.

----Mike-----