Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-18-2013, 10:08 PM   #1

Share |

Durable Trim Paint

Hi everyone,

Wanted to see what the recommendation might be for an extremely durable interior trim paint. Going to be painting trim that was previously stained so it will definitely need some good prep work but outside of the prep what might be most durable.

Also, how often do you guys find trim needs to be touched up/repainted. I know obviously it depends on how high traffic the area is but lets say just normal wear and tear.

Thanks!

kcmccrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 12:52 AM   #2

Durable Trim Paint

The best latex interior trim enamel I have ever used is Duron Ultra Deluxe. It goes on great and holds up to about anything. I have used this paint, almost every time I needed trim enamel, for years.

retfr8flyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 03:27 AM   #3
paper hanger and painter

Durable Trim Paint

I agree with the Duron, unfortunately ,SW bought them out and it is no longer available here. Any QUALITY trim paint properly applied should last years. I tend to use BM Satin Impervo waterborne
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 08:06 AM   #4

Durable Trim Paint

I like the BM advance for durability. It is a water/oil hybrid. It has most of the application ease as a latex paint, and the durability of an oil. SW has a hybrid too, but I haven't tried it.
Jmayspaint is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 08:22 AM   #5
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Durable Trim Paint

I liked Ben Moore products like Impervo (or Impervex---I can never remember which is oil or waterbased) for glossier finishes and never used Advanced (more or less stopped working regularly and it is relatively new) which is touted as a waterbased product that acts like an oil finish. What it is is a waterbased product that leaves primarily an alkyd, not an acrylic film. Time will tell if that film is prone to yellowing like oil enamels were. People who use Advance really like it. The colorfastness, and non-yellowing properties of acrylics have been known the art world for ages. I think Advance offers extended work times and different leveling properties, like old oil finishes. Tradeoffs I guess.

Now I hope someone will correct me if I am wrong but many of the high gloss waterbased finishes only come in white or light tint bases so can only be tinted to light colors if this is an issue for you. If trim was to be darker I just ordered it in Regal Satin or Semi Gloss if the client wanted shinier. Or I worked in oil if the client would tolerate the fumes and extended drying time.

And as far as durability? What do you need? Resistance to scrapes and dings? The ability to wash the slimey prints of little ones from it? Color fade resistance? Non-Yellowing?
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 09:01 AM   #6

Durable Trim Paint

Since I am one of the only SW guys on here, I will recommend SW's Proclassic waterborne. Have done many trim projects over the years with it and all are still holding up years later. The white stays white and the gloss stays glossy.
Gymschu is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Gymschu For This Useful Post:
cdaniels (05-19-2013), ltd (05-19-2013), ToolSeeker (05-19-2013)
Old 05-19-2013, 09:16 AM   #7

Durable Trim Paint

As mentioned, any quality paint should hold up for years.With that being said, +1 for the Proclassic.
Gymschu (05-19-2013)
Old 05-19-2013, 10:03 AM   #8
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Durable Trim Paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gymschu View Post
Since I am one of the only SW guys on here, I will recommend SW's Proclassic waterborne. Have done many trim projects over the years with it and all are still holding up years later. The white stays white and the gloss stays glossy.
Nothing against ProClassic at all, or against most SW products. I just tended to favor Ben Moore as much for the service provided by the dealer and things as anything else. I never balked if someone suggested I paint with SW paints.

OP, if you are painting over varnished or polyed wood trim I would be sure and lay down a nice primer/underlay first. If you can stand working with a solvent product an nice alkyd one would be my choice. SW makes a great underlay product. Ben Moore too I am sure.
The Following User Says Thank You to user1007 For This Useful Post:
Gymschu (05-19-2013)
Old 05-19-2013, 12:21 PM   #9

Durable Trim Paint

Hi thanks for all the replies! I'm looking for something that is resistant to chips and scratches as it is a rental property. I'll look into all of the above products mentioned. I also do plan on using a primer!
kcmccrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 02:01 PM   #10
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Durable Trim Paint

Since it is a rental you could go super high end with the best resistant properties and perhpas luck out. Or you could use the satin or semi-gloss contractor latex/acrylics in either the SW or Ben Moore line and not be out so much money or be quite so disappointed when you have to repaint after tenants leave. The contractor grades only come in gallons and limited sheens in both lines as far a I know.

I believe SW's is still ProMar. I used to know and use a lot of SuperSpec from Ben Moore but I believe has been replaced by UltraSpec and EcoSpec (No VOC). Either is still much better stuff than box store paint and holds up well, just not as well as top of the line.

Tenants, even with credit and background checks, are a crap shoot. And you cannot tell from socio-economic background either. Trip and Muffy may do worst damage than anybody from the other side of the tracks, so to speak, would even think about, and with no remorse. They will also be furious you will not give the security deposit back just because of one or two 12" holes in the interior doors!

Definitely request the allowable limit---up to what the market will tolerate---in security deposit. Pay going interest rate on it even if not required of you. Walk through with a punchlist noting the condition of things at lease signing. Do your part and fix what is yours to fix in a timely manner. Don't be nosey about it but look over the place as part of an inspection when you switch out HVAC filters and so forth.

Specify tenants can put things up with pins, framing hooks, railroad spikes, etc. but please do not let them use adhesives, tapes and especially not those hideous 3M things that hype leaving no residue when you pull them off and that will not damage the wall when you do. Neither claim is close to true.

Last edited by user1007; 05-19-2013 at 02:06 PM.
Old 05-19-2013, 05:21 PM   #11

Durable Trim Paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdsester View Post
Nothing against ProClassic at all, or against most SW products. I just tended to favor Ben Moore as much for the service provided by the dealer and things as anything else. I never balked if someone suggested I paint with SW paints.

OP, if you are painting over varnished or polyed wood trim I would be sure and lay down a nice primer/underlay first. If you can stand working with a solvent product an nice alkyd one would be my choice. SW makes a great underlay product. Ben Moore too I am sure.
SDS I think this post says a lot as I feel a lot of brand loyalty falls to service provided and the dealer. When I lived in Ohio our local BM dealer was a butt and to be truthful, even though it had no bearing on the paint it soured me on the brand. I am getting over that and really use a lot of both SW and BM. I firmly believe if you were to take the labels off and stayed with compatible paint lines and bring someone in not knowing whice was whice they would have a hard time telling the difference.

ToolSeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ToolSeeker For This Useful Post:
user1007 (05-19-2013)