Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-10-2011, 04:05 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Duration Exterior Paint Problem

I'm a homeowner in Houston, TX. I just had my two-story home painted with Duration exterior paint - two coats applied to Artesan Hardiplank. Applied with a sprayer and the paint dried very streaky and uneven. The Sherwin Williams Rep said it would take about a week to dry thoroughly and the streakiness would go away. I found that to be unreasonable but decided to wait and see. A week later and it's still streaky. One wall even had a third coat applied by spraying and still dried uneven. I have complete confidence in the contractor. Their craftsmanship has been impeccable. How can this problem be fixed? Did the painter do something wrong? Use the wrong tip? The first coat I noticed was uneven, allowing some of the hardiplank primer (which is primed from the factory) to show through. I questioned the painter about this and he assured me the second coat would resolve the problem. Not so. He admittedly doesn't like using the Duration paint but that isn't the issue here. Is there a trick to getting this paint to apply evenly? Remember even the third coat dried streaky. I'm wondering if rolling or brushing another coat would solve the problem. Any advice from you professionals out there would be greatly appreicated. I've been trying to get pictures to show the streaks but I haven't been able to get it to show up clearly in a picture. Anyone else experience this type of problem? And, if so, how was it resolved.
Thanks,
Linda

Last edited by llanier; 10-10-2011 at 04:28 PM.
llanier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 04:54 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 250

I think the trick is to brush it on. Or at least back brush with the sprayer.

1910NE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 05:17 PM   #3

Thanks for the response but what is back brushing?
Old 10-10-2011, 05:17 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,236

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1910NE View Post
I think the trick is to brush it on. Or at least back brush with the sprayer.
This^^^^^ Duration is formulated to go on substrates VERY THICK. I'm guessing that the issue is with the sprayer? Not saying it can't be sprayed on, but, to get the proper mils of thickness, can be a bit tricky. Duration has a certain tackiness to it that lasts for quite a while, I'm sure it's the chemistry of the paint mix. I'm sure others will chime in.......I've never sprayed Duration, so I can't offer any personal experience along those lines.
Gymschu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 05:19 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,236

Quote:
Originally Posted by llanier View Post
Thanks for the response but what is back brushing?

191ONE is suggesting that the contractor brush the paint out WITH A BRUSH after spraying on the paint. He would lay down some paint on the house and then grab his brush and brush the paint out a bit to get it to spread evenly and at the proper thickness.
Gymschu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 05:58 PM   #6

Based on what I'm reading here, it has become painfully obvious to me the it was uneven as he was spraying it on. There would not have been enough paint on the house for him to backbrush it. It was so thin you could see the yellow Hardiplank primer through the first coat of paint. I have a gallon of it left and I'm going to brush paint a portion of the side of the garage to see how it looks. There is no way this paint went on thick at all. Thanks for all the comments and guidance. The SW Rep is coming out to inspect and I'm hopeful he will see the problem as I do.....that it was not applied properly.
Old 10-10-2011, 07:34 PM   #7
Framing Contractor

Rewards Points: 510

I am in no way a professional painter. I was however using some Duration today and can vouch for the thickness. I am guessing that they had to thin it to spray it on. I am surprised that the rep did not ask about that. I brushed two coats on some Fypon louvers and they look amazing.
sixeightten is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sixeightten For This Useful Post:
Gymschu (10-10-2011), llanier (10-11-2011)
Old 10-10-2011, 09:43 PM   #8
jschaben

Rewards Points: 502
Smile

I'm not experienced with Duration but I have sprayed a lot of different paints. I picked up a can of Duration a couple of months ago for some trim work I had and don't see any way to spray that stuff without thinning. At least not with my equipment. My guess is the question isn't whether it was thinned or not but what was it thinned with. Only stuff I've ever seen that might have been thicker is the old Glidden Gel-Flo, an old oil base I haven't seen in years.

"Where all think alike, no one is thinking very much"
jschaben is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jschaben For This Useful Post:
llanier (10-11-2011)
Old 10-11-2011, 08:27 AM   #9

Thanks for all the responses. I'm learning a lot here. I'm sure he must have thinned it because there were several instances when I saw it running and he had to wipe it. Since this paint is so thick, I can't see how it could run. But how do I get this problem fixed? I know the house needs to be repainted but should I allow them to spray it again or insist on brush or roller painting? Again, any suggestions are greatly appreciated.
Linda
Old 10-11-2011, 08:44 AM   #10

Rewards Points: 250

I would personally insist that the job was done with a brush, although it is likely to cost more.
1910NE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 09:25 AM   #11

Thanks for the suggestion. I agree with you about brushing. Fortunately, the contractor will be eating the cost since it was their mistake. I just hope they will agree to brush it.
Linda