Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-23-2007, 05:49 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

"Durabond" and insecticide

I have had a change of plans this summer, and will need to contract out 3/5 of my exterior painting job. I am finishing what I have started, and meeting with contractors for estimates on the rest. I've met with two, and they each have different ideas about how to proceed (one was soundly impressed with how I had gone about my job, the other had other suggestion but thought I'd done pretty well).

Anyhow, they each suggested something that I had not heard of, and that I am not excited about, but maybe I am wrong?

Contractor #1: I've got some mild woodpecker damage on the south and north peaks. (I haven't even heard a woodpecker up there since I moved in 11 months ago.) This contractor recommends mixing insecticide with the paint and painting, I believe, the whole house with the stuff. Apparently, one could once purchase paint with insecticide, but, as he put it, "The do-gooders did away with that."

Contractor #2: He suggests dealing with the chalking on my house with a product called "Durabond," which is mixed with the paint. Apparently, the bonds the paint to the chalk. He suggested doing that without cleaning the house, or I could have it cleaned first, too. He's used the product before, on a job two years ago, and it's still holding (which isn't much of a time test for me).

Whatcha think?

firsthomegal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2007, 08:12 PM   #2
Tired, Cold, and Damp

Rewards Points: 2,000

Hmmm...interesting
The insecticide thing, it's not really a big deal out here
They sell the shots at the paint store
If a customer has a problem with insects and wants extra protection, no problem to add the shot to the paint

As for using it for woodpeckers, that I haven't done
If the woodpecker has made a hole, an epoxy filler may keep them out, or they may eat around it
If there are that many bugs in the wood, then the wood needs replacing, and the bugs exterminated

I could see using it as a preventative measure I suppose
But have not run into that myself

The Durabond I've not run into either
A good cleaning is usually in order, especially on chalky paint
If it is real chalky, I might insist on a self-priming paint such as SW's Duration, or a separate primer
But I've not heard of a bonding additive

slickshift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2007, 08:36 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 250

Yes adding insecticed gets done, i have never been asked to add it to paint myself, but it happens.
As far as the durabond i have never used it either. I would tackle the job like this.
Cleaning the house either with bleach or another solution. I then would go around the house fixing what ever problems we discussed or problems that i brought to your attention after cleaning. I then would prime or spot prime needed areas. I then would proceed to painting your home.
You should try to find a reputal contractor, that has made you feel at ease within the manner of attending to your home, make sure you both see eye to eye as to the work to be done, and the price, get a detailed job proposal written up.
Workaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2007, 09:39 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by slickshift View Post
Hmmm...interesting
As for using it for woodpeckers, that I haven't done.
I guess I wasn't very clear....the woodpecker holes simply indicate possible insect problem. The insectide is not for the birds! But, like I said, the woodpeckers haven't been active out there since I bought the house. So they must not be finding much.
firsthomegal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2007, 10:35 PM   #5
Tired, Cold, and Damp

Rewards Points: 2,000

Ha ha...yeah I understood
No bugs, no woodpecker damage

I just haven't heard of using an insecticide in the paint to reduce woodpecker damage

I have a woodpecker family in my backyard
The fuzzyheaded babies are flying all around now...and actually making noise
(funny when they didn't make any noise when they were younger)
The thing is, they don't bother my house
If they did, I'd call the exterminator

I keep a few dead trees in the bog behind my house
They're happy, I'm happy
slickshift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 12:06 PM   #6

The insecticide can be an expensive additive depending on which one is being used. I wouldn't use it unless you know you are going to have a problem. As for the Durabond, it sounds a lot like Emulsabond to me. It's an oil additive that you put in latex paint to make it bond better to chaulky surfaces. You have to put it in the first coat only and put put paint over it on the second coat. If not it will cause further chaulking. Personally I find the stuff nasty to work with. I'd rather wash it down good and slap a coat of Zinsser Peel Stop on to bind any chaulking that is left. Then paint it.