DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Drywall taping and skim coats

6K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  slickshift 
#1 ·
Hi, has anyone used the drywall mud in the blue bucket, the light weight stuff? Is it any better than the regular mud in the green bucket. Thanks

#2 ·
HH,

The Blue bucket has less water content in it. The main benefit is for the top/ finish coat (Final coat before sanding). It has a finer sand grain to it, so it sands to a 'smoother' less granular surface. The final coat is VERY thin, barely 1/16" in thickness. Also, less air bubbles with Blue top.

Use the green bucket for doing your 1st and 2nd coats. These shrink less than the blue top. Make sure that you add water and mix it up with a paddle and power drill to loosen it.

#3 · (Edited)
Okay, I was wondering why the darn thing was drying up so fast! I taped up some seams with the blue one. The areas on the walls were okay, but the ones on the ceiling are not so okay. Is there anyway I can repair the taping on the ceiling, or will the second coat with the green one do it? Should I try to pull the tape out or should I just skin coat it with the green one. Thganks

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.