Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-02-2012, 09:28 PM   #1

Share |

Drywall Primer

Remodeling a bedroom. We sanded all of the walls and ceiling prior to starting any repair work to smooth the surface and remove paint blobs, dust, lint, etc that was in the paint when the previous owner painted. Some areas, we had to replace and piece in new drywall. Lots of joint compound work due to nails pops and taping. I primed all of the walls and ceiling with Sherwin Williams Drywall Primer to seal the new drywall and joint compound, and to seal the old paint color. We are planning to paint with a satin finish. Do I need to use a different primer on top of the SW Drywall Primer or can I paint the satin finish over the SW Drywall Primer. I plan on at least 2 coats of the satin finish.

I am almost certain that I used the same primer when we completely gutted the powder room, installed all new drywall, and topcoated with a semi-gloss. But I can't remember for sure since it's been about 4 or 5 years when I did it, and I can't remember last week.

Last edited by cougar01; 04-02-2012 at 09:30 PM.
cougar01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 10:41 PM   #2

Drywall Primer

It will work fine, just use flat on the ceilings.

joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 10:51 PM   #3
ltd

Drywall Primer

sounds like you got it covered
ltd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 06:52 AM   #4

Drywall Primer

Thanks! Actually, I will use an eggshell or matte on the ceiling. We used a flat paint on other ceilings in the past, and I found that if I had to wipe the ceiling for something it would create a shiny spot on the ceiling where I wiped. Flat paint, from my experience, doesn't like to be touched.
cougar01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 04:21 PM   #5
paper hanger and painter

Drywall Primer

[quote=cougar01;890836]Thanks! Actually, I will use an eggshell or matte on the ceiling. We used a flat paint on other ceilings in the past, and I found that if I had to wipe the ceiling for something it would create a shiny spot on the ceiling where I wiped. Flat paint, from my experience, doesn't like to be touched.[/quote]

In the old days this was true, not so much anymore with QUALITY flats.
chrisn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 07:30 PM   #6

Drywall Primer

I am thinking about using a primer in my paint for the living room to paint over paneling. I am planning on leaving the grooves as well. I need to know however, if the primer makes the paint a shade lighter? I thought I saw somewhere on here that primer makes it a shade different. Just need refresher about this. Thanks for all the help this site has been giving me and my brother. I LOVE this site. We still are plugging along, but we are making progress too.
annibelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 07:52 PM   #7

Drywall Primer

Quote:
Originally Posted by annibelle View Post
I am thinking about using a primer in my paint for the living room to paint over paneling. I am planning on leaving the grooves as well. I need to know however, if the primer makes the paint a shade lighter? I thought I saw somewhere on here that primer makes it a shade different. Just need refresher about this. Thanks for all the help this site has been giving me and my brother. I LOVE this site. We still are plugging along, but we are making progress too.
Hi Annibelle,

The primer will have no effect on the topcoat color. Just try to use a decent paint and it will cover great in just a couple coats.
DIYHelper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 03:10 AM   #8
paper hanger and painter

Drywall Primer

[quote=annibelle;892598]I am thinking about using a primer in my paint for the living room to paint over paneling. I am planning on leaving the grooves as well. I need to know however, if the primer makes the paint a shade lighter? I thought I saw somewhere on here that primer makes it a shade different. Just need refresher about this. Thanks for all the help this site has been giving me and my brother. I LOVE this site. We still are plugging along, but we are making progress too.[/quote]

Bad idea with paneling. Un painted paneling will need to be CLEAN, lightly sanded, cleaned again, primed with a bonding primer,( not a paint and primer in the same can type of bad deal) then do you're 2 top coats.
The Following User Says Thank You to chrisn For This Useful Post:
ltd (04-06-2012)
Old 04-06-2012, 03:26 AM   #9

Drywall Primer

oops, I didn't give enough info either...The paneling in LR has previously been primed and two coats of paints applied before. My brother and I are redoing my whole house!!! I am going with off white Gilded Endive-Valspar? It is the same color that I used previously and not that long ago. My brother hates primer and I love it. I sanded it and washed it twice. I hope this is enough prep. I have one area I have still got to use some joint compound and I will do that this a.m. Thanks for info.
I decided I want my living room back sooner, so I am not fooling with filling in the grooves. I have in the rest of the place however.
Old 04-06-2012, 05:27 PM   #10
paper hanger and painter

Drywall Primer

Quote:
Originally Posted by annibelle View Post
oops, I didn't give enough info either...The paneling in LR has previously been primed and two coats of paints applied before. My brother and I are redoing my whole house!!! I am going with off white Gilded Endive-Valspar? It is the same color that I used previously and not that long ago. My brother hates primer and I love it. I sanded it and washed it twice. I hope this is enough prep. I have one area I have still got to use some joint compound and I will do that this a.m. Thanks for info.
I decided I want my living room back sooner, so I am not fooling with filling in the grooves. I have in the rest of the place however.

Well in that case, WHY do you need a supposed paint and primer in one?, just plain old everyday paint that has been around for God knows how long will work.
Old 04-06-2012, 06:48 PM   #11

Drywall Primer

Oh ok thenl...LOL. Sometimes simple is best answer! I have learned so much by having to do a few things with the repairs, but there are so many things to learn about and remember. I had just wanted to paint and now I can just do it! LOL