Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-21-2008, 12:53 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Question

eco-friendly paints?

I've been researching different zero-voc paints and have narrowed it down to AFM Safecoat and Mythic paint. Has anyone used either of these? There doesn't seem to be much information about the Safecoat on the internet, but it seems comparable to Mythic, which I've read practically no negative reviews of.

Safecoat is much less expensive and is available within an hour drive of here (Harrisonburg, VA). I'm tempted to go with it, but I'm worried about the durability. Has anyone had experience with Safecoat paint?

Thanks in advance,
Angie

angielatte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 08:28 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 502

eco-friendly paints?

Zero-VOC? That is a new one for me... I will mention that if Low-VOC paints are at all acceptable, you won't have to drive an hour to get them. Duration from Sherwin Williams is such a paint, and is also an extremely good product. (It is their current "flagship" paint.) If you are super sensitive to VOC's I can see why you would want one without them. But if you are just trying to be good for the environment, it may be far better for the earth to pick up Duration from a nearby Sherwin Williams than to drive two hours round-trip to get zero-VOC paint.

Your call,

SirWired

sirwired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 06:55 AM   #3

eco-friendly paints?

If anyone sells Davis Perfection you might want to look into that as well. I sell it here in Staunton. VA, not too far from Harrisonburg. Perfection is in the final stages of going Zero VOC. What I've got in stock in not the new Zero VOC product but I'll have it as soon as it's available. I don't know how the other two work but Perfection itself is Zero VOC but still uses Glycol based tints so that does add a bit of VOC to the final product but not much at all. Perfection also has the advantage of being a good ceramic paint with Microban in it. I'm guessing it will probably be a fair bit cheaper than Mythic as well though I haven't priced that product.

Tags
durability, environmental, mythic, paint, safecoat