Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-28-2009, 02:00 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Is Duration *really* a single-coat product?

I'm getting ready to paint my house. The plan is to pressure wash it Friday, and paint it Saturday - Monday.

The existing paint is in good shape, I just want to change the color (from light blue to light yellow). The siding is asbestos shingle.

Since my wife and I will be the ones doing the painting, we are tempted by the self-priming, single-coat claim made by Duration. Though in my experience, two coats always look better and more even.

In your experience, does the single coat of Duration look even and good? Or should we go with two coats of A-100 or SuperPaint?

If we go with A-100 or SuperPaint, should it be a prime + two coat affair?

Thanks for your thoughts

nelsonC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 04:41 PM   #2

You need primer. SW really needs to get thier act together with Duration claiming it is self-priming on an exterior.

I am afraid that even with Duration you will need two coats and yellows are even tougher. I would recommend the A-100 and some of thier oil based primer.

Matthewt1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 05:17 PM   #3
Painting Company, NY

With the Duration any bare surfaces still need to be primed. You would still need two top coats with the Duration. On our premium exterior painting we almost exclusively use A100 primer and SuperPaint, that's the only way I will warranty our work. You don't have to prime everything, but you will need to prime any bare spots and repairs, the SuperPaint will cover in two coats even though your going yellow over blue.
housepaintingny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 09:16 PM   #4

you still need 2 coats,sw calls the first coat the ''priming coat''
Tom Struble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 08:10 AM   #5

thanks for the responses, everyone.

we got the first coat on the house over the weekend, and got started on the second coat. a second coat was definitely needed. the yellow did not cover the blue. we're using a satin finish, which is pretty glossy. perhaps it'll dull a bit over time...

here's a tip for anyone else who might come across this thread while researching for their own project: make sure the color you select is not an "interior only" color. nobody told us this at the sw store as we were picking through color cards and buying samples...nobody told us one of the colors we'd sampled for our exterior was "interior only." we found this out after we had to return all the paint we had them mix, after we'd tested it and saw that the color was way off.

turns out, this particular yellow requires a tinted yellow base and sw has stopped making it with the exterior formula. to their credit, they made good on it for us. they located 11 gallons of this discontinued base between two local stores and were able to consolidate and tint for us.

we had planned to use superpaint, but this base was only available in duration, so we ended up with that. as I mentioned, it's most definitely a two-coat affair.

thanks for the heads up ya'll. and nothing ever goes as planned
nelsonC is offline   Reply With Quote