Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-20-2012, 03:54 PM   #1

Share |

Duration

Hey guys,

I see everyone loves duration here. I used this in 3 rooms in my house and was kind of unsatisfied with my results. I am by no means a pro painter but have painted quite a bit. Was there possibly something wrong with my technique. I used purdy brush (XL-Dale), purdy roller covers (correct nap) (very keen on using good products) cut in with brush then, roll as close as I could to edges. I also primed the entire room with SW wall and wood primer, sand between primer and paint. I am soon going to be painting my upstairs bathroom and looking to try something else, but SW gives me 40% when the sale comes up. Could the issue I have be with something I did?
RegLearning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 04:14 PM   #2
paper hanger and painter

Duration

Quote:
Originally Posted by RegLearning View Post
Hey guys,

I see everyone loves duration here. I used this in 3 rooms in my house and was kind of unsatisfied with my results. I am by no means a pro painter but have painted quite a bit. Was there possibly something wrong with my technique. I used purdy brush (XL-Dale), purdy roller covers (correct nap) (very keen on using good products) cut in with brush then, roll as close as I could to edges. I also primed the entire room with SW wall and wood primer, sand between primer and paint. I am soon going to be painting my upstairs bathroom and looking to try something else, but SW gives me 40% when the sale comes up. Could the issue I have be with something I did?

I do not

You did not say what made you unsatisfied

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chrisn For This Useful Post:
jsheridan (02-20-2012)
Old 02-20-2012, 04:31 PM   #3

Duration

I have painted two deep colours and we find them to be hard to wash without leaving streaks and I can seem my brushmarks close to edges of corners and ceiling where i couldn't get my roller really close. The sheen on them was matte

Last edited by RegLearning; 02-20-2012 at 04:36 PM.
Old 02-20-2012, 04:35 PM   #4

Duration

Just did a room in Duration and liked the results. Went with matte. Can't see brush strokes along the cuts. What were the other issues you had?
asbury park is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 04:52 PM   #5
Painting Company, NY

Duration

Never have had a problem or have had a client have a problem where we have used Duration, but it does dry kind of fast and is best applied with two people. One person cutting and one person rolling behind him. You want to maintain that wet edge, but then again if any room is cut in prior to rolling with any paint and a wet edge is not maintained you will have problems. Never have had problems washing it either, as I have used it in my own house years ago.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

housepaintingny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 05:19 PM   #6
ltd

Duration

how many top coats did you put on ? you said you primed did the colors you chose require a gray primer? if they didn't you probably could have skipped the prime coat imo.anywho 2 top coats for me is standard.as for duration home and all the other companies ultra paint i just don't see it .for years super paint was s/w top of the line paint and for me its my every day paint .today i was rolling super paint flat it was beautiful ,it has a slight angle sheen to add to its wash ability. can you scrub it ?no but who does anyways. ok now trim yep., give me that utra paint.walls imo not necessary
ltd is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ltd For This Useful Post:
Gymschu (02-20-2012)
Old 02-20-2012, 07:36 PM   #7

Duration

We cleaned the walls today just to see. I did paint the room myself and cut in room the rolled. Not wet when I roll but never had issues like that before. I had to prime the room because I did alot of drywall work. I finsihed it with two coats cut in and everything. I maybe overworking my brush work but I can still see brush strokes in my finish coats.
Old 02-20-2012, 07:49 PM   #8

Duration

I've been using Sherwin-Williams' paints for 33 years. I AM NOT in love with Duration. For the price, it falls a bit short for me. I have had trouble with it covering some colors in two coats. That frustrates me. I prefer SuperPaint.........It's consistent......maybe not SW's very best, but, I know how it works and how it covers a wall. Definitely their workhorse paint.
Gymschu is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Gymschu For This Useful Post:
BraniksPainting (02-21-2012), Jay 78 (02-20-2012), ltd (02-20-2012), Nailbags (02-20-2012)
Old 02-20-2012, 08:11 PM   #9

Duration

I wish people would do home work before running to the big name paint store or the box store. The low down on paint is Paint has three things pigments binders "that is your acrylics and latex" and solvents pretty much water there. The solvents evaporate and leave behind the pigment and binders. around 1.4 mils thick. That said paint has about a 15 life once applied. Now knowing that and if your like most people and money is a option like it is in the real world. There are other paints out there that will do just as well as any top price paint. Just need to do ones home work. Now with that said If money was no option SWP every day. for me its Parker or Kelley-moor or Pratt& Lambert AKA Sherwin Williams. at 50 percent less. Sometimes your paying for the name along with the paint.
Nailbags is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Nailbags For This Useful Post:
Gymschu (02-21-2012)
Old 02-21-2012, 03:49 PM   #10

Duration

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nailbags View Post
I wish people would do home work before running to the big name paint store or the box store. The low down on paint is Paint has three things pigments binders "that is your acrylics and latex" and solvents pretty much water there. The solvents evaporate and leave behind the pigment and binders. around 1.4 mils thick. That said paint has about a 15 life once applied. Now knowing that and if your like most people and money is a option like it is in the real world. There are other paints out there that will do just as well as any top price paint. Just need to do ones home work. Now with that said If money was no option SWP every day. for me its Parker or Kelley-moor or Pratt& Lambert AKA Sherwin Williams. at 50 percent less. Sometimes your paying for the name along with the paint.
Exactly what homework didn't he do? He bought top of the line paint! Maybe by choice, maybe by suggestion. Just because he paid top dollar for the paint and he wasn't happy with the finish doesn't mean he didn't do his homework. What if he was using KM instead of SW? Maybe there is no KM store around him.
BraniksPainting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 05:15 PM   #11

Duration

Quote:
Originally Posted by BraniksPainting View Post
Exactly what homework didn't he do? He bought top of the line paint! Maybe by choice, maybe by suggestion. Just because he paid top dollar for the paint and he wasn't happy with the finish doesn't mean he didn't do his homework. What if he was using KM instead of SW? Maybe there is no KM store around him.
It appears to me that you get up set and almost take it personally when some one even hints that there are better paints out there then SWP almost like you work for them and if some one buy something else it is taking food out of your kids mouths.
All i did was point out paints that have just a good quality at less cost every one wants to save money. Yes you get what pay for in paint that is a fact. as long as a person does not go super cheap like under 32 per gallon then they have bought a good paint.
Old 02-22-2012, 11:34 AM   #12

Duration

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nailbags View Post
It appears to me that you get up set and almost take it personally when some one even hints that there are better paints out there then SWP almost like you work for them and if some one buy something else it is taking food out of your kids mouths.
All i did was point out paints that have just a good quality at less cost every one wants to save money. Yes you get what pay for in paint that is a fact. as long as a person does not go super cheap like under 32 per gallon then they have bought a good paint.
I don't get upset at all over people using other paints. In the decades of experience that I have I've used all kinds of paints. SWP, Ben Moore, PPG, Duron, Glidden, Porter, Martha Stewart, Sears, Wal-Mart, Dulux. The list goes on however some were not used by choice. I've never had the opportunity to use KM paint as it is not even in the tri-state area of where I live but that is not the issue you brought up. You've continued to bash people for using SW paints because they are more expensive than your Kelly Moore paints which most states do not even carry.

On another note, I totally disagree with you about not choosing a paint under $32.00 a gallon. This depends on the application. Perfect example, I use a ceiling paint that runs $17.00 a gallon and I've NEVER had a single issue or complaint from using it. It covers great, it hides and it's just good stuff.

Lastly, I recommend SW because that is what I use 90% of the time and that is what I have great success with.
BraniksPainting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 12:58 PM   #13

Duration

Fellas,

Just as a note I didn't want this to be an argument about which paints were better, but possibly issues with my techniques. Just saying...
Old 02-22-2012, 01:28 PM   #14

Duration

Quote:
Originally Posted by RegLearning View Post
Fellas,

Just as a note I didn't want this to be an argument about which paints were better, but possibly issues with my techniques. Just saying...
Reg, make sure you lube up that roller sleeve. I see people paint all the time & they barely get enough paint on the roller to put on the wall. Make sure it is full of paint, almost to the point of dripping wet. Having brush marks could be the same problem......you need plenty of paint in/on your brush before hitting the wall.
Gymschu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 06:25 PM   #15

Duration

Quote:
Originally Posted by BraniksPainting View Post
I don't get upset at all over people using other paints. In the decades of experience that I have I've used all kinds of paints. SWP, Ben Moore, PPG, Duron, Glidden, Porter, Martha Stewart, Sears, Wal-Mart, Dulux. The list goes on however some were not used by choice. I've never had the opportunity to use KM paint as it is not even in the tri-state area of where I live but that is not the issue you brought up. You've continued to bash people for using SW paints because they are more expensive than your Kelly Moore paints which most states do not even carry.

On another note, I totally disagree with you about not choosing a paint under $32.00 a gallon. This depends on the application. Perfect example, I use a ceiling paint that runs $17.00 a gallon and I've NEVER had a single issue or complaint from using it. It covers great, it hides and it's just good stuff.

Lastly, I recommend SW because that is what I use 90% of the time and that is what I have great success with.
I don't bash SWP It is a great paint I simply point out other paints that can do the same at a lower cost and maybe those people don't know about those. I am sure in the tri state area you have great regional paints that I would love to use but can't get too.