Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-22-2009, 07:58 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Duration vs Behr paints

Hi - just joined and need advise quickly. Long story short, contracted with a painter who guaranteed for 7 years against peeling (contractor is son-in-law of neighbor so I figured I was safe). Gave me a price, I agreed, much discussion on paint and he said he was going to use Duration by Sherwin Williams. He said best paint, holds on well, will not peel, etc. Shows up today for a test color with a gallon of Behr. I know Behr is rated well, but now he is changing his tune 'is so much better than Duration, rode around and looked at my jobs and Behr is holding up much better, etc. etc." Contract also says 'sand/scrape and spot prime'. Both paints are self-priming. Duration costs $50/gal, and Behr at Home Depot is $32.98, a nice savings for him.

My feeling is that now if I can't trust him to use the paint he said he is going to use, I don't trust him at all. Will he really live up to his 7-year guarantee.

Anyway - has anyone had any experience with both/either paints? Which do you recommend? Should I just call this deal off as I feel he is being slimy about the whole thing.

Thanks

cam060304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 08:02 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

Duration vs Behr paints

Do a quick search on here for "Behr"
Several threads on issues

Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 08:08 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,052

Duration vs Behr paints

Duration = Lobster Dinner
Behr = $hit Sandwich

Long story short, go with another contractor. If a contractor wants to save money, then they can go with a lot better and cheaper paints than Behr. This guy is already flaking on the paint and he has a hole in his head if he thinks Behr is better than Duration.

BTW, Duration should not be used on an exterior as a primer requardless of what the can says. Primer is Primer and Paint is Paint.
Matthewt1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 05:27 AM   #4
paper hanger and painter

Rewards Points: 2,188

Duration vs Behr paints

Will he really live up to his 7-year guarantee.

You wanna bet you can find him in 7 years??

I have NEVER heard of ANY contractor guaranteeing a job for 7 years

BTW, Duration should not be used on an exterior as a primer requardless of what the can says. Primer is Primer and Paint is Paint.

Also take note of the rest of Matthewt's post
chrisn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 12:06 AM   #5
100 Year Family Tradition

Rewards Points: 75

Duration vs Behr paints

Quote:
Originally Posted by cam060304 View Post
Hi - just joined and need advise quickly. Long story short, contracted with a painter who guaranteed for 7 years against peeling (contractor is son-in-law of neighbor so I figured I was safe). Gave me a price, I agreed, much discussion on paint and he said he was going to use Duration by Sherwin Williams. He said best paint, holds on well, will not peel, etc. Shows up today for a test color with a gallon of Behr. I know Behr is rated well, but now he is changing his tune 'is so much better than Duration, rode around and looked at my jobs and Behr is holding up much better, etc. etc." Contract also says 'sand/scrape and spot prime'. Both paints are self-priming. Duration costs $50/gal, and Behr at Home Depot is $32.98, a nice savings for him.

My feeling is that now if I can't trust him to use the paint he said he is going to use, I don't trust him at all. Will he really live up to his 7-year guarantee.

Anyway - has anyone had any experience with both/either paints? Which do you recommend? Should I just call this deal off as I feel he is being slimy about the whole thing.

Thanks
It is the only reason he changed brands on you. If you goto get surgery, do you want a specialty doctor or a general surgeon?

Same goes for HD and Lowes. Why go somewhere that the person who is working paint one day was working plumbing the day before and garden the day before that? These big stores are Jacks of all products, but master of none.

Save yourself the headache and make him use the Duration over Behr. His original position was Duration. Make him stick to it or find someone else...
4ThGeneration is offline   Reply With Quote