Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-15-2013, 09:10 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Drywall primer over latex paint?

Hey just wondering if I can use drywall primer (latex) on previously painted walls (also latex)? I have about 1500 sq ft to prime and found a guy selling a nearly full 5 gal pail for $20... just wondering if I can save some money here.

Phill Robertson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 09:32 PM   #2
Rubbin walls since'79

Rewards Points: 2,000

Why are you priming at all? If the walls are sound, you should be able to go straight to paint.

Old 03-15-2013, 09:43 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 4,152

Only reason you would need to prime is lots of wall repairs or drasticly changing the colors.
Are you even 100 % sure this paint have never been frozen or just old?
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 10:10 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,234

$20 for 5 gallons of primer? Was this guy wearing a trench coat and standing at the corner of Main and Sucker? I guess it's a good deal if: 1) you really need the primer, but you don't 2) it's actually a real primer and not a leftover "honey bucket" from a local construction project.

As Joe and Brush stated, you don't need primer on sound, already painted walls. Use that $20 to buy same SW or BM paint from your local paintstore or invest in a quality paintbrush for your project.
Gymschu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 10:18 PM   #5
Rubbin walls since'79

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
Only reason you would need to prime is lots of wall repairs or drasticly changing the colors.
Jow- you don't use primer to change colors. You haven't been paying attention. Again.
Gymschu (03-16-2013)
Old 03-15-2013, 10:31 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brushjockey View Post
Why are you priming at all? If the walls are sound, you should be able to go straight to paint.
The walls are currently baby blue latex and were painted over 5 years ago. I was thinking of painting light gray or brown. You don't think I would need a primer for the new color?
Phill Robertson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 07:37 AM   #7
Rubbin walls since'79

No. Primers are not great at coverage, what they do is solve problems. If your paint is sound, not a lot of repairs, latex sticks to latex just fine. If it is very glossy ( which hopefully it's not on walls) a sand to give the new paint something to grip to is good. In general a quick sand with a sponge sand block or a hand sander to knock off any nubs is always a good idea for a better looking job.
Primers have more resin in them ( and there are a LOT of different kind of primers- for different problems) Paint has more pigment and so is better at getting coverage. But always plan on 2 coats. The one coat idea is usually wrong. And better paint has better ingredients- gives better coverage and wears better.