DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (http://www.diychatroom.com/)
-   Painting (http://www.diychatroom.com/f4/)
-   -   drywall primer choice (http://www.diychatroom.com/f4/drywall-primer-choice-122242/)

autx790 11-03-2011 07:40 AM

drywall primer choice
 
Sorry, this topic is probably frequent, but i've searched and googled and haven't seen a discussion or review on the paint i'm looking at. I'm trying to figure out what primer to use for new drywall. I saw lowes has a valspar drywall primer that says it hides imperfections and is also well reviewed, but my local paint store, which i'd prefer to shop at has Pittsburgh Paints speedhide high build primer. I'm not familiar with that paint. Would that be better than the Valspar and a good choice? They're about the same price around $50/5 gallons.

iminaquagmire 11-03-2011 09:44 AM

Use the Speedhide.

chrisn 11-03-2011 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iminaquagmire (Post 762930)
Use the Speedhide.


most assuredly :yes:

Gary in WA 11-03-2011 11:42 PM

One coat before and after texturing: http://gypsum.org/pdf/GA-216-2010.html

I'll move you to "Painting".

Gary

chrisn 11-04-2011 05:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GBR in WA (Post 763519)
One coat before and after texturing: http://gypsum.org/pdf/GA-216-2010.html

I'll move you to "Painting".

Gary

Who mentioned texturing?:huh:

autx790 11-04-2011 07:02 AM

Thanks for the feedback! I bought 10 gallons of the speedhide and so far am a bit disappointed. It does not seem to hide any imperfections and is so far going to take 2 coats. I did one room and after the first coat I could still easily see the grey behind the drywall. It was covered with the paint but still showed through. I put a second coat on (assuming this was necessary) and to get one room, which is about 14x14 done (walls and ceiling) took me about 3 gallons. So i'm trying to figure if the paint is no good or am i no good. Do I really need 2 coats? And does this paint really not cover more area per gallon?

ltd 11-04-2011 08:00 AM

imo no primer is going to hide imperfections:no:, now minimize ok i buy that.1 coat of primer at proper spread rate. dip and roll dip and roll don't stretch you coverage and run roller dry. then 2 coats quality latex paint in a flat ,or no more than a satin finish:)

DrHicks 11-04-2011 08:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by autx790 (Post 763585)
Thanks for the feedback! I bought 10 gallons of the speedhide and so far am a bit disappointed. It does not seem to hide any imperfections and is so far going to take 2 coats. I did one room and after the first coat I could still easily see the grey behind the drywall. It was covered with the paint but still showed through. I put a second coat on (assuming this was necessary) and to get one room, which is about 14x14 done (walls and ceiling) took me about 3 gallons. So i'm trying to figure if the paint is no good or am i no good. Do I really need 2 coats? And does this paint really not cover more area per gallon?

Drywall primer really isn't used to hide the color of the drywall. It's used for sealing and adhesion. After 1 coat, you'll almost certainly still see your taped joints & screw holes.

If your mudding is done right, you won't have a problem. The paint will cover everything.

autx790 11-04-2011 09:08 AM

Thanks guys. I wasn't sure if being able to still see the drywall color showing through meant it wasn't completely sealed and would need a second coat. I'll proceed on with laying 1 coat primer on well and then doing 2 finish coats. I guess I also had it in my head that people had said if you use a good primer you wouldn't need two finish coats and it's better to do 2 coats primer because it costs less.

chrisn 11-04-2011 10:34 AM

[quote=autx790;763642]Thanks guys. I wasn't sure if being able to still see the drywall color showing through meant it wasn't completely sealed and would need a second coat. I'll proceed on with laying 1 coat primer on well and then doing 2 finish coats. I guess I also had it in my head that people had said if you use a good primer you wouldn't need two finish coats and it's better to do 2 coats primer because it costs less.[/quote]


It may cost ess but it is NOT the way to do it. As already posted 1 coat of primer( which will not hide imperfections and will show through) 2 finish coats.

Gary in WA 11-04-2011 04:56 PM

chrisn, when I saw "I'm trying to figure out what primer to use for new drywall.", I figured since he was painting it that the application would be in a living space, not the garage. Very rarely do we see someone skim coating (with one coat of primer) rather than texturing questions on this forum. Many people don't understand the value of primer before texturing, as I'm sure you do. So, I added my 2 cents, sorry if that answer doesn't fit in with your line of thinking.

Gary

chrisn 11-05-2011 03:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GBR in WA (Post 763880)
chrisn, when I saw "I'm trying to figure out what primer to use for new drywall.", I figured since he was painting it that the application would be in a living space, not the garage. Very rarely do we see someone skim coating (with one coat of primer) rather than texturing questions on this forum. Many people don't understand the value of primer before texturing, as I'm sure you do. So, I added my 2 cents, sorry if that answer doesn't fit in with your line of thinking.

Gary


No need for sarcasm. I still do not get the texturing part. He said he was painting new drywall and wanted to know what primer to use. I also assumed it was in a living space not the garage. I see no mention of skim coating or texturing( which to me is applying a textured coat of JC) Maybe I am just stupid.

Gary in WA 11-05-2011 11:13 AM

I wasn’t trying to be sarcastic, sorry if it came across that way. Very hard to read someone's body language over the internet with just words. I also have difficulty putting my words in to writing, I don't type like I talk..... plus, I don't use the smiles or other icons available.
You are certainly not stupid as I enjoy reading your experienced answers in "Painting'. As said, the OP said new drywall- I presumed texturing, perhaps wrong, maybe not. This isn't a big deal to me, many posters add information they want to share, irrelevant or not... what's the point, no harm-no foul? I just read on, ignoring the answer unless it is a wrong answer. I will then back-up the correct answer with a site or two to prove my point.

Just showing the new drywall boards, including taped joints and ends, would need priming/sealing before texturing or they would stand-out later, telegraphing through--ghosting. Priming after to meet the paint warranty and provide better stick for the color coat. http://books.google.com/books?id=lO8...exture&f=false I added that when I read "priming new drywall" = ghosting----that's how my brain works.


If there is still a problem here, PM me and we can discuss it further, not to take further valuable space from the OP.

Gary

Brushjockey 11-05-2011 06:24 PM

One thing it is easy to forget- some parts of the country always texture walls- some always leave smooth. We tend to think from what we deal with ourselves.
I know Chris is from the smooth part...

chrisn 11-06-2011 03:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brushjockey (Post 764536)
One thing it is easy to forget- some parts of the country always texture walls- some always leave smooth. We tend to think from what we deal with ourselves.
I know Chris is from the smooth part...


That' s it, eureka! :yes:I knew I was missing something:whistling2:


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:15 PM.


Copyright © 2003-2014 Escalate Media LP. All Rights Reserved