Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-30-2012, 07:12 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

drywall and wallpaper removal

I recently removed the wallpaper in our kitchen and dining room. I had someone come and patch the drywall damage that occured in a few areas. After spending some time here reading I am worried because I haven't washed all the paste off of the walls yet.

So, is this bad? Can I still wash the walls and remove the paste and not ruin the new drywall patches? Am I doomed to have bubbling paint? I am totally new to everything DIY, so any help would be greatly appriciated.

I have Guardz and Zinsser Cover Stain oil primer. Which would be best to use in this situation?

Thanks!

Hazelnut3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 07:21 PM   #2
Rubbin walls since'79

Rewards Points: 2,000

Do you just have a few spots of repair, or all over? You could do your best to wash around them. Or just wash the patches off too and do it right.

Either of your primers will do the job. But if you can't get much paste off it might be better to go with the oil.
You will probably have a rough surface- because of the paste. It might require a skim coat to get it smooth ( after the prime) .

Best plan- ignore the patches and clean thoroughly. Let dry, lightly sand to get any last "crumbles" off, prime with Gardz.
Do any repair needed, sand those, spot prime those ( or better yet complete prime with a pigmented primer so you can see any flaws left)
and then finish paint 2x.

Old 07-30-2012, 07:24 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,150

Hundreds of topics on this very subject........the search feature is your friend.

THe best approach is to get as much adhesive off the walls FIRST. After that, prime with Guardz to give yourself a good base to work with. Then, begin your patching. You may luck out and have no problems but the problem with patching holes while adhesive is still on the walls is that the patching compound CAN reactivate the paste and give you adhesion problems.
Gymschu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 07:31 PM   #4

Thanks for the fast response!

The whole wall wasn't patched but there are areas that will be difficult to work around. Washing everything it is

Do I still need to use an oil primer if I've sealed the wall with Guardz?
Old 07-30-2012, 07:35 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gymschu View Post
Hundreds of topics on this very subject........the search feature is your friend.

THe best approach is to get as much adhesive off the walls FIRST. After that, prime with Guardz to give yourself a good base to work with. Then, begin your patching. You may luck out and have no problems but the problem with patching holes while adhesive is still on the walls is that the patching compound CAN reactivate the paste and give you adhesion problems.
I've been reading past threads but haven't see anything specifically relating to patching in the wrong order...lol
Old 07-30-2012, 07:36 PM   #6
Rubbin walls since'79

Nope- Gardz seals it just as good ( in a different way..) than the oil.
Like the G-shoe says- lots of info here about it- spend a bit of time reading.
Old 07-30-2012, 09:22 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 2,150

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazelnut3 View Post
I've been reading past threads but haven't see anything specifically relating to patching in the wrong order...lol
Hazelnut, you might be right about that!
Gymschu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 11:06 PM   #8
ltd

Rewards Points: 506

yep guardz will seal paste and give a good base for your finish paint .but for me i like cover stain oil. the reason .it gives you a white finish ,that will grip on anything and gives you a nice soft stipple .
ltd is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ltd For This Useful Post:
Gymschu (07-31-2012)
Old 08-12-2012, 11:07 PM   #9

Thanks to you all! I ended up washing the walls and applying guardz. Then we patched and primed the whole thing again with cover stain. 2 coats of BM regal select and it looks great!
This was my first time using Benjamin Moore(previously we've used glidden duo) and it was awesome
Old 08-13-2012, 04:24 AM   #10
paper hanger and painter

Rewards Points: 2,120

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazelnut3 View Post
Thanks to you all! I ended up washing the walls and applying guardz. Then we patched and primed the whole thing again with cover stain. 2 coats of BM regal select and it looks great!
This was my first time using Benjamin Moore(previously we've used glidden duo) and it was awesome

Glad it worked out but just for you're info, you wasted about $30(at least) with wasted primer. One coat of either would have done the job. You just wasted time and $$ with 2 coats. What I am saying is that the Gardz or Coverstain would have workrd, no need for both.
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 07:03 AM   #11

The dining room was a bright red/orange. One of the walls turned out to be just paint and not painted over paper. Since guardz is clear, we wanted to use something that would help hide the color on that side. I figured if I was using a regular primer on one side, I shoudl use it on all the rest of the walls. I didn't want anything to look different over there. Would it have mattered?
Old 08-13-2012, 09:59 AM   #12
Rubbin walls since'79

Your fine Hazel- glad it worked out.
Old 08-13-2012, 04:24 PM   #13
paper hanger and painter

Rewards Points: 2,120

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brushjockey View Post