Drywall And Paint Stained With Mold? - Painting - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-22-2012, 08:48 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Drywall and paint stained with mold?

Hello all,

I've recently moved in to a house which has been neglected in the past few years. Some of it has been rehabbed before I arrived, and I've been tasked with rehabbing the rest of it.

The house previously was wallpapered in every room. One room had the paper removed last year and there was tons of mold (mildew?) beneath the paper. No further work was done on that room until now. I've been in there trying to remove the mold, with a water/vinegar mix and a water/bleach mix, both of which seem to work well. However, it seems the paint (there was paint beneath the old wallpaper) is stained from the mold sitting for so long. I've scraped the paint off in some areas, right down to the drywall beneath, and even that seems to be stained.

Are the stains I'm seeing actually more mold? (I have taken photos but I am unable to get them on to my laptop, which in itself is a long and complicated story).

If they are more mold, is my only option to remove the drywall and replace, or can I use a product like Kilz to seal it in? This discoloration is on 75% of the wall surface in the entire room.

Also, this mold is black in color. Is all mold colored black what's known as 'black mold' (the dangerous kind)? I have severe mold allergies and have worked quite a bit in this room with no ill effects, if thats any indicator.

Also, no other room in the house has had these issues. All other walls are fine beneath their wallpaper.

I will really try to get my laptop issues sorted tonight so I am able to post some photos.

-Rick

Advertisement

rickjames8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 09:09 AM   #2
Old School

Rewards Points: 75

I would suggest before you do anything figure out how/why there was mold to begin with. You'll have to address that issue before doing anything to that wall, IMO.

Advertisement

cabinetman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 04:43 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 296

Agree completely- the source of the mold (moisture) needs to be corrected first. The growth of black mold implies that the spores have expanded in a huge fashion. If mold has grown through the paint film, it needs to be removed completely.
Will22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 06:02 PM   #4
paper hanger and painter

Rewards Points: 2,224

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickjames8 View Post
Hello all,

I've recently moved in to a house which has been neglected in the past few years. Some of it has been rehabbed before I arrived, and I've been tasked with rehabbing the rest of it.

The house previously was wallpapered in every room. One room had the paper removed last year and there was tons of mold (mildew?) beneath the paper. No further work was done on that room until now. I've been in there trying to remove the mold, with a water/vinegar mix and a water/bleach mix, both of which seem to work well. However, it seems the paint (there was paint beneath the old wallpaper) is stained from the mold sitting for so long. I've scraped the paint off in some areas, right down to the drywall beneath, and even that seems to be stained.

Are the stains I'm seeing actually more mold? (I have taken photos but I am unable to get them on to my laptop, which in itself is a long and complicated story).

If they are more mold, is my only option to remove the drywall and replace, or can I use a product like Kilz to seal it in? This discoloration is on 75% of the wall surface in the entire room.

Also, this mold is black in color. Is all mold colored black what's known as 'black mold' (the dangerous kind)? I have severe mold allergies and have worked quite a bit in this room with no ill effects, if thats any indicator.

Also, no other room in the house has had these issues. All other walls are fine beneath their wallpaper.

I will really try to get my laptop issues sorted tonight so I am able to post some photos.

-Rick

it cannot be sealed in, it needs to be removed
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 08:14 AM   #5

Thanks for the replies.

The source of mold was known from the start. There was a pipe burst in the room above which soaked everything in the room below (it was used for storage - mostly clothing and sheets etc). The previous occupants solution was to just close the room and hope the problem went away. When that didn't work after a couple years, they let it go a couple more. You get the idea. The walls don't look as bad as the stuff that was in there.

On the wall issue, I may have spoken too quickly. My test areas where I found mold beneath the paint were areas that the paint had started to peel off and thats how the mold got beneath there - those areas I will remove the drywall and replace. This should also give me a good chance to check out the state of whatever is *behind* the drywall. For the rest of the wall, more aggressive scrubbing with a steel-wool type pad has taken off the top layer of paint and left a clean smooth wall beneath it. A tedious job, but easier than replacing drywall.

-Rick
Old 08-23-2012, 06:05 PM   #6
paper hanger and painter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickjames8 View Post
Thanks for the replies.

The source of mold was known from the start. There was a pipe burst in the room above which soaked everything in the room below (it was used for storage - mostly clothing and sheets etc). The previous occupants solution was to just close the room and hope the problem went away. When that didn't work after a couple years, they let it go a couple more. You get the idea. The walls don't look as bad as the stuff that was in there.

On the wall issue, I may have spoken too quickly. My test areas where I found mold beneath the paint were areas that the paint had started to peel off and thats how the mold got beneath there - those areas I will remove the drywall and replace. This should also give me a good chance to check out the state of whatever is *behind* the drywall. For the rest of the wall, more aggressive scrubbing with a steel-wool type pad has taken off the top layer of paint and left a clean smooth wall beneath it. A tedious job, but easier than replacing drywall.

-Rick

be prepared to be shocked ( not by electricity)
Old 08-24-2012, 08:08 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisn View Post
be prepared to be shocked ( not by electricity)
I am a little shocked. It's not actually drywall, but rather a plaster wall which I originally thought was drywall. I feel a bit sheepish for not figuring that earlier, and now that I knock on the wall, it's obvious - I've just never worked in a house with plaster walls before. So there is no 'behind' the inner wall. The inner wall is attached (plastered) to the outer wall. The interior walls are brick layered with plaster.

This is basically a farmhouse which is 250-300 years old and I'm not sure when these walls were put in, but my guess is maybe 50-70 years ago (sometime after WW2). All the owner knows is that the walls have been laid out in here like this for at least 30 years.

That said, I'm on day 3 of scrubbing and its coming clean. Once I figure how to pair my phone with my laptop, I'll post photos.

-Rick
Old 08-24-2012, 10:44 AM   #8

Although this issue is more or less resolved with a lot of elbow grease, I have finally paired my phone with my laptop and thought I'd post a photo. Sorry about the quality, its a phone camera - my wife is away with the good camera at the moment. The area on the right has been scrubbed, the area on the left not.

Last edited by rickjames8; 08-24-2012 at 10:47 AM.
Old 08-24-2012, 05:45 PM   #9
paper hanger and painter

I have had good results with this from Lowes

http://www.tilex.com/mold-and-mildew...FZESNAodHEoAng
Old 08-25-2012, 06:12 AM   #10

Rewards Points: 75

Looks like the mold is feeding on wallpaper paste residue. After cleaning and disinfecting as best as you can (like really well), if you're going to paint the walls I would prime with this product Amteco Mildew Sealer. http://www.amteco.com/products_mildew_sealer.php

Advertisement

dogris is offline   Reply With Quote