Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-24-2007, 08:48 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Doors - How much to charge?

I've never posted on a forum before - just started painting on my own. What is the going rate to charge for re-coating interior doors that have a coat of primer? Also, the hardware was painted over. Do I take the doors down and hardware off? Thanks - this is a really helpful site.

lmark5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 09:19 PM   #2
made in U.S.A.

Rewards Points: 75

Need more info :

1. How many doors?
2. Solid, or hollow core?
3. Brushed or sprayed? (we won't brush doors)
4. Single or two story house?
5. Is there an area to build a temp spray booth?

With the price of new hinges it's not worth cleaning the old ones...unless the old ones are collectable.

If we do use the old hardware all hinges are removed one at a time, taped closed and marked. We draw a map of the whole house, each component is reinstalled in its exact location and position.

Last edited by Hamilton; 07-24-2007 at 11:36 PM.
Hamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 09:26 PM   #3

Oh - thanks for that really quick reply! Well, there are 23 interior doors (including closets) in this single-story house. Some are solid and some are hollow (sorry, not much help). They've been brushed very sloppily with what looks like one coat of primer. Maybe I'm getting in over my head. I was thinking of something like $20 per door (not including hardware, which is cheap junk) to run a couple of coats of semi-gloss. I wouldn't be spraying them (don't have a sprayer, but I suppose I could rent one if it were better to do). There isn't a place to spray (my back yard?). Thanks again!
Old 07-24-2007, 11:50 PM   #4
made in U.S.A.

That's a job for a least three guys. Those doors will need to be heavily sanded, prepped and cleated. It takes two guys just to haul around each solid core door. We lay our doors flat on saw horses, after attaching cleats, and spray one primer coat and two finish coats. Temporary plywood doors will need to be built for the exterior openings during work.

I would bid that, including exterior doors, for roughly five days for three guys @ $30 per man hour.

120 man hours x $30 = $3600 + approx $200 in materials.

$3800.
Old 07-25-2007, 07:30 AM   #5
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Rewards Points: 2,000

Check out these other these other "Sister Sites":

http://www.painttalk.com/

http://www.contractortalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8

You'll find alot of useful information.
AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 09:49 AM   #6
Paint/Faux Artisan

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmark5 View Post
Oh - thanks for that really quick reply! Well, there are 23 interior doors (including closets) in this single-story house. Some are solid and some are hollow (sorry, not much help). They've been brushed very sloppily with what looks like one coat of primer. Maybe I'm getting in over my head. I was thinking of something like $20 per door (not including hardware, which is cheap junk) to run a couple of coats of semi-gloss. I wouldn't be spraying them (don't have a sprayer, but I suppose I could rent one if it were better to do). There isn't a place to spray (my back yard?). Thanks again!
That's a lot of doors without a sprayer for sure. We always negotiate a place on site because pick up/delivery can mess up new finish. We use a garage or vacant room- drape a curtain of plastic around perimeter, cover floors with red rosin paper (Home Depot), set up doors in an accordion fashion using braces or 1X2's screwed into the tops. This allows spraying all the doors- both sides, efficiently.

Your biggest time consumer at that point is the prep to get them ready- I'd do all the sanding on a saw horse first, and set up each one into the accordion configuration as they're prepped. Vacuum all and you're ready. THEN go rent a sprayer for a day. It takes five-7 minutes to spray a coat on a door this way.

$20 bucks a door is way too cheap. It takes a few hours to set up a spray area, 5-7 minutes per door to remove/rehang, a few minutes to remove hardware, probably half hour or so to prep each one minimum. If you're doing more than one coat it's even more.

Don't sell yourself too cheaply- your time has to be worth more than this, unless you're desperate for cash flow.

Bay Area Painting Contractor
Da Vinci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 11:29 AM   #7

Thank you all so much - not sure what to do now, but I have some great advice from you pros!
Old 07-29-2007, 01:45 AM   #8

It all will in the boil down t ur preferences.U will have to decide on what U got to do.But ur best available option is

Quote:
That's a lot of doors without a sprayer for sure. We always negotiate a place on site because pick up/delivery can mess up new finish. We use a garage or vacant room- drape a curtain of plastic around perimeter, cover floors with red rosin paper (Home Depot), set up doors in an accordion fashion using braces or 1X2's screwed into the tops. This allows spraying all the doors- both sides, efficiently.

Your biggest time consumer at that point is the prep to get them ready- I'd do all the sanding on a saw horse first, and set up each one into the accordion configuration as they're prepped. Vacuum all and you're ready. THEN go rent a sprayer for a day. It takes five-7 minutes to spray a coat on a door this way.

$20 bucks a door is way too cheap. It takes a few hours to set up a spray area, 5-7 minutes per door to remove/rehang, a few minutes to remove hardware, probably half hour or so to prep each one minimum. If you're doing more than one coat it's even more.

Don't sell yourself too cheaply- your time has to be worth more than this, unless you're desperate for cash flow.

HiFi is offline   Reply With Quote